Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio XM Antenna in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorWorf
Looking good. I've got that ProClip mount for my Garmin and am trying to figure out where the XM will go
Here's the final installation with my Garmin 2597LMT and Sirius XM onyx Plus.
Im so happy I didn't get the XM retrofit, as I get almost 600 channels on this, the 2013 Mini with XM only gets 222.
Pink Floyd channel is 311!!

Name:  IMG_0947_zps84ece565.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  42.2 KB

Last edited by TVPostSound; 05-14-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, that looks very professional.

I received my cable yesterday. Haven't had time to get at the car. I'm wondering if removing the access panel on the passenger kick panel will allow access to the the XM cable?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorWorf
Now, that looks very professional.

I received my cable yesterday. Haven't had time to get at the car. I'm wondering if removing the access panel on the passenger kick panel will allow access to the the XM cable?
Thanks, I used the Proclip long adapter 213065 I showed you in the earlier post with the Proclip ball adapter, and Proclip Sirius T bracket adapter 215465, on the mini Proclip mount.

Nope, you need to at least pull the kick panel away as far as the seat.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
I'll also add to the confusion.

Everything I've read and searched on says the retrofit works for 9/09 cars and newer.

But.....my 02/09 MCS has S693A listed under Standard equipment when I run my VIN on BMWArchive.org.

So.....does that mean all I need is the code?

There are cheaper ways, I'm finding to do this code. One, which they may be able to do for MINIs is Bimmer-Tech.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/index.php...ive-retrofits/

In searching on those forums, several members mention doing it even cheaper. Though that may involve buying a diag port cable and software.

I do have an portable setup (I think mine's an onyx) that I could install but I'd prefer to just use the factory setup.

Last edited by broncobuddha; 05-28-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 AM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Interesting.
Let me say that I have a '13 Clubman without Satellite, but does have the rooftop antenna and supposedly the radio somewhere. Satellite does not show up as a choice on the screen.
But, after the last time I was at the dealer I received a letter from Sirius saying that I should sign up for Satellite radio AND it even included the number for the Satellite radio!

Sounds interesting. I wonder if anyone has purchased this?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by broncobuddha
I do have an portable setup (I think mine's an onyx) that I could install but I'd prefer to just use the factory setup.
I dont regret not using the factory set up, and Im so OCD!!

Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
TVPost,

Are you still going through the aux jack though? How is the sound quality? I was playing around this morning using the Sirius app on my phone and an aux cable and I wasn't really happy with the sound quality.

Also, you're able to go through the MINI's antenna by tying into the jack in the passenger footwell?

Thanks.

Oh and I called the local MINI dealership and the Service Manager said the best way for them to tell if mine is setup for satellite is for me to bring it in. Of course he'd say that. I'm sure I'd get charged an hour worth of labor just for them to check.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:08 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
TVPost,

Are you still going through the aux jack though? How is the sound quality? I was playing around this morning using the Sirius app on my phone and an aux cable and I wasn't really happy with the sound quality.

Also, you're able to go through the MINI's antenna by tying into the jack in the passenger footwell?

Thanks.

Oh and I called the local MINI dealership and the Service Manager said the best way for them to tell if mine is setup for satellite is for me to bring it in. Of course he'd say that. I'm sure I'd get charged an hour worth of labor just for them to check.

Yes, the passenger footwell on the right, yours might be under the passenger seat.

Sound quality is decent, I would not judge with a phone app, way too much data compression, might also be lower bit rate. Yes, Im using the aux jack.
SiriusXM also uses varying compression and bit rate schemas for their stations.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Thanks! In the pic from earlier, which jack is it? The pink one?

Also, when I bought my mobile setup, I also purchased the FM Direct Adapter. Is this needed still?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Thanks! In the pic from earlier, which jack is it? The pink one?

Also, when I bought my mobile setup, I also purchased the FM Direct Adapter. Is this needed still?
Yup, the pink is the one.
Albeit, yours (2009) might be under the carpet below the passenger seat.

Aux is better than FM.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM
BMJM100
Neutral
XM in the Paceman

So my wife has the 2014 Paceman and I had the rear plastic trim off the rear hatch & found a Radio /XM/Nav antenna distribution (maybe signal amplifier) box. I also found while in the passenger side kick panel the 3 coax antenna connectors there as mentioned in a previous post. I'm going to try to see if I can locate the actual XM module. This should have the XM ID on it too like all other XM modules. Just need to find put how to get the program selection turned on through the radio. (Mine has nav) Any suggestions besides going to the dealer? I wonder if Greasy's Garage (who is a big Mini mechanic in Worcester) can do this?? Hmmm...??

