Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Lightening y-cable for 2013 Mini S

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestCoastD
If it's as simple as you have shown here I don't see why this functionality would not be integrated into all (Mini) models that apply
It's kinda nuts. Other than having to 'reboot', it's been working great. In fact, I think it sounds even better than going through the y cable.

I assume there's some sort of technical reason it was done the way it was, but I can't fathom what it would be!

-Paul

Old 09-03-2015, 08:45 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul!
It's kinda nuts. Other than having to 'reboot', it's been working great. In fact, I think it sounds even better than going through the y cable.

I assume there's some sort of technical reason it was done the way it was, but I can't fathom what it would be!
interesting. So to re-clarify you're using just USB Lightning cable?

I can agree that the digital (USB) connection is better performance than the standard 3.5mm stereo jack connection. Yields higher level output. Also appears to be more dynamic range.

Last edited by WestCoastD; 09-03-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
interesting. So to re-clarify you're using just USB Lightning cable?
That's it. The very same that comes with the iPhone. So far, I've used Rhapsody, MINI Connected, Apple Music, and music stored on my iPhone. All work flawlessly.

I just recently found my old iPod (5.5 gen) that's charging up. Gonna try that on my way to work tomorrow.

-Paul

Old 09-17-2015, 09:46 PM
virgilante
Neutral

-Paul
They wouldn't be able to sell you a cable for $120

I got my K+DCAN cable in the mail a week ago, but with Abner in the shop for 12 days it'll be a while before I can try this out.

Last edited by virgilante; 09-17-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:02 AM
g35mt
2nd Gear
paul,

thank you so much for that. it work perfectly. Now i don't have to spend 100 bucks for cable. I was able to play music and mini connected app.

A. Of sorts, yes.
B. Sorry, 'MEDIA' is the module. It dumps a text string into a .TRC file (not FSC, I corrected my original post, oops!). You then modify the TRC file to the options you would like to select, then copy or rename it to a .MAN file. The MAN file is then read by NCSExpert and then coded to the car. It's all plaintext suprisingly enough (if in German...). And NCSDummy helps with German translation and coding part. You'll likely find the manual for NCSDummy interesting as it goes into much more detail than what I'm capable of.
C. Nope, just a plaintext line. Looks exactly like this:
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO
digital

As for MINI dealers helping you out, don't count on it. Unless you're in close with a tech, they don't like 'coding outside the box', so to speak. MINI/BMW is also not too happy that these tools are out in the wild, as they were meant for techs only.

I'm not a developer, programmer, tuner, etc. I just like fiddling with stuff that I'm not supposed to.

-Paul

Old 09-18-2015, 12:06 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
paul,

do you noticed mini connected app disconnect quite often? Every 5 minutes or so, it would disconnect and connect again.

That's it. The very same that comes with the iPhone. So far, I've used Rhapsody, MINI Connected, Apple Music, and music stored on my iPhone. All work flawlessly.

I just recently found my old iPod (5.5 gen) that's charging up. Gonna try that on my way to work tomorrow.

-Paul

Old 09-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by g35mt
paul,

do you noticed mini connected app disconnect quite often? Every 5 minutes or so, it would disconnect and connect again.
Huh, no, not at all. It's been rock solid for all apps, including MINI Connected.

Did you try to 'reboot' the MINI after changing the settings? Things were acting weird immediately after (I hit play on my iPhone's Music app and it routed through bluetooth ), but I disconnected the battery, left it disconnected for a few minutes, then reconnected. Everything has been perfect since then.

-Paul

Old 09-18-2015, 11:22 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
thanks..gonna disconnect battery and leave it out for an hour or so. hopefully i don't get the mini connected app disconnection. Again thanks for the usb1 digital trick. i was able to go out and buy the ligthing to 30 pin adapter.

Huh, no, not at all. It's been rock solid for all apps, including MINI Connected.

Did you try to 'reboot' the MINI after changing the settings? Things were acting weird immediately after (I hit play on my iPhone's Music app and it routed through bluetooth ), but I disconnected the battery, left it disconnected for a few minutes, then reconnected. Everything has been perfect since then.

-Paul

Old 09-19-2015, 07:30 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
I disconnect the battery and let the car sat for an hour. No go. Within mini connected, I use the sport instrument and I noticed once every so often the app close and reconnect again. Maybe it's the sport instrument app that is unstable. The music from my iPhone still work.

Also the sport instrument show the rpm. Man I notice it lagging. Meaning it would be 10 second delay. When come to stop sign, it rpm is around 700 while the app showing 1500..after 10 seconds then it show 700.

