Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio What cable lets my JVC head unit know if the headlights are on or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:31 PM
swunder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What cable lets my JVC head unit know if the headlights are on or not?

Hey everyone, my passenger side speakers randomly go out... radio... cd... Bluetooth... doest matter. Happens usually when I hit a bump but sometimes on flat road too.

Turning my headlights on brings the speakers back on as well...I can turn the headlights off right away and he speakers stay on (until the next bump). So I drive all the time just flicking my lights on and off to get the speakers back on... very stupid.

So is there some wire I can check? The head unit changes to night colors when the lights are on so there is definitely some connection there. This is a jvc unit connected to a stock HK system with the hk enabler and steering wheel control unit.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird, but mine started doing the same thing. I've got stock head unit but aftermarket amp and speakers..

I just added the center aux gauges under the toggle switches and tapped into the grey wire with red stripe from the radio. I was wondering if my same speaker problem was due to me tapping that wire, which is exactly in the MINI install instructions, or if it was because I introduced a ground loop somehow..

With my radio off I can hear alternator whine through the right speakers. That makes me think short or ground loop. I'll try driving with lights on to see if that affects the right speakers cutting out but mine has nothing to do with bumps. I can be still, idling at a stop light and have the right speakers get quiet and then later come back to life. Very strange