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce

Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BMJM100
So my wife has the 2014 Paceman and I had the rear plastic trim off the rear hatch & found a Radio /XM/Nav antenna distribution (maybe signal amplifier) box. I also found while in the passenger side kick panel the 3 coax antenna connectors there as mentioned in a previous post. I'm going to try to see if I can locate the actual XM module. This should have the XM ID on it too like all other XM modules. Just need to find put how to get the program selection turned on through the radio. (Mine has nav) Any suggestions besides going to the dealer? I wonder if Greasy's Garage (who is a big Mini mechanic in Worcester) can do this?? Hmmm...??

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce
If you found the 3 coax connectors, and the pink one os connected to a cable, then the XM module is in the dash on the radio.
Does your radio have the "sat" option next to aux and usb??

Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BMJM100

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce
You will need to get a FSC enable code from BMW/MINI. According to the MINI website, it has to be done at the dealer.

That being said, there are ways to hack around this but it is not trivial.

http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/1...IT-ENABLE-CODE

Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM
BMJM100
Neutral
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
If you found the 3 coax connectors, and the pink one os connected to a cable, then the XM module is in the dash on the radio.
Does your radio have the "sat" option next to aux and usb??
If you are talking on the center console behind the shifter where you plug in the USB & AUX cable, then no I do not have anything else there. If you were talking about in the radio options at "home", then no also. It goes from Settings, CD (where is where you go to USB), Radio selections...

and yes the pink Sat cable is plugged in to a coax cable that runs towards radio...

Thanks!
Bruce

Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 PM
BMJM100
Neutral
Originally Posted by cerenkov
You will need to get a FSC enable code from BMW/MINI. According to the MINI website, it has to be done at the dealer.

That being said, there are ways to hack around this but it is not trivial.

http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/1...IT-ENABLE-CODE
Thanks for your reply, I was just looking around not to pay the $375., All set there. I can use Pandora just as well. It kills me enough to pay the monthly fee for XM never mind what Mini wants to turn it on.
I think I remember seeing some posts a while back on coding different options, I work at an IT company so I will look back at those post and see if any of my co-workers can offer help who are into that. I'm not going to try it if not 100% comfortable about it...
Bruce

Old 11-05-2014, 11:06 AM
AlFiala
Neutral
Bruce - Would you mind if I pick your brain...I just got a 2014 Paceman and looked in the Passenger kick panel and did not see the antenna cable. Was yours readily seen? did you have to remove any other trim parts? Was it "fishable" from the kick pannel.
I used to have a wrangler and it was so much easier to mod for audio. Thanks in advance and sorry for the barrage of questions

Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 AM
BMJM100
Neutral
Hi, once you remove the passenger side kick panel, it was all behind there, you can't miss the set of coax cables. I don;t have a picture...sorry

Bruce

Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 AM
BMJM100
Neutral
There is a picture from page 1 in this thread from TVPostSound:
Here is the SAT antenna coax, I found it by pulling the passenger kick panel.

Take a look but that is what it looks like.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Mini4Joy
Neutral
How do you remove the passenger kick panel to access the coax?

Thanks!

Here is the SAT antenna coax, I found it by pulling the passenger kick panel.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:56 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini4Joy
How do you remove the passenger kick panel to access the coax?

Thanks!

Pull out.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 PM
fotomatt1
2nd Gear
Pull out.
So I finally ordered an Onyx Plus and also got the antenna cable and will be getting the pro clip mount. Just curious how you're powering the Onyx Plus since it doesn't look like impure connected to the cigarette lighter?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:27 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fotomatt1
So I finally ordered an Onyx Plus and also got the antenna cable and will be getting the pro clip mount. Just curious how you're powering the Onyx Plus since it doesn't look like impure connected to the cigarette lighter?
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive
Amazon.com: SMAKN® 12V 5A Female Car Cigar Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector Adapter: Automotive Amazon.com: SMAKN® 12V 5A Female Car Cigar Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector Adapter: Automotive

To the radio fuse in the kick panel fuse box.
Ground to a sheet metal screw above the fuse box, you'll see where!!

Old 04-10-2016, 12:52 PM
fotomatt1
2nd Gear
So I finally got around to connecting the antenna cable to the factory satellite antenna behind the kick panel..works perfectly! Just curious how to re-attache the kick panel correctly? I see the white clips, but don't see how I could possibly push the clips on the kick panel back onto them. Also, still curious how to power it correctly?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:42 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Look at the links I posted just above.

The add-a-fuse goes into the fuse box next to the antenna junction.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:34 PM
fotomatt1
2nd Gear
Look at the links I posted just above. The add-a-fuse goes into the fuse box next to the antenna junction.
Thanks...I'm good on the power but can't figure out how to get the trim to snap back on securely.