Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Phone, iPod - sans radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Phone, iPod - sans radio?

I somewhat recently realized that what few times I listen while driving, it's using a playlist on the iPhone, or even the TuneIn app.

With some aerial antenna issues, I'm starting to wonder... It seems like overkill to have a radio just to connect something like an iPhone to play over the speakers.

Is there a simpler way to interface such a device with the speakers?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In addition to providing an external device input (through the aux-in plug or. Bluetooth), the radio is providing an amplifier to expand the sound output of an iPhoneor other device. There is no way the power output of an iPhone or other non-amplified music device can drive the multiple speaker system of any car. There are small battery powered amplifiers that can provide some additional power to improve the sound and volume of headphones, but you would need a separate 12v powered amp. Not sure I see any value in trying to eliminate the radio interface.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
In addition to providing an external device input (through the aux-in plug or. Bluetooth), the radio is providing an amplifier to expand the sound output of an iPhoneor other device. There is no way the power output of an iPhone or other non-amplified music device can drive the multiple speaker system of any car. There are small battery powered amplifiers that can provide some additional power to improve the sound and volume of headphones, but you would need a separate 12v powered amp. Not sure I see any value in trying to eliminate the radio interface.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
Kenny, thanks much for the thoughtful reply. Makes sense of course. Was thinking / hoping there might be such a unit, much smaller than a radio, that one can tuck away under the dash that serves as an input and drive the speakers. Then I'd be able to remove the radio, and have more space between the downtubes, likely for another gauge or two...

Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Something like this would seem to do the trick, at least for two speakers, which is all I have (doors).

http://www.cnet.com/products/lepai-lp-2020a-plus/

Quite small and apparently light too. I have dual parcel shelves and it would easily mount within one of those...

Between the downtubes, from top to bottom, it's the radio, climate controls then toggles. If one were to delete the radio, can the other two be bumped upwards, leaving more space at the bottom, like to actually fit cups in the cupholders, lol?

EDIT / ADD:

A more reputable offering. On Amazon, about 28 bucks...

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PFA200/...apter-Included

Last edited by TonyB; 05-07-2014 at 12:17 AM.