Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Restored My iPod(s) - Not Working (R53)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Jason Garrett
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restored My iPod(s) - Not Working (R53)

I have the factory fitted iPod adapter, worked fine with my iPhone 3G other than the lack of charging. I decided to run the latest updates and a clean factory restore on it. I loaded music onto it as usual and everything works fine. But now my 2006 R53 with the factory fitted iPod adapter won't work. It shows that it's connected on the iPhone itself, but it doesn't give me the usual white screen with the little gray iPod graphic.

I have an old iPod 4th Gen 20GB that I connected and that's not working either. It charges, so I know the connection itself is working.

I've got the HK stereo and it simply won't change to the iPod connection, it just skips from radio to CD and back to radio. The iPhone 3G worked fine hooked up before, all I did was disconnect it to charge it, but I decided to sync some new music and it let me know there was an iOS update, so I figured it was a good time to do a factory restore since it had never had one before.

So is there something I'm missing here? Shouldn't one of these iPod's be working? Is there some setting in the iPhone 3G that I need to change to get it to be recognized?

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited by Jason Garrett; 02-03-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM
InhumanElmo
1st Gear
Its most likely a software issue with the update. The main issue is when an iPod or iPhone gets updated, the older software in the mini no longer works. It doesn't know how to communicate with the new software on your devices. I don't know anything about the factory adapter regarding which versions of the OS is supported, or whether or not it can be updated, but that is most likely your problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Bet you are SOL.....apple has moved on and made your car obsolete.....
The latest iOS update removed support for analog output of video and if I recall audio too....
See if you can restore to an older version....

Old 02-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Jason Garrett
3rd Gear
Interesting, I guess I shouldn't have updated.

Ugh.

Maybe a jailbreak will do it. Or I'll start researching to see about going back to an older version.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Jason Garrett
3rd Gear
Downgraded to 3.1.3 (the furthest back I can go from what I'm reading) and it's still not working. It gives me messages to show that the connection is working, but I still can't change to the iPod on the factory stereo.

This is getting really annoying, was working fine before.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have any other devices that you can test with the car, or with the iPhone?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Jason Garrett
3rd Gear
Just an old 4th gen iPod and my 7th Gen Nano.

I tried the iPod and it charges, but again the stereo doesn't detect it, same with the iPhone 3G. Can't connect my Nano since it's got the new style connection.

Trying to find someone who has one nearby but none of my friends/family have one.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Jason Garrett
3rd Gear
Bumping this.

Since this post I've tried two other iPods, one from another Mini owner that works fine in his but does not work in mine.

So I pulled out the glove box and a couple other things to access the complete wire and back of the stereo. I disconnected the cable, checked the pins and everything is fine. The cable will charge the iPod, but it the stereo won't recognize it. I checked all connections and everything seems to be tight.

I'd really like to get my iPod working again, but I don't know what to do from here. I would just replace the head unit with aftermarket, but I've heard with the HK system there's pretty much no way to get the new head unit to interface with the stock amp. I'm perfectly happy with the stereo system in the car, just want my iPod connection to work again. :(

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, even if it seems obvious please give your input as I might have missed something.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Simple and easy workaround.....
Install the line in jack in place of the iPod adaptor....
Sure..no charging or controls... But you will have tunes...
Then if you like cord free...for about $40 you can add a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the auxin jack (will work on a touch...no sure if your iPods are Bluetooth).

Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Jason Garrett
3rd Gear
How do I go about doing the swap?

Is it as simple as buying the special cable and unplugging the iPod cable and plugging in the new one?

If so, where can I buy it? Anywhere other than the MINI dealer? How much is it?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Not sure where the factory ipod adapter goes, but at worst it would be pulling the head unit and swapping out a couple of pins.
My original ipod setup was a Belkin that sits in the cup holder. The aux-in plugs into the Belkin which plugs into the lighter. Not the cleanest setup, but it lets you use the ipod and charge it as well.
I think they were $40 at the dealer, you can try there or other MINI shops. If no luck, PM me, I think I have one somewhere.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://www.waymotorworks.com/auxilia...0-r52-r53.html

MINI OEM Auxiliary Input kit for R50, R52, R53 MINI Cooper and Cooper S radio. If you want an affordable option to use your Ipod or other MP3 player in your MINI this is it. This Auxiliary Input or Aux input for short will allow you to connect your Ipod or MP3 player to the Factory radio and play the files using the MINI sound system.
NOTE:
This kit will not work on early 02 MINIs, or Cassette Deck radios. Also if you have H/K radio and a CD changer you will have to disconnect the CD changer to use this. This kit will not charge your Ipod.

Kit includes Auxiliary cable, zip ties, 2 mounting screws, and Aux input plate.

Basically you read around to the back of the radio or pull it out...unplug the I-pod adapter/cd changer harness (if still plugged in- think it was unplugged for the i-pod connector) -..and plug it in...the install the jack where you want it!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Jason Garrett
3rd Gear
Thanks for the link. I wonder if it's still that simple since I have the OEM navigation as well. I'll contact them to see what they say.