Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio MINI Cooper iPhone iPod Charging Y-Cable Adaptor (for iPhone 5)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM
thereisnosubstitute
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI Cooper iPhone iPod Charging Y-Cable Adaptor (for iPhone 5)

I recently searched the forum for feedback regarding this matter but can't find the post so I'm posting hoping that someone can clarify what I need to do to accomplish the following (as the part's guy at my local dealer doesn't have a clue):

The vehicle is a 2012 MCS (just purchased is perfect condition with <6k miles!).

I'm attempting to use my iPhone 5 to play music through the standard head unit. Will the MINI Cooper iPhone iPod Charging Y-Cable Adapter and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter allow me to play music through the system?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am using the standard Y-cable and my 0.2m adapter and it works.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
thereisnosubstitute
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Excellent...thanks!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
thereisnosubstitute
2nd Gear
Two more questions:

1/ will the MINI Cooper iPhone iPod Charging Y-Cable Adapter charge the iPhone 5 (or an older iPod Touch - 30-pin) while connected?

2/ it looks as if their is an OEM part and after-market with an expected substantial price differential: is anyone using the after-market cable with success or should I just get the OEM part?

Thanks again!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM
ManassasMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I see it plays music, but will it charge the phone?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
thereisnosubstitute
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ManassasMini
OK, I see it plays music, but will it charge the phone?

Thanks
Unfortunately the Apple 30 pin adapter does not fit into my iPhone 5 while the case is attached so I have no idea if it will charge or play music.

I really don't want to get another case so I suspect that I'll just use an old iPod in the Mini.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Mini-LSE
3rd Gear
My 2010 will play music but will not charge.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thereisnosubstitute
Unfortunately the Apple 30 pin adapter does not fit into my iPhone 5 while the case is attached so I have no idea if it will charge or play music.

I really don't want to get another case so I suspect that I'll just use an old iPod in the Mini.
I have the 0.2m cable adapter and it works as well. Charges the phone, plays music, mini connected works. The only thing you really lose over the older iphone is the ability to watch music videos in the parking lot.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Using an iPhone 4S here. Charges and plays.

I have both an aftermarket cheapo Y ($8) and the MINI Y ($40). They both work, but the connector in the cheapo is finicky and will lose connection when the iPhone shifts (I use it now to output music to a portable system through the hi-fi 30-pin instead of the lower-fi headphone jack).

Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 AM
rikbarry
Neutral
Non-Music Audio From iPhone 5 to Mini Speakers?

Originally Posted by yetti96
Great. Here's what I'm not clear about:

I know I can listen to iPhone 5 phone calls through the Mini's bluetooth, and the Y adapter I got from Mini 1.5 years ago lets me play my music through the Mini sound system.

However, I want to hear other audio (like spoken messages and text) through my Mini speakers, but this doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to do this? Mini Cooper S 2011. No Mini Connect.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm nearly identical to the first poster -- I just got a pre-driven 2012 MCS yesterday. (have had a red MC and then a clubman; now on to this baby!) It doesn't seem to have an aux in at all? Or am I looking in the wrong places? It's got a Harmon Kardon sound system, if that affects where I should look. Anybody know where my aux in might be, before I go buy an after-market aux in?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
scf
5th Gear
With a 2012, you're likely better off asking in the Gen 2 section.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't know there was one! Haven't been here since I fitted up my clubman in 2009. But anyway -- I found the existing aux in. I just had to get my head really low! Sorry .....

Last edited by godskid; 04-18-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 AM
scf
5th Gear
Hey..no sweat! Just be sure to check out the Gen 2 section, so you can get the right answers to your question(s).

Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM
HwinBoy
Neutral
iPhone 5

I bought the adapter to plug my iPhone 5 into my Mini. It plays my iPhone music but doesn't charge. Is there something that I can do to make it charge while plugged in?

Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 AM
scf
5th Gear
The lack of control over the iPod is frustrating.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I have an iPhone5 and a 2013 Countryman with Connected. I was using the Y cable with the 30pin to lightning cable adapter for a while and my iPhone was charging and playing music through the cable.

I've since moved where I keep the phone since I also use it for Nav and have shifted to the Apple USB>Lightning cable and an male to male audio cable... No issues and the phone charges in this configuration as well.

With Connected I can control the iPod functions, however Connected doesn't seem to get along with the Podcast app...

Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
rikbarry
Neutral
I do have the throughter, but...

Yes, I do have the Y connection adapter, and it does work for outputting audio through the Mini's sound system. However, to make that work, I have to change the audio source to "iPod" from it's normal "Satellite" radio setting. OK, that's not a big deal, but then when I choose the "iPod" setting I'll hear a tune from my music collection.

Since what I actually want is to listen to a navigation app, or to the iPhone's text "Speak" option, this is a pain in the butt. I have to go to the "Music" app, pause the music, then return to the other app so I can control it.

I'm just wondering if there's a more centralized way to handle this without a MINI Connected system?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM
akminime
Neutral
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I doubt it...

For starters the iPhone5 running IOS6 works with MINI Connected. The ONLY function that doesn't work is PLUGIN which means you can't navigate your music library through the Connected section of the display. But using the Devices section it works just fine...

PLUGIN doesn't work because there is no support in the Apple's Lightning specification to support the video out needed for this functionity. The older 30 pin connection has a dedicated pin-out for video out - Lightning does not. Those connectors that do support video out are using an AirPlay chip in the connector.

Given the price for that cable (combined with the crummy review) I don't have any confidence that the cable would be worth the time. For $13.99 it's exremely doubtful that it has the embedded AirPlay chip in it needed for video out.

Finally the issues with IOS7 are completely unrelated to the connector issues... There will need to be an upate to MINI Connected to fix those problems...

Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM
rikbarry
Neutral
akminime,

I already have the Mini Y adapter, so that's not this problem. The problem is the inability to quickly and easily send my iphone audio output through the Mini's sound system -- whether it's a phone call sent via Bluetooth, or audio like navigation directions or speech from text.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
rikbarry
Neutral
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
I doubt it...

For starters the iPhone5 running IOS6 works with MINI Connected. The ONLY function that doesn't work is PLUGIN which means you can't navigate your music library through the Connected section of the display. But using the Devices section it works just fine...
As you noted below, my issues aren't iOS issues. They could theoretically be resolved by changes to the MINI audio connection system (and I don't think this should require the "Mini Connect" package.

PLUGIN doesn't work because there is no support in the Apple's Lightning specification to support the video out needed for this functionity. The older 30 pin connection has a dedicated pin-out for video out - Lightning does not. Those connectors that do support video out are using an AirPlay chip in the connector.
Hmm, this is disturbing as far as video is concerned. However, since I'm only talking about audio out, this may not apply to my objective.

Given the price for that cable (combined with the crummy review) I don't have any confidence that the cable would be worth the time. For $13.99 it's exremely doubtful that it has the embedded AirPlay chip in it needed for video out.
I agree, however I don't need anything like this because I already have the Mini Y adapter (with a lightning adapter attached to the 30 in connector).

Finally the issues with IOS7 are completely unrelated to the connector issues... There will need to be an upate to MINI Connected to fix those problems...
As noted, I'd like to see MINI make this connectivity available without the need to purchase the Mini Connect system. After all, they manufactured the Y adapter several years ago to address the need for integrated audio at that time. I'd like to see them address current needs.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:31 PM
akminime
Neutral
Originally Posted by rikbarry
As you noted below, my issues aren't iOS issues. They could theoretically be resolved by changes to the MINI audio connection system (and I don't think this should require the "Mini Connect" package.

Hmm, this is disturbing as far as video is concerned. However, since I'm only talking about audio out, this may not apply to my objective.

I agree, however I don't need anything like this because I already have the Mini Y adapter (with a lightning adapter attached to the 30 in connector).

As noted, I'd like to see MINI make this connectivity available without the need to purchase the Mini Connect system. After all, they manufactured the Y adapter several years ago to address the need for integrated audio at that time. I'd like to see them address current needs.
So theoretically if MINI fixed the iOS7 problem, then the mini y-cable and 30pin-lightining adaptor would allow everything to work? With browsing cababilities on the mini dash?

Can you so an example of a cable or device with the embeded airplay you spoke of?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 PM
akminime
Neutral
so what if you combined one of these http://www.trait-tech.com/product/T-...dio-cable.html

With one of these http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=45

And an hdmi cable in the middle. Im no electronics expert by any means but looks as though that would work right?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MINI Cooper iPhone iPod Charging Y-Cable Adaptor (for iPhone 5)