Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio New aux input install - but power issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 AM
FreudsMomsRage
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New aux input install - but power issues?

I've successfully installed the aux input and my tablet plays music through it like a champ - except when the USB power is plugged in. I have a regular USB car charger with the standard Samsung USB cable, and when it's unplugged the AUX option shows up on the head unit and things work great. As soon as I plug in the power, though, the sound stops and AUX is no longer an available option.

Anybody have any ideas?

Pic for the curious. I decided to put the input down below the center control cluster in the middle of that little pop-off panel. You can barely see where the green 1/8" is plugged in behind the charger. The whole install took less than 20 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails New aux input install - but power issues?-minisoundsetup.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It's a common issue. You'll need to put a ground loop isolator like this (or similar) between the device and aux-in:
Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive

For more information, search on this forum for "ground loop isolator".

Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
FreudsMomsRage
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
It's a common issue. You'll need to put a ground loop isolator like this (or similar) between the device and aux-in: Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive

For more information, search on this forum for "ground loop isolator".
Thanks!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Zenoches
2nd Gear
Thank you for the post and the answer. Mine was doing it too and I thought I was going mental.