When I was using the old iPhone 4s, was delay and apps close as well. So changing the usb1 to digital still have the issue. I am thinking the apps itself is the issue.

Overall I said well worth it making the change instead of using the y cable. The sound is a huge improvement. Let alone u can use the same cable from Apple instead of mini media cable. I believe that the media cable for lighting iDevice convert from digital to analog. When the mod using ncsexpert allow full digital.

thanks..gonna disconnect battery and leave it out for an hour or so. hopefully i don't get the mini connected app disconnection. Again thanks for the usb1 digital trick. i was able to go out and buy the ligthing to 30 pin adapter.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Weird. Are all other apps working ok? Best I can recommend is to delete then reinstall the MINI Connected app. If that doesn't work (as much as this sucks) try restoring the iPhone, then just install the MINI Connected app before installing anything else. If it works, then install everything else and hopefully all will work.

Good luck!!

-Paul

I disconnect the battery and let the car sat for an hour. No go. Within mini connected, I use the sport instrument and I noticed once every so often the app close and reconnect again. Maybe it's the sport instrument app that is unstable. The music from my iPhone still work.

Also the sport instrument show the rpm. Man I notice it lagging. Meaning it would be 10 second delay. When come to stop sign, it rpm is around 700 while the app showing 1500..after 10 seconds then it show 700.

When I was using the old iPhone 4s, was delay and apps close as well. So changing the usb1 to digital still have the issue. I am thinking the apps itself is the issue.

Overall I said well worth it making the change instead of using the y cable. The sound is a huge improvement. Let alone u can use the same cable from Apple instead of mini media cable. I believe that the media cable for lighting iDevice convert from digital to analog. When the mod using ncsexpert allow full digital.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM
g35mt
2nd Gear
i am going to reset the phone and start from scratch. No phone restore or whatever. Just fresh restart. Will report back soon.

Weird. Are all other apps working ok? Best I can recommend is to delete then reinstall the MINI Connected app. If that doesn't work (as much as this sucks) try restoring the iPhone, then just install the MINI Connected app before installing anything else. If it works, then install everything else and hopefully all will work.

Good luck!!

-Paul

Old 09-22-2015, 03:35 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I've been wanting to look into Apple Lossless. How is this format generated? A special app?
Sorry, I just saw this. Apple Lossless is usually done in iTunes. I believe there are other programs that will do it, but I use iTunes. You just change the ripping settings to Apple Lossless and off you go. The file type will be .alac

Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
Easiest way is to find someone who has the equipment & has done it before! It's not for the feint of heart, and it has the potential of 'bricking' your MINI. Possibly bad enough to have to have your car towed to the dealership or even have to replace modules!

Now, if you're not scared away, the first thing to do is to buy a K+D CAN cable. They can range anywhere from $20 to $100+, and there's no guarantee it'll work. I bought mine from Amazon for about $25 and it works great. But even from the same vendor you may get a bad one. (If you get one and it has a white PCB, it'll likely not work. I got a green one and it's fine.)

After that, you'll need to download the NCSExpert software package. Take a look at the Electrical forum and Google for ideas on where to get the software (don't pay for it either, you'll find it for free without too much trouble).

You'll also need the 'Datens' for your MINI. I think the newest version is v54. This is a collection of software that runs your MINI (and that explanation is way over-simplified but that's the general idea). And you'll want to get the newest ones - from my understanding new datens are backwards-compatible with old ones, but not vice-versa. If you use old datens but your MINI is loaded with newer ones, you're gonna bork stuff up.

Then, I recommend getting the NCSDummy companion software to help along with the coding. Once again, Google is your friend, but its pretty easy to find.

Once you have the cable and software (read EVERYTHING until you feel completely comfortable, the NCSDummy manual is particularly helpful), load up NCSExpert, pull the 'MEDIA' TRC file, *make a backup of it!!!*, open that file in NSCDummy, change the USB1_IPOD_AUDIO option from 'analog' to 'digital', send that to a MAN file, then open NCSExpert again and code your MINI from the MAN file.

Easy, right?

Also, everything seems to be working now, but things were weird for a little bit. After I 'rebooted' my MINI though (disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes, then hooked it back up) things seem fine.

The nice thing is that once you go through all of this, you can use it for a LOT more than screwing with audio. You can change all sorts of options on your MINI that you would otherwise have to have coded at the dealership, if they would do it at all.

Good luck!!

-Paul
Is this only for Mini's with Mini Connect and/or factory Nav?
Or can this be done with the basic sound system as well?

