Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Lightening y-cable for 2013 Mini S

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sewell Mini closed!!!! What happened?

Old 05-01-2015, 10:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
We are here to help links provided earlier in the thread.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-01-2015, 05:47 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, quick question:

I have an iPhone 5c and an aux input for the stock radio in my 2005 r53. I was assuming I could use the BMW "music" y adapter (61122287642) to play iphone audio through the radio, but at least the ECS site says the part is not compatible with my car. Am I missing something? It seems like it should in theory be plug-and-play. (Charging, of course, through one of these Scosche units:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1UWA4O/ref=pe_825000_114212990_TE_n_id http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1UWA4O/ref=pe_825000_114212990_TE_n_id
)

Thanks for any input (pun somewhat intended)!

Last edited by TimL; 08-01-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
We have the cables right here: R56 R57 R55 R58 R59 Gen 2 MINI.

61122287505 MEDIA , MINI Conneceted/ MINI Navagation
Apple IPhone 5 / 5c / 6 / 6+ Lightning USB Y Cable - Media

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61122287505/ES2749038/

I'm assuming this cable will provide full audio function (via-iPod mode) for my 2009 Mini Cooper S HardTop?

Also, is the "Mini Connected" app available for 2009 Mini Cooper S HardTop?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by TimL
So, quick question:

I have an iPhone 5c and an aux input for the stock radio in my 2005 r53. I was assuming I could use the BMW "music" y adapter (61122287642) to play iphone audio through the radio, but at least the ECS site says the part is not compatible with my car. Am I missing something? It seems like it should in theory be plug-and-play. (Charging, of course, through one of these Scosche units: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1UWA4O/ref=pe_825000_114212990_TE_n_id )

Thanks for any input (pun somewhat intended)!

That cable is for certain Gen 2 MINIs. Gen 1 MINI with the aux input just use additional aux cable .

No spacial Y cable or functions. Its a simpler system.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
That cable is for certain Gen 2 MINIs. Gen 1 MINI with the aux input just use additional aux cable .

No spacial Y cable or functions. Its a simpler system.
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I don't want to derail this 2nd gen thread much further with 1st gen questions, but that looks like a standard audio cable that connects the iphone headphone Jack to the stereo's aux in. This won't work if I'm looking for line out audio via the lightning connector.

In theory it looks like the y adapter should provide line out audio, so I was hoping someone might have more details on to why it supposedly isn't compatible with the r53 stereo.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:30 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
but that looks like a standard audio cable that connects the iphone headphone Jack to the stereo's aux in. This won't work if I'm looking for line out audio via the lightning connector
yeah, you're correct. That's a standard 3.5mm audio (stereo) cable

In theory it looks like the y adapter should provide line out audio, so I was hoping someone might have more details as to why it supposedly isn't compatible with the r53 stereo.
it depends on the wiring designation (schematic) of the particular Y-cable, the particular iPhone I/O interface, and the R53 I/O interface. Different Y-cable product (Part No.'s) are designed for the proper iPhone and Mini audio system.

I recently purchased a new iPhone 6 to use with my 2009 Mini Cooper S Hardtop (I'm not familiar which designation number that would be? R5X?, etc.,...). Anyway I found a "BMW compatible" Y-cable adapter product (shown below) on-line with functionality specs for Mini audio system:
Amazon.com : SITHK BMW & MINI Cooper Y cable iPod IPHONE 6, IPHONE 6 PLUSiPhone 5 5S 5C iPad Lightning Cable cord to USB & 3.5mm AUX Cable adapter Lead Wire : Car Electronics Amazon.com : SITHK BMW & MINI Cooper Y cable iPod IPHONE 6, IPHONE 6 PLUSiPhone 5 5S 5C iPad Lightning Cable cord to USB & 3.5mm AUX Cable adapter Lead Wire : Car Electronics

After receiving it I connected the "Lightning" adapter-end to my iPhone 6, the USB to the Mini USB INP, the 3.5mm (AUX) audio connector to the Mini 3.5mm (AUX) INP. It did NOT work. Of course the 3.5mm (AUX) connector provided simple stereo playback, but no control functionality from the Mini audio console (like it is designed).

Later I experimented with my wife's brand-new Subaru CrossTrek SUV vehicle, the cable worked beautifully! So at least I got my money's worth.

