Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How to listen to my iTunes in my 2004 Mini.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:55 PM
bcgreen
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How to listen to my iTunes in my 2004 Mini.

I have a somewhat large collection of iTunes residing on my computer and would like to know how I can listen to my audio library in the Mini? This '04 model didn't come with any hi-tech stuff in those days.
I don't own much hi-tech stuff at home, so I know I am going to have to buy some electronic device (on ebay) and maybe some sort of wiring will be required.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:07 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
For about $30. You can add the AUX input cable and run your iPod/iPhone or like device through your stock radio.

With about three tools you can do the install yourself in about 30 minutes.

Search the forum here, and You Tube for videos to see just how easy it is.

If the "do it yourself" is out of the question, your favorite MINI Tech can do the work for you.

Motor on!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:07 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I have an FM transmitter (actually 2, XtremeMac and Kensington -
bought one, lost it, bought the other, found the first one) that
plugs in to the ipod and the MINI's 12V cig lighter plug.
If you're near a big city, it's hard to find a suitable blank spot on the
FM band to use, but otherwise, they work ok.

Last edited by cristo; 09-06-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the Aux adapter. It is very easy to install. The hardest part is getting the down tubes off, and that's not really all that hard. I actually left my down tubes off and am trying to figure something out to finish off the side of the dash so I don't have to put the tubes back on. It is actually more comfortable driving with them off.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Is there an Aux adapter for the cassette radio?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:46 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
MediaBridge

Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
For about $30. You can add the AUX input cable and run your iPod/iPhone or like device through your stock radio.

With about three tools you can do the install yourself in about 30 minutes.

Search the forum here, and You Tube for videos to see just how easy it is.

If the "do it yourself" is out of the question, your favorite MINI Tech can do the work for you.

Motor on!

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...p3_hookup.html

if you find someone who's put one in, it takes about 2 minutes to plug it in ... no need to remove anything if you know where to probe in the back of the radio

tell us where you are - maybe there's someone who can help

p.s. you MIGHT have this installed and just don't know it. The 'standard' place to put the plug is under the radio and a/c stack ... to the right side ... in front of the shifter and FACING DOWN .... feel around

{A good location to mount it is in the lower cubby tray area right under the toggle switch...there is a removable panel that you can mount the input plug in with minimal hassle. }

Old 09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo

not from the factory . .

from the outmotoring item description:

IMPORTANT** This does not work with any 02 MINI's that have the factory radio installed, sorry! ALSO, does NOT work on any year Gen 1 MINI with the stock Cassette deck

Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Interesting question. I bought a cassette deck on a lark - it's labeled 'BMW Business' and appears to be from '04, but I've never tried it out. It's got the same pinouts, but so do the early radios.
Will have to throw it in and see if I can verify capt_BJ's info.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:36 AM
bcgreen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...p3_hookup.html

if you find someone who's put one in, it takes about 2 minutes to plug it in ... no need to remove anything if you know where to probe in the back of the radio

tell us where you are - maybe there's someone who can help

p.s. you MIGHT have this installed and just don't know it. The 'standard' place to put the plug is under the radio and a/c stack ... to the right side ... in front of the shifter and FACING DOWN .... feel around

{A good location to mount it is in the lower cubby tray area right under the toggle switch...there is a removable panel that you can mount the input plug in with minimal hassle. }
I wish I were so lucky as to have one already installed. I can do the installation, it doesn't look difficult at all. My hands are not too big, but I have felt around to see if I can install it just bay reaching around to the back of the radio, but it looks like I need to drop the hard plastic knee pad. Hopefully if I drop the knee pad I will have enough room to reach around, if not, I will have to go the usual route that has been recommended.
For the location to install, I am not clear on that location you are mentioning. Can you provide a picture?
Place a want ad for a new or used one to see if I can see some $$.
Thanks

Last edited by bcgreen; 09-10-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I have an FM transmitter (actually 2, XtremeMac and Kensington -
bought one, lost it, bought the other, found the first one) that
plugs in to the ipod and the MINI's 12V cig lighter plug.
If you're near a big city, it's hard to find a suitable blank spot on the
FM band to use, but otherwise, they work ok.
+1 I picked one up at Radio Shack, use it all the time.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:45 AM
EIMTeal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by GTWteal
Wait a second.....Cassette deck....

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...FYZaMgodbFMAjg
I have one of those, two. Works pretty good in the MINI with cassette, but -

doesn't work at all in my wife's VW Cabrio with the cassette - just keeps auto-ejecting.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 PM
EIMTeal
2nd Gear
I have one of those, two. Works pretty good in the MINI with cassette, but -

doesn't work at all in my wife's VW Cabrio with the cassette - just keeps auto-ejecting.
My first Crapalier(Cavalier) had that problem. Try putting the tape adapter in and pressing pause before it auto ejects. That worked for me.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:09 AM
garthg
1st Gear
I just did an AUX input install on my 2006 Cooper S. I had the original MINI iPod adapter, dealer installed, but my original iPod Nano battery died, and I found out iPod itself is obsolete. I've got 200+ CD albums copied into my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. I bought the OEM aux input harness kit from BAVAUTO for $38 plus shipping.

Installation was pretty easy. You'll need a TORX driver set to remove the dash down tubes and the glove box. The hardest part (doing it the first time) was prying out the driver's side lower dash trim to access the down tube bolts. I just used a thin piece of wood to protect the dash and pried on the trim. It dropped down and then I had it all figured out. There's five screws that hold in the glove box. The instructions show you where to drill to install the input plug.

