Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Replacing the antenna base

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacing the antenna base

I had a stubby antenna in my stock R53 base (no nav or satellite radio) and it caught my garage door and snapped off, breaking the base as well. So I need a new one. I'd like to get a shark fin but haven't been able to find one on my own. I thought some Honda model had one that worked but I can't find that reference now.

Anybody know if there's something out there that will work?

Second question...how do I remove and replace the antenna base?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 AM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing the base is not easy to do on 05's and up. Base is bolted through the roof and only accessible by pulling down the headliner. There are a few threads here that discuss what is involved. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked but could find no threads that would help me. A little guidance perhaps?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
dw1
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an R53 S w/ Nav & sunroof and the antenna was ripped of the car by some extremely nice nice individual. I would like to repair the base but would like to find an exploded view diagram of the antenna base. Does anybody know of one?

When I look down through the now open hole at the top, I see three metal prongs extending from the side of one of the two vertical circuit type boards located in the base. The nav works and the radio reception if decent, but not great. The price of a base unit with nav does not justify buying one since it still works. Any feedback would be great from those that have messed with the innards of the base. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured I'd see a post about this soon. Didn't know you were already searching. If you need help getting at the bits under the headliner, let me know. I had to replace my boot hinges a while back, and had to get under the headliner. It's a PITA to get at without damaging the HL, but can be done. Not sure about a different base for the antenna, but I found this one on Penske parts that is made for the R53.

If you need help, let me know here or on Facebook! Always glad to help a fellow Jayhawker!!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
I was in a similar position - reversed under a closing garage door and ripped the base off. I was going to replace it but after seeing how difficult it was when I removed the old base unit (that was still bolted to the car) I decided not to bother and just replaced it with a cosmetic shark fin. The NAV no longer worked but I had no problem with radio reception.

I then came across someone on eBay selling the actual GPS/Radio shark fin (the one in PEW1375's post above) used and bought it. Because I never used the NAV I never got around to fitting it - I then traded the car in 2 months ago and did the replacement the night before dropping it off at the dealer. It wasn't difficult, just very very awakard - there's very little room to do the work without damaging the headliner (which you have to pull down a certain amount) and you need tiny hands to be able to get the nut back onto the threads to hold the new antenna base onto the roof of the car . . but I managed to get it done!! Wasn't able to get the nut tightened fully, but it was tight enough that the dealer didn't pick up on it.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 AM
dw1
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info. I would certainly be very interested in any tips / techniques at getting the headliner down. I actually have a cover right below the antenna base, so I assume I can simply take that off, not sure how it is attached at the moment, any thoughts or tips on that would be great. I am hoping to be able to find a way to simply connect a stubby antenna to the radio plug or wire or circuit board or attach the female version of it so I can simply repair what is there.

I will check the Penske parts site to see if I can find the item you show there, do you recall the price? Thx.

I posted a few pics of the base and what you can see in it on a different thread on this site: "I hate DIY . . ."

Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Penske wants $188.12 part# 84506918548. It looks like it includes all the parts needed. It looks like they have 3 different bases. The one used till 07/04 is $83.73, part# 65206920279. The other from 07/04 is $143.83, part# 65206934304.

I understand hating DIY. It seems like whenever I start a project, it takes me longer than I expected. The only real problem I found when getting under the headliner, was getting the rear roof pillars off. They have the airbag under them, and when the airbag deploys, they are designed to pop off. They are attached with little nylon straps that keep them from going projectile. I guess your supposed to have new ones to replace them. I somehow got them off without breaking anything, so I was able to reuse.
This really wouldn't be a hard project. Just a couple of hours.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
I just looked at the other thread with the pics. I think the easiest way to replace would be going under the headliner. Not really the quickest. I'm wondering about the shark fin now myself. Maybe I'll try it eventually. With the JCW Spoiler, I open the Boot, and the spoiler bumps up against the stubby antenna, bending it. I wish there was a antenna I could put on that would work with XM. I have the magnetic XM antenna running up and mounted directly behind the roof antenna.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Replaced my antenna base: link to photos/instructions

Hi, Everyone.

I hope this will help someone:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3913228

Old 04-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Marvin Gardens
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mini Antenna Replacement

1. Must loosen headliner enough to gain access to antenna base bolt (1 bolt). You do not need to remove headliner. Just pop off rear ceiling handles and the Rear Pillar Covers enough to lower the headliner a few inches. You do not need to completely remove the pillar covers. Just loosen them from the top enough to lower the headliner a bit.

2. If you are very ambidextrous there is 1 bolt, difficultly located, holding the base in place. Access the bolt from inside the rear of the car. Be careful not to crease the headliner. It is a very tight fit. As I was trying, I had the brilliant idea that my mechanic could do this a lot easier than me.

IF you are not ambidextrous (do this type of work for a living), do what I did, go to your favorite mechanic who does this all the time and within a 1/2 hour, he will get it done. Not easy but he has what it takes. The hardest part is getting the nut to rethread on the new base bolt.

IT'S ALL ABOUT GETTING TO THE 1 BOLT IN A TINY SPACE. A professional seems most able to do it "quickly".