Now I just have to find the correct y-cable part No. for my 2009 Mini? I believe there are new, or updated, BMW factory part No.'s available directly from Mini dealers, but are expensive (like $80.00USD-plus).

So........you gotta really search around

Attached Thumbnails Lightening y-cable for 2013 Mini S-sithk_bmw-and-minicooper_ycable-iphone5-6-ipod.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Many thanks for the detailed explanation, WestCoastD.... Makes sense that there are a number of variables; things are seldom as straightforward as I think they "should" be.

I might experiment with the 2nd gen adapter at some point when I have a little extra cash burning a hole in my wallet.

Sorry again for the de-rail.....

Old 08-07-2015, 11:16 AM
483 of 500
1st Gear
it depends on the wiring designation (schematic) of the particular Y-cable, the particular iPhone I/O interface, and the R53 I/O interface. Different Y-cable product (Part No.'s) are designed for the proper iPhone and Mini audio system.

I can attest to this. My wife and I bought a pair of these Y/Lightning/USB connectors from Ebay. We both have iPhone 6+. She has a 2011 Clubman; the gizmo works as expected. I have a 2014 Coupe; I get no sound or steering wheel control. It does charge my phone, however.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:57 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 483 of 500
I can attest to this. My wife and I bought a pair of these Y/Lightning/USB connectors from Ebay. We both have iPhone 6+. She has a 2011 Clubman; the gizmo works as expected. I have a 2014 Coupe; I get no sound or steering wheel control. It does charge my phone, however.
could you please provide details, or a link, for the Y-cable product you guys purchased from eBay? I would appreciate it very much. I believe if it functioned properly on your wife's 2011 Clubman it may very well function on my 2009 Hardtop

Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Mikli
2nd Gear
Amazon.com: Moonet BMW MINI 3.5mm USB Interface Adapter Cable For Iphone 5 6 6plus Ipod Ipad: Automotive Amazon.com: Moonet BMW MINI 3.5mm USB Interface Adapter Cable For Iphone 5 6 6plus Ipod Ipad: Automotive

Just got this cable for my 2014 R55 non navi. It works via Aux to play music on my iPhone 6 using Songza or Apple Music. Sounds great with good bass and highs.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM
t100rc
1st Gear
I have that 'media' cable for my ipod (most recent version) and it sucks. I had far better sound through the 'original' 30-pin y-cable and dock-lightning adapter.
The best sound quality in this system is achieved from a USB-stick.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by t100rc
yeah, when my 2009 Cooper S Hardtop was new I used primarily USB sticks, great sound quality and functionality via-console. In addition, I would have iPhone connected via-BlueTooth for phone use. Eventually I would run out of space on my USB, was hard to find 64GB sticks at decent prices. Also had a few USB sticks fail, they become unstable. So I think I will just eventually purchase a 1 or 2GB portable (MyPassport) and load my large archive.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by t100rc
I have that 'media' cable for my ipod (most recent version) and it sucks. I had far better sound through the 'original' 30-pin y-cable and dock-lightning adapter.
False. The best sound quality in this system is achieved from a cd.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:22 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
yep, you're correct, and that's because a CD audio file provides much more resolution (the actual source). Most personal archives consist of lower-resolution mP3 type (compressed) audio formats. Less dynamic range.

I stop lugging around all my original CD's, and use a very large WMA archive (70GB) which is stored on a WD Passport drive (1TB).

Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 AM
t100rc
1st Gear
Fair enough. Not many people carrying them around any more, but you definitely do get a nice reproduction using the 'source' ... I carry one CD in my 'hidden' dash compartment. In my opinion, the best sounding album ever recorded on cd ... not telling you which one.
However, the 'gold' version of Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' and the remastered version of 'Dark Side of the Moon' are very near the top of my list. However, there is one album in particular that I believe is the single best album EVER as far as sound quality is concerned - that is the one I keep in the car.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I converted to Apple Lossless so I can use my iPod. That actually mattered in cars that don't force you to use a POS y-cable that defeats the purpose of a digital connection. It's still better than mp3s, even in a Mini, but at least iPods used good DACs.

