Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 05 R52 Radio Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 PM
OldDrummer55
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 R52 Radio Gremlins

Need some technical advice folks. My tale of woe: I parked my R52 with the top down at a friend's home one evening. When I left two hours later, I found his lawn sprinkler system was on an the interior of my MINI was soaked, including the instrument panel. The next morning I started the engine and a variety of maladies appeared: Heater unit came on and the controls would not respond; Audio system would not come on; water mist visibly blew out of the end of dash board vents... I'm sure I was launching missiles somewhere on the prairie too! Within a few hours the heater/AC system returned to normal, but the audio gremlins began their havoc. Radio worked; CD player worked; iPod/Auxiliary system would not work. Then the CD player quit working and still will not eject the CD. My iPod became very hot to the touch and now no longer works. Won't even power up! A few days later, I plugged an older iPod into the aux cable and it worked! So, radio works, iPod works, CD player doesn't work and won't eject the CD. But then I noticed when I would make tight turns, the speakers on the side I was turning away from quit! Jiggling the cable fixed that... Oh but wait... it gets better...

I purchased a new iPod, plugged it into the aux system and heard static. I grabbed the iPod and it was getting hot so I unplugged it from the system. Now the new iPod will not power up!!!! So... I think I need to replace the head unit... correct? I found numerous used/refurbished units on Ebay, but I'm not sure which units my 05 is compatible with. Will newer generation units work with my 05 wiring harness/speakers? I cannot afford to put a new, super audio system in and I'm quite content with my stock HK system (40 years or rock drumming does a number on your hearing...). Advice? Thanks... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psf18c23dd.jpg

Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
You can use the 'facelift' model shown, or even an earlier unit, as the harness is compatible. But don't go older than '04 as some of the earlier units didn't support aux-in.

So I have to know - did you park on the lawn, or does your friend need to adjust his sprinklers?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
My '63 TR, I drilled holes in the floor so rain water could drain out, Lucas was going to sizzle from time to time anyway. But the MINI, this has given me a new caution. I will now add asking about sprinkler systems when paying social calls from now on. Thanks for the heads up. Sure hope you can get your issues dried out.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:01 AM
OldDrummer55
1st Gear
My friend's sprinkler was not adjusted correctly and swept out onto the drive-way. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM
OldDrummer55
1st Gear
Purchased a used audio unit from an outfit in MN. Hooked it up and plays like a champ. But I've noticed when I plug the iPod aux (looks like a white iPhone/iPod OEM cable) into my iPhone, though it plays the cell starts to heat up. Bad cable? It runs up into the glove box and then out the side into the instrument tower. Dealer installed option?