Old 01-28-2016, 04:24 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear

I just recently found my old iPod (5.5 gen) that's charging up. Gonna try that on my way to work tomorrow
-Paul
just to update things audio: after experimenting with a so-called "BMW/Mini" compatible Y-cable I found on-line ($20.00USD from amazon) which never functioned properly, I bought an official Mini badged Y-cable ($90.00USD) which works great with my iPhone 6S.

But I'm still very curious about MiniConnected. Are there any update's in regards to integrating this functionality on my 2009 Mini Hardtop Coupe-S? Stable software?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NSXRebel
Is this only for Mini's with Mini Connect and/or factory Nav?
Or can this be done with the basic sound system as well?
I've never tried it on anything but MINIs with MINI Connected, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you revert back to original settings.

-Paul

Old 04-18-2016, 09:28 AM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usb stick!!!

Originally Posted by rckrzy1
I ended up just copying music to a USB and then I can use my steering controls and such.
Totally forgot about this being an option. If I create a playlist in iTunes, can I just plug the USB stick into the USB slot in my car? I've got a 2012 NOT CONNECTED R57.

Might actually go try this before folks have time to respond. I've been using my iPod shuffle via the aux cable, but I have USB drives all over the place. Other thing it solves (if it works) is that it doesn't run out of battery. I ran out of battery on the shuffle 40 minutes from home yesterday and was without my Megan Trainor playlist for far too long!

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2016, 02:35 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jeffcutler
Totally forgot about this being an option. If I create a playlist in iTunes, can I just plug the USB stick into the USB slot in my car? I've got a 2012 NOT CONNECTED R57.

Might actually go try this before folks have time to respond. I've been using my iPod shuffle via the aux cable, but I have USB drives all over the place. Other thing it solves (if it works) is that it doesn't run out of battery. I ran out of battery on the shuffle 40 minutes from home yesterday and was without my Megan Trainor playlist for far too long!
I find using a USB thumb-drive, loaded with WMA & iTunes download's (.m4a's), to provide very decent sound-quality in my 2009 Mini Cooper-S Hardtop, with less "overhead" (extra cables and iPod/iPhone unit to deal with). The only thing, you have to constantly update the USB drive if you want to add new music, but that's okay with me.

I have a pretty large WMA & iTunes archive (60GB/18,00 files). I use the SanDisk Ultra-Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive's (64GB & 128GB). Very compact size and fit into the Mini USB port, minimal overhang to get snagged and broken (by you wonderful well-trained car-wash employees)

Last edited by WestCoastD; 04-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jeffcutler

Thanks!
I've read somewhere iTunes playlist don't work with a USB thumbdrive, but I think I've also read it has worked for some but maybe the difference with Mini Connect perhaps.

You should try using the iPod Shuffle with it's sync cable connected to the Mini's USB port. Might be able to play music AND keep it charged while you use it in the car. I don't know where my shuffle is at, or I'd try this myself. Now I gotta dig around for it. If not, might just use my old iPod Photo that still works.

The only reason why I haven't used it is because I download podcast mixes of some of my favorite DJ's from iTunes, and I hate not having the latest podcasts, so I use my iPhone 6. While my Lightning-30 pin adapter was broken, I did use a USB drive, but not being able to have GPS directions go thru the car stereo while playing music was annoying. I play my music loud, so I couldn't hear the directions.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:29 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
FYI for all - if you know someone with MINI coding abilities and experience, you can have your MINI coded to be done with the infernal y-cable once and for all and simply use a standard lightning cable and still have all of the features of MINI Connected and audio.

Technical details - in NCSExpert, pull the trace for the media module, change USB1_IPOD_AUDIO to digital (from analog), and code it back in.

Just did it myself and it looks like it's working perfect. I'll make another post if it hoses up tomorrow while driving around.

-Paul
i've also done this with my 2013 R58 last year when i got my iPhone 6S Plus and confirmed it has worked 100%... the best part? i can use the old mini connected app on my iPhone 4S that is in my armrest adapter/dock and get those old apps they removed w/the new revamp of the Connected app or i can just launch MINI Connected on the iPhone 6S Plus and use the latest app... however after a recent restore of my iPhone 6S Plus, i havent' gotten my mini connected app working again but believe that will be fixed when i 'reboot' my mini (ie disconnect battery for a few mins and reconnect).

Old 04-18-2016, 05:04 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
i've also done this with my 2013 R58 last year when i got my iPhone 6S Plus. I havent' gotten my mini connected app working again but believe that will be fixed when i 'reboot' my mini (ie disconnect battery for a few mins and reconnect)
I forget, does the 2013 come equipped with "MiniConnected" app?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
I forget, does the 2013 come equipped with "MiniConnected" app?
depends on your car.