Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Mini Connected Update!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:31 AM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini Connected Update!

Mini connected has been updated on the apple App Store. I won't be able to use it for a few days. Please post results

Old 03-15-2014, 01:54 PM
timp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right, it has although the update seems to only talk about 'Relaunch of the AppSwitcher'

Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Gr8fulDawg
Neutral
Send to Car

The "Send to Car" app has been removed with this update. I found this the most useful of the apps.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gr8fulDawg
The "Send to Car" app has been removed with this update. I found this the most useful of the apps.
Figures... Leave it up to them to take away something great and replace it with nothing. Kinda like the time I loaned a friend of mine $10.00 and he gave me a counterfeit $100 bill as repayment.

New and improved mini connected.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
It's slightly less buggy. (It already crashed once, and it still takes MINI Excitement a few tries to start correctly.)

And they removed Send to Car. It was one of the few apps that worked flawlessly. Why the hell would they take it out?! I'm f---ing furious. For a $1200 (or whatever the hell it was) option, I expect a little better support than this bulls--t.

(Does anyone know how to tweak iOS apps? I can look at the file structure of the MINI Connected app installed on my phone (via iExplorer) and it looks like the Send to Car app is still there, BMW/MINI just modified a .plist file which disabled access to it. I can copy the file to my computer and replace the missing values in the .plist, but I can't figure out how to copy the file back over to the iPhone. Is there any way to do this without jailbreaking? Can a developer account do this?)

-Paul

Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad I happened to stumble upon this thread BEFORE I updated my iTouch in the car. The ONLY app I use on MINI CONNECTED is the "Send to Car" feature. Obviously if I don't update the app then I will still have access to the Send to Car feature. I just made sure it still works, and it does. The only thing that's diffeent now is that you have to access the feature from Google on their Classic Maps page.....their new map page doesn't have the feature activated yet.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Gr8fulDawg
Neutral
Restored My Send to Car

Deleted MINI Connected and restored previous version. I lost my data for the MINIMALISM & Driving Excitement, but it was worth it to get back Send to Car

BAD MINI

Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
timp
1st Gear
Spotted some other changes - in Minimalism the 'Braking' display has changed to 'Anticipation' and in Driving Excitement the pop-ups are now readable on an iPhone 5S connected device - previously they flashed up too quick to read. The loss of 'Send to Car' is an utter bastard! - what were they thinking, idiots.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did this too and had no idea it was gone. WTF it was the only reason for having this app!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Oldguy56
1st Gear
How do you restore the previous version to get Send to Car?
Thankfully, if you still want to read the news while driving, that function is still available.
Imagine sitting in on the meeting when they discussed this?. iTunes?, Let's keep stop supporting any iPhone made after 2011. Send to car? Too useful, it's out. What about reading the news while driving. Non negotiable, it must be available to our valued customers.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Gr8fulDawg
Neutral
Originally Posted by Oldguy56
How do you restore the previous version to get Send to Car?
Thankfully, if you still want to read the news while driving, that function is still available.
Imagine sitting in on the meeting when they discussed this?. iTunes?, Let's keep stop supporting any iPhone made after 2011. Send to car? Too useful, it's out. What about reading the news while driving. Non negotiable, it must be available to our valued customers.
Assumption: You have previously copied your apps from the phone to your iTunes AND you have not synced since you updated to the new horrible version. Delete the app on the phone by pressing the app until the x in the circle appears, then press the x. Note this will delete all of you settings and data associated with MINI Connected. Open iTunes and drag app from iTunes to whichever page on the phone you want and click apply.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 PM
eduardolago
1st Gear
Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'm not updating mine.
Best thing to do is to have a backup file of the app somewhere else on the computer. For example, go to where your computer keeps the iPhone apps, locate the Mini Connected app and copy it, than save it on a different location.
That way you can always update to newer versions. If you don't like it, simply replace the newer with the older you saved.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Bosdon
Neutral
Send to car

The reason they removed the "Send to Car" feature was that Google Maps doesn't support it anymore. There's no way to send anything to your car so it makes no sense to have the feature in the app. I miss it too. BAD Google!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 AM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosdon
The reason they removed the "Send to Car" feature was that Google Maps doesn't support it anymore. There's no way to send anything to your car so it makes no sense to have the feature in the app. I miss it too. BAD Google!
That's not exactly accurate. You can still "Send to Car" from Google's Classic Maps page (just did it 2 days ago). And while the feature currently isn't available with the new Google Maps, it's on the way..... clearly states that on Google.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Bosdon
Neutral
Well that's good to hear. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM
sjblunden
Neutral
We took a day off today to play tourists and to my shock Send to Car was gone after updating the Connected app to 2.70. Fortunately I had not sync'd my phone after loading up 2.70 and Connected 2.60 was still in the iTunes folders, so I copied it to a thumb drive for the future and deleted the 2.70 from the phone, then did a sync, and had to reenter my login. After a power on I was able to get 2.60 to start and connect. Good thing we had printed the web pages for the zoo and for the restaurant nearby so we could enter them manually!

Where do we go to file a complaint about this? The local dealer? I was mad enough when Google Maps blew it and now I have to revert to Classic Maps every time I log in but to lose Send to Car is unacceptable. It's the only thing we use in the whole Connected nav system option!

Steve

Old 03-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bosdon
There's also an app in the App Store called (appropriately enough) 'Send to Car' that lets you send directly from Apple Maps or Google Maps in the iPhone. It cost a few bucks ($3, if I remember correctly), but worked like a charm.

-Paul

Old 03-20-2014, 04:14 AM
sjblunden
Neutral
Thanks, Paul, I downloaded the test utility for that app last night. The problem still is sitting at home, planning a day and then having the original Send to Car from Google Maps (I may have mentioned it, but in Google Maps, click the question mark in the lower right of the page and choose "Revert to Classic Maps" or something like that and you have the full function old Google Map with Send to car/email etc.) I hope that enough of us are yelling about buying expensive cars and losing critical functions that someone is listening. Steve.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 AM
Oldguy56
1st Gear
FYI, For those who have Apple Time Machine, I was able to restore the mini app to version 2.6.0 by using it. I simply went back a week or so and copied the file.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
I am a bit upset that send to car is gone,however, by using the search function in mini connected I have been able to click on the button on the left and it activates the navigation system. It works well. I also like that the entire app works more seamlessly.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 AM
sjbodkin
Neutral
I am also rather upset about the loss of Send To Car. I do have the third party app also called Send to Car that worked seamlessly with MINI connected. This $3 app allows me to enter addresses directly from my iPhone from and map source, even Apple maps or Google iPhone Maps app. No computer required.
I tried to restore an older version of MINI connected, but my backup version is 2.3.0 and it crashes instantly every time I try to open it on my iPhone.
Any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 AM
sjbodkin
Neutral
Here is some interesting background regarding reinstalling older versions of apps.
Perhaps someone could post v2.6 .ipa file?

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/reinsta...r-apps-iphone/

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Quixter
2nd Gear
Worse update ever without Google send to car.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:27 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sjblunden
...I was mad enough when Google Maps blew it and now I have to revert to Classic Maps every time I log in but to lose Send to Car is unacceptable. It's the only thing we use in the whole Connected nav system option!
+1 And since I had already synched my iPhone with the new version I guess I'm screwed. Why they would delete the most useful option MINI Connected had to offer is beyond reason.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:55 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
...I guess I'm screwed...
Thankfully I was able to find the old .ipa file in my Trash and add it back to the iTunes Library.

I guess I'll be ignoring future app updates until MINI gets their act together.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Mini Connected Update!