Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio HK Enabler Install Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 PM
GoAs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK Enabler Install Not Working

Hello All,

So I've run through the search several times and couldn't come up with the problem I'm having.

The car is a 2006 Mini with H/K Audio. I tried installing a JVC KD-R730BT head unit and quickly realized it wouldn't work without an overhaul of the wiring/speakers or the HK Enabler.

Ordered the HK Enabler, wired up the harnesses and installed it all. When I turned the radio on, everything seems to work except the audio. The one part that's not connected is the Fakra connector with pins 2, 8, and 9, which I believe is for a cd changer. The wires are white/red, white/blue, and white/brown.

I reinstalled the old radio while I try to figure out what is wrong. The goal is to use everything as is without needing to upgrade the speakers/amp.

Thanks in advance for your help.

TLDR:
- Got an aftermarket head unit (JVC R730BT)
- Got an HK Enabler
- Installed it
- No audio

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
mgrant
3rd Gear
where did u get the enabler ? im also looking for one to complete my radio change

Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 PM
GoAs
Neutral
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
mgrant
3rd Gear
thx ... did you ever figure out the problem ?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 AM
GoAs
Neutral
Nope, trying to figure out a way to isolate the problem.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
GoAs
Neutral
Bump...

For anyone else that recently got an HK Enabler (from March '13), was the install successful?

Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The amp was working ok with the old/oem radio right?
with so many hk amps that fail, i just have to ask....

Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
GoAs
Neutral
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The amp was working ok with the old/oem radio right?
with so many hk amps that fail, i just have to ask....
I believe it works, the factory deck is installed again while I'm trying to figure out what is going on. If it didn't work there should be no audio coming out at all?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Here is the specs....
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-h3zX8SG...KD-R730BT.html
Our take on the JVC KD-R730BT
by Zak Billmeier
Why replace your factory radio?
Two good reasons - sound quality and cool features. A new car stereo offers power that's superior to most factory radios, along with more sophisticated tone controls. And most car stereos offer built-in or optional features that add safety and fun to life in your car, including inputs for your iPod or MP3 player, Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free cell phone calls, satellite radio or HD Radio reception, and connections for building an audio system in your car.

Bluetooth® for hands-free calling...and much more
Bluetooth is great for talking hands-free, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Pair up JVC's KD-R730BT CD receiver and an iPhone®, Android™ smartphone, or Blackberry™, and you can harness the true potential Bluetooth has to offer — you'll be able to receive text message notification, stream music, or access Internet radio stations, depending on your phone's features.

Great for Android™ smartphones
JVC's Android app lets you use your compatible Android phone's touchscreen to control the action using finger swipes and gestures — for example, tap the screen to play and pause, or swipe right to skip forward a track. So pop your Android phone in a mount, and you can reach down and skip a track without taking your eyes off the road.

Pair two phones at once
The KD-R730BT's built-in Bluetooth lets you pair two phones at once — no need to choose between your personal and business phones. When a call comes in, the receiver will blink either blue or red, so you'll know at a glance if your call is coming from home or the office. To answer a call, just tap the volume ****.

Higher-power USB connection
JVC upped the power in their USB port, which lets you keep your smartphone charged, even when it's doing several tasks at once. And with your smartphone connected, you can listen to its internal memory as one source and access the little microSD card as another.

Control PANDORA® Internet radio
JVC makes it easy to play your favorite PANDORA Internet Radio stations. iPhone users can control PANDORA when connected to the USB slot, while Android and Blackberry owners get full control of Pandora over the Bluetooth connection, depending on your phone's features.

— over 15 million songs, available instantly
MOG is an award-winning online music service with one of the largest and best-sounding streaming catalogs in the industry. It's the only service to offer all of its music in the 320 kbps MP3 format — that higher bit rate translates to better sound. In fact, we use it frequently in the Crutchfield Labs to test high-end audio gear. MOG's "Primo" service ($9.99/month) gives you unlimited, ad-free access to their extensive music library of over 15 million songs on a wide range of devices including Sonos® and Logitech® Squeezebox™ network music players, Samsung TVs, your computer, iPad®, iPhone®, and Android™ devices. Just pair your iPhone to this JVC receiver, and you can control the music and view artist/song info on the JVC's screen.

Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this JVC stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the JVC, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.

iPod note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.

Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.

Installation Note: This JVC receiver does not include the mounting screws needed for some installations. If you plan to install the radio yourself, you should have four M5 × 8mm (M5 × 3/8") flat-head screws on hand.

See more info on this item
Highlights:
General features:
CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
included Bluetooth adapter for hands-free calling and audio streaming
USB 1A connection charges devices quicker
built-in iPod control
control PANDORA® from your iPhone, Android, or Blackberry smartphone
works with Android app for gesture control over music playback
built-in MOSFET amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
Separated Variable Color display
remote control
Audio features:
24-bit digital-to-analog converter
high- and low-pass filters
3-band parametric equalizer
Expandability:
works with satellite radio tuner (subscription required)
inputs: front and rear USB ports, front auxiliary input
outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
warranty: 1 year
Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Generally good reviews for the money...but a couple folks reported DOA units....
safe to say you played with the different modes, and maybe even plugged a spare speaker into the unit just to be sure it IS working?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a simple wiring issue. You are right in that the CDC audio is not part of the issue. The HK enabler needs to send messages over the iBus which is red and white with a yellow dot. Check it's connected. Also make sure your power and Ignition lines are correct, some aftermarket radios use the red and yellow interchangeably.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Nano Anderson
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same problem here

Hey GoAs, I have the same exact problem w/ my '06 Mini & Sony MEX-BT3100P. The new head unit powers up, gets radio stations just fine, and connects to my phone, but no sound comes out of the speakers. I don't even get the low hum that HK Enabler is expected to product when the head unit's volume is set to zero. Have you had any luck since your last post?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Nano Anderson
Neutral
Fixed!

I ended up getting it working just now. Turns out you have to insert the spliced blue iso pin (mine was spliced and seemed to have a fuse similar to the red 12v wire) into the slot which corresponds to the *white* wire on the Mini's stereo harness. You'll notice that nothing connects to that white wire from the HK Enabler by default (unless mine slipped out during shipping?). Once that was connected, the stereo worked exactly as expected! So pleased. Hope you have good luck as well!

The following users liked this post:
Spaceballs2theface (03-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2014, 10:04 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
zombie thread revival and subscription for my future install

cheers

Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 PM
vtluu
Neutral
I tried to install a cheapo Kenwood KMM-BT308U headunit in my 2003 R53 completely oblivious of the Harman-Kardon limitation. Ended up buying the HK enabler and in my case it took a slight bit of tinkering to get it to work: the blue ISO wire that the HK enabler taps into (with a red wire I think?) needs +12V whenever the unit is on, and the KMM-BT308U doesn't do anything with the blue wire (antenna control) wire at all: no voltage ever comes out of it. So instead I wired up the blue ISO wire to the blue-white (external amplifier control; outputs +12-ish V when any source is on) wire out of the headunit and now it works great.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
I will be attempting this soon....now what stereo to buy?

Old 04-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Cancooper
Neutral
I eliminated all hissing and noise after hooking up a Kenwood head unit in my 2005 cooper s with the H/K sound system. It sounds perfect! I did this by cutting the front right and left speaker wires on the Hk enabler and splicing on a standard RCA stereo cable. I could then plug this into the line out jacks on the back of the head unit. Before doing this, there was a constant low hiss when the system was powered on. Now I have crystal clear sound and normal volume control with no noise or hum.

Splice the red side RCA to the right front speaker wires (Gray, gray/black) going to the amp and the white side to the left front speaker wires (white, white/black). Make sure you have the polarity correct and that's it.

I can't believe that they don't offer this as an option when purchasing the hk enabler harness.

Last edited by Cancooper; 04-09-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Clarity
The following users liked this post:
Mini Putt (08-24-2023)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
last post in the thread was 12/2014

today's resurrection award!

Glad to see you "post 1" but may I suggest you check currency of the thread b4 spending time on a reply.

In this case you may have provided good new info so I'm just mentioning for future .....