Anyone tried tucking the CD player of a nav-equipped car and installing a new head unit? Since the CD player controls are duplicated from the control **** and the volume know won't be needed, I could maintain all of the functionality and get better sound.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
FYI for all - if you know someone with MINI coding abilities and experience, you can have your MINI coded to be done with the infernal y-cable once and for all and simply use a standard lightning cable and still have all of the features of MINI Connected and audio.

Technical details - in NCSExpert, pull the trace for the media module, change USB1_IPOD_AUDIO to digital (from analog), and code it back in.

Just did it myself and it looks like it's working perfect. I'll make another post if it hoses up tomorrow while driving around.

-Paul

Last edited by Paul!; 09-01-2015 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
I converted to Apple Lossless so I can use my iPod
I've been wanting to look into Apple Lossless. How is this format generated? A special app?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
FYI for all - if you know someone with MINI coding abilities and experience, you can have your MINI coded to be done with the infernal y-cable once and for all and simply use a standard lightning cable and still have all of the features of MINI Connected and audio. Technical details - in NCSExpert, pull the trace for the media module, change USB1_IPOD_AUDIO to digital (from analog), and code it back in. Just did it myself and it looks like it's working perfect. I'll make another post if it hoses up tomorrow while driving around. -Paul
I'm really interested in how you did this. I don't know a lot about NCSExpert. Can you please elaborate.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mayfair
I'm really interested in how you did this. I don't know a lot about NCSExpert. Can you please elaborate.
Easiest way is to find someone who has the equipment & has done it before! It's not for the feint of heart, and it has the potential of 'bricking' your MINI. Possibly bad enough to have to have your car towed to the dealership or even have to replace modules!

Now, if you're not scared away, the first thing to do is to buy a K+D CAN cable. They can range anywhere from $20 to $100+, and there's no guarantee it'll work. I bought mine from Amazon for about $25 and it works great. But even from the same vendor you may get a bad one. (If you get one and it has a white PCB, it'll likely not work. I got a green one and it's fine.)

After that, you'll need to download the NCSExpert software package. Take a look at the Electrical forum and Google for ideas on where to get the software (don't pay for it either, you'll find it for free without too much trouble).

You'll also need the 'Datens' for your MINI. I think the newest version is v54. This is a collection of software that runs your MINI (and that explanation is way over-simplified but that's the general idea). And you'll want to get the newest ones - from my understanding new datens are backwards-compatible with old ones, but not vice-versa. If you use old datens but your MINI is loaded with newer ones, you're gonna bork stuff up.

Then, I recommend getting the NCSDummy companion software to help along with the coding. Once again, Google is your friend, but its pretty easy to find.

Once you have the cable and software (read EVERYTHING until you feel completely comfortable, the NCSDummy manual is particularly helpful), load up NCSExpert, pull the 'MEDIA' TRC file, *make a backup of it!!!*, open that file in NSCDummy, change the USB1_IPOD_AUDIO option from 'analog' to 'digital', send that to a MAN file, then open NCSExpert again and code your MINI from the MAN file.

Easy, right?

Also, everything seems to be working now, but things were weird for a little bit. After I 'rebooted' my MINI though (disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes, then hooked it back up) things seem fine.

The nice thing is that once you go through all of this, you can use it for a LOT more than screwing with audio. You can change all sorts of options on your MINI that you would otherwise have to have coded at the dealership, if they would do it at all.

Good luck!!

-Paul

Last edited by Paul!; 09-02-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
FYI for all - if you know someone with MINI coding abilities and experience, you can have your MINI coded to be done with the infernal y-cable once and for all and simply use a standard lightning cable and still have all of the features of MINI Connected and audio.

Technical details - in NCSExpert, pull the trace for the media module, change USB1_IPOD_AUDIO to digital (from analog), and code it back in.

Just did it myself and it looks like it's working perfect. I'll make another post if it hoses up tomorrow while driving around.

-Paul
Easiest way is to find someone who has the equipment & has done it before! It's not for the feint of heart, and it has the potential of 'bricking' your MINI. Possibly bad enough to have to have your car towed to the dealership or even have to replace modules!

Now, if you're not scared away, the first thing to do is to buy a K+D CAN cable. They can range anywhere from $20 to $100+, and there's no guarantee it'll work. I bought mine from Amazon for about $25 and it works great. But even from the same vendor you may get a bad one. (If you get one and it has a white PCB, it'll likely not work. I got a green one and it's fine.)