The FM transmitter devices are worthless. The sound is crappy, they depend on batteries which are always going dead, and as you drive around FM stations interfere with the reception. The sound is MUCH better with the direct audio input. I would say it sounds really good just playing off the phone.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 AM
bcgreen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by garthg
I just did an AUX input install on my 2006 Cooper S. I had the original MINI iPod adapter, dealer installed, but my original iPod Nano battery died, and I found out iPod itself is obsolete. I've got 200+ CD albums copied into my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. I bought the OEM aux input harness kit from BAVAUTO for $38 plus shipping.

Installation was pretty easy. You'll need a TORX driver set to remove the dash down tubes and the glove box. The hardest part (doing it the first time) was prying out the driver's side lower dash trim to access the down tube bolts. I just used a thin piece of wood to protect the dash and pried on the trim. It dropped down and then I had it all figured out. There's five screws that hold in the glove box. The instructions show you where to drill to install the input plug.

The FM transmitter devices are worthless. The sound is crappy, they depend on batteries which are always going dead, and as you drive around FM stations interfere with the reception. The sound is MUCH better with the direct audio input. I would say it sounds really good just playing off the phone.
I just recently installed my aux cable and I was thinking of buying an ipod for all my songs that are just sitting on my computer, waiting for me to transfer over. So if ipods are obsolete what do you think I should look for to play in my car?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:56 PM
garthg
1st Gear
Don't you have a smartphone?

Another benefit of using the smartphone is when the phone rings, the music stops and you can hear the call in the car speakers. The phone's microphone still works, so you have built-in hands-free. (I don't have Bluetooth in my car.)

Just use an extension with two, 3.5mm male stereo jacks to connect the phone to the AUX input. These extensions are about $3 at Radio Shack or Walmart.

The Samsung phone takes a MicroSD card. I store all the music on the card. Thus, when I got a new phone, I just swapped the card from the old phone to the new phone and all the music was there immediately. A 32Gb card is like $8 now.

Last edited by garthg; 11-26-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:09 AM
bcgreen
4th Gear
Don't you have a smartphone?

Another benefit of using the smartphone is when the phone rings, the music stops and you can hear the call in the car speakers. The phone's microphone still works, so you have built-in hands-free. (I don't have Bluetooth in my car.)

Just use an extension with two, 3.5mm male stereo jacks to connect the phone to the AUX input. These extensions are about $3 at Radio Shack or Walmart.

The Samsung phone takes a MicroSD card. I store all the music on the card. Thus, when I got a new phone, I just swapped the card from the old phone to the new phone and all the music was there immediately. A 32Gb card is like $8 now.
No I don't have a smartphone. My wife has the latest phone and I just have a trac phone, because I hardly ever need to use a phone.
Can I use a phone for just the music and not have it set up for phone calls?
I am wondering if the ipod is still the way to go because my wife's ipod is still going strong after, I don't know how many years, could be 15. Her ipod doesn't hold many songs at least not the amount I need for it to hold, so that's why I am on a quest to find something to be able to play my music in the Mini.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:21 AM
garthg
1st Gear
Got it. TracPhone=cheap pre-paid cell phone.

But even TracPhone has phones that are almost smartphones. The following is fifty-bucks, has 3G and WiFi connectivity and takes a MicroSD card, and which I'm sure will play music:

http://www.tracfone.com/phone_detail...itle=LG%20840G

Last edited by garthg; 11-27-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
I just finished the upgrade to my MediaBridge (by Audiovox) so that I could use my iPhone 6+ (128Gb).

I had to flash the unit using the new Firmware from Autovox, and change the cable from the older 30 in style to the new lightning style.

I ordered one of the braided cables in black, I also had to order a new front part of the mount from ProClip.

The system now charges, and plays through the Factory Stereo show song data and can be controlled from the steering wheel, I also have bluetooth function for speaking to the phone and making calls but its still not the best.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:55 PM
bcgreen
4th Gear
Got it. TracPhone=cheap pre-paid cell phone.

But even TracPhone has phones that are almost smartphones. The following is fifty-bucks, has 3G and WiFi connectivity and takes a MicroSD card, and which I'm sure will play music:

http://www.tracfone.com/phone_detail...itle=LG%20840G
But can I use the phone only for music and not have phone service?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 AM
garthg
1st Gear
Yes, you can use a phone without phone service, but why would you? You can also use your wife's old iPod. But when the iPod's battery dies (and it will) you'll need to look for something else. You have to be a really dedicated hobbyist to crack open that iPod and replace the battery. Apple won't do it for you.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:55 PM
bcgreen
4th Gear
Yes, you can use a phone without phone service, but why would you? You can also use your wife's old iPod. But when the iPod's battery dies (and it will) you'll need to look for something else. You have to be a really dedicated hobbyist to crack open that iPod and replace the battery. Apple won't do it for you.
I wanted to use her iPod some time ago, but realized it doesn't hold very many songs at all, maybe 50? I was going to look on CL for an iPod that would hold 1,470 songs, but then I read here about the iPod being obsolete and battery issues.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:18 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
I have a NEW iPhone 6+ (128Gb) with 1700+ song on it encoded in AAC (apple -lossless format) and still have a little more than half the storage left.

I am using the AudioVox MediaBridge as the interface but that is not required, any Bluetooth, or 1/8" jack interface would allow you to do this.

Also dont forget that the factory MINI CD Play can decode MP3 format, you can get several hundred songs on a CD encoded in MP3 (128kbits). Yes its not the best encoding but you are listening in a car environment anyway.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:06 AM
weasel
1st Gear
Thanks

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio How to listen to my iTunes in my 2004 Mini.