Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Switch from Sirius to XM?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM
rockdoc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switch from Sirius to XM?

I am a new mini owner (2011). My mini came Sirius installed and ready. Even though XM and Sirius are one company now, MLB baseball games are only available to XM users. Is there a way to switch my tuner from Sirius to XM?
Thanks

Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that despite being under one company, Sirius and XM programming uses different satellites and have different wavelengths, and a Sirius tuner is unable to be modified to pick up the XM broadcast signals. You would need to get an XM tuner.

A new tuner with an auto kit with power cord and antenna is relatively cheap ($49 if you can't get one for free from XM). I did this in my previous MINI (which didn't have Sirius at all) and just ran it through the aux in port. I direct-wired it into the fuse box, hid the antenna wire in the rubber window channel, and mounted it with Velcro to the front dash area below the switches.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add the XM Select or All Access packages to your Sirius subscription. These include MLB broadcasts.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 PM
rockdoc
Neutral
thanks

Thanks, I will look into both options. I talked with XM/Sirius a couple of months ago when I registered and they were the ones that told me I would need to get an XM tuner installed. Maybe I was just talking with the wrong person. Being able to listen to baseball while cruising in my mini would be pretty close to heaven on earth.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM
rockdoc
Neutral
resolved

I was able to upgrade my subscription with Sirius and now have baseball to listen to in my Mini! Life is good. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I was able to upgrade my subscription with Sirius and now have baseball to listen to in my Mini! Life is good. Thanks for the help!
I have a new to me 2011 MCS with HK system. The dealer provided one year of Sirius and the quality is terrible. When you upgraded the service, did you notice a quality increase?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 AM
rockdoc
Neutral
Quality

I didn't notice any issues with the free subscription. When I upgraded I was able to get a lot more channels. The quality has always been good. Were you talking about the sound quality?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I didn't notice any issues with the free subscription. When I upgraded I was able to get a lot more channels. The quality has always been good. Were you talking about the sound quality?
yes, the quality of the sound is just terrible. Muffled, tinny and sounds like low bandwidth quality. Interestingly enough, my buddy has a 2008 Honda Accord and his sound is amazing with Sirius.

I think his receiver is an XM receiver - it's stock with Honda, not aftermarket. That's the only thing I can determine that's possibly different.