After that, you'll need to download the NCSExpert software package. Take a look at the Electrical forum and Google for ideas on where to get the software (don't pay for it either, you'll find it for free without too much trouble).

You'll also need the 'Datens' for your MINI. I think the newest version is v54. This is a collection of software that runs your MINI (and that explanation is way over-simplified but that's the general idea). And you'll want to get the newest ones - from my understanding new datens are backwards-compatible with old ones, but not vice-versa. If you use old datens but your MINI is loaded with newer ones, you're gonna bork stuff up.

Then, I recommend getting the NCSDummy companion software to help along with the coding. Once again, Google is your friend, but its pretty easy to find.

Once you have the cable and software (read EVERYTHING until you feel completely comfortable, the NCSDummy manual is particularly helpful), load up NCSExpert, pull the 'MEDIA' FSC, *make a backup of it!!!*, open that file in NSCDummy, change the USB1_IPOD_AUDIO option from 'analog' to 'digital', send that to a MAN file, then open NCSExpert again and code your MINI from the MAN file.

Easy, right?

Also, everything seems to be working now, but things were weird for a little bit. After I 'rebooted' my MINI though (disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes, then hooked it back up) things seem fine.

The nice thing is that once you go through all of this, you can use it for a LOT more than screwing with audio. You can change all sorts of options on your MINI that you would otherwise have to have coded at the dealership, if they would do it at all.

Good luck!!

-Paul
interesting, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Sounds like:
(A) the "MAN" file is used as a container of sorts?
(B) 'MEDIA' FSC is the module?
(C) "USB1_IPOD_AUDIO" = the specific file within the module, source code?
(D) "Datens" = standardized tool-kit (compiler, etc.,...)

I'd like to get more detailed info on whether local Mini dealers here (Los Angeles area) will provide coding service. I'm actually a developer of sorts, primarily application development (JAVA- IEEE). This Mini coding project would be a controller-based environment.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WestCoastD
interesting, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Sounds like:
(A) the "MAN" file is used as a container of sorts?
(B) 'MEDIA' FSC is the module?
(C) "USB1_IPOD_AUDIO" = the specific file within the module, source code?
(D) "Datens" = standardized tool-kit (compiler, etc.,...)

I'd like to get more detailed info on whether local Mini dealers here (Los Angeles area) will provide coding service. I'm actually a developer of sorts, primarily application development (JAVA- IEEE). This Mini coding project would be a controller-based environment.
A. Of sorts, yes.
B. Sorry, 'MEDIA' is the module. It dumps a text string into a .TRC file (not FSC, I corrected my original post, oops!). You then modify the TRC file to the options you would like to select, then copy or rename it to a .MAN file. The MAN file is then read by NCSExpert and then coded to the car. It's all plaintext suprisingly enough (if in German...). And NCSDummy helps with German translation and coding part. You'll likely find the manual for NCSDummy interesting as it goes into much more detail than what I'm capable of.
C. Nope, just a plaintext line. Looks exactly like this:
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO
digital

As for MINI dealers helping you out, don't count on it. Unless you're in close with a tech, they don't like 'coding outside the box', so to speak. MINI/BMW is also not too happy that these tools are out in the wild, as they were meant for techs only.

I'm not a developer, programmer, tuner, etc. I just like fiddling with stuff that I'm not supposed to.

-Paul

Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Lightening y-cable for 2013 Mini S

Great explanation Paul. Thanks so much!!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 AM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
As for MINI dealers helping you out, don't count on it. Unless you're in close with a tech, they don't like 'coding outside the box', so to speak. MINI/BMW is also not too happy that these tools are out in the wild, as they were meant for techs only
yeah, I would expect any technician or manufacturer rep to [not] disclose any detailed coding/CPU info. Actually I really would'nt expect most any of the Mini tech's to have much hands-on coding capability. They are primarily trained to update CPU using "official" manufacturer approved code updates (flashing). But they may possibly know about future official update's for "Mini Connected". If it's as simple as you have shown here I don't see why this functionality would not be integrated into all (Mini) models that apply

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Lightening y-cable for 2013 Mini S