Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Quick Poll: Who's had Harman Kardon amp failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Ken Zmetra
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class action lawsuit Mini & HK

Originally Posted by miniinblu
I finally after almost a year got m HK fixed. I had electronics shop work on it and had several diagnostics test run on it. They couldn't fix it. Finally we found a guy that had one for sale, however it's an old one and will probably go out again, we unplugged the old one, plugged in the used one and now sound! But what happens when it goes out again? I spoke to Mini USA and my local dealer nothing at all they sent me to HK said it was their problem, HK said they don't have any kind of warranty and that it is totally up to the dealer once they buy the parts from HK it's their problem. What a bunch of jerks, but I had read this was the normal response from both of them. Since we have some that are wanting to looking into class action does someone want to make the call? I was thinking if we look up the attorneys that have won cases against them we might be off to a good start. I warned both HK and Mini that we were talking about a class action suit, they both said that was fine with them. I wonder how fine it will be when we all win! Who wants to make the call? I will be glad to do the research on attorneys that have won cases if no one else wants to. We can set up a Facebook page for failed HK's and run ads on Craigs list to get people who have had a problem with something that is clearly defective and they know it but refuse to accept responsibility. Oh and if any one wants the news media to do a story on this it might help all our cases.
I will gladly join that lawsuit I'm passed off and want tunes !👹👺😱

Old 05-13-2016, 12:48 PM
windshadow
1st Gear
Me To... (04 cooper S march build date) factory Nave and HK... it runs for a few min it the first time its started in the morning then nothing but all displays from the sirius sat radio are seen on the head unit.

searching for someone I can send it to to be repaired. on the O4 does it live with the DVD drive for the Satellite nav under the passenger seat or in the right rear quarter panel?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:03 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Honeymooner
Neutral
Originally Posted by Paul Griffin
Hope you find the solution that works best for you.

The JL Audio XD600/6 I put in my daughter's Mini in 2012 is still working perfectly and sounds great. Took some EQ tweaking at the amp to get the sound she was happy with, but it was great to not have to replace the speakers, or buy any crossovers since its all done at the amp. If you do go with a JL, I think all the info you need is in this thread. The car is outside in N. WA all winter and there don't seem to be any moisture issues with the XD.
Paul - Thanks so much for the suggestion. It's May of 2016 and I wanted to update with a report. I installed a JLAudio M600/6 back in October of last year. All I can say is WOW. Been using this amp for several months now and the only complaint I get from passengers is turn it down its too loud. Brilliant crisp Highs, punchy lows. I have yet to install it in the space in the back, it will fit, just haven't done it. It only took a couple of hours. There is no going back for me.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:35 AM
windshadow
1st Gear
ME too. after 12 years without even a check engine light....
It is amazing no one seems to be offering a repair service perhaps selling repaired amplifiers for a core exchange price for the dead amplifier.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:45 AM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
H/K Issues, Help!

Originally Posted by windshadow
ME too. after 12 years without even a check engine light....
It is amazing no one seems to be offering a repair service perhaps selling repaired amplifiers for a core exchange price for the dead amplifier.
I think mine has failed. My system still plays a muffled muddy sound of music, has anyone had one fail this way? Or do they just quit, no sound?

Old 11-11-2017, 03:42 PM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Member Support

Originally Posted by IDOXLR8
I think mine has failed. My system still plays a muffled muddy sound of music, has anyone had one fail this way? Or do they just quit, no sound?
Answered my own question, YES!!! A Super Member (Pho53) hooked me up, we are back in tune town! Thanks Pho 53 !!!!

Last edited by IDOXLR8; 11-11-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: "spellen"
Old 12-28-2017, 07:02 PM
mstorck33
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Plus one here on the failed Harman Kardon amp

2005 Mini Cooper-S convertible with 49K miles, just recently bought it knowing the stereo didn't work and after much research (and this very informative forum/thread) certain that this is why. The previous owner told me he thought it was the amp for the record. Got a JVC KD-R880BT for Christmas but trying to figure out how to incorporate that into getting the system to work again. I REALLY don't want to pull apart the doors if I can avoid it, plus money is tight so I'm trying to avoid spending more than I absolutely have to.

What I'm wondering is if I go with an aftermarket amp like the JL 600/6, will that affect anything else within the car? (like the CAN-bus system, etc)

Also, thanks to everyone for so much information, it's so helpful and much appreciated.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I have not had mine fail yet and it has 280K miles. But i have a back up just in case. You can tell when its on its way out when you get the loud beep or the cracking and popping and the speakers are fine themselves. 65129146708 or 65129146709

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-or-amp.html

Info on aftermarket amp:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp-option.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...failure-3.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-stereo-430935

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fier-help.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-24-2018, 02:15 AM
DeadErnie
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I've picked up a JL XD600/6 and I've read through this thread but I'm still a bit confused as to how to hook up the input to the JL amp.

Is there anybody that's done this still here that can elaborate?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-24-2018, 07:24 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadErnie
So I've picked up a JL XD600/6 and I've read through this thread but I'm still a bit confused as to how to hook up the input to the JL amp.

Thanks in advance
Good place to start https://technicpnp.com, see if they have a harness for your car. That is the simplest method.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:18 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadErnie

Thanks in advance
Firstly, I don't own a H/K. From what I infer after inspecting the wiring diagrams, H/K amp photos in and out etc, the H/K amp inputs are not the industry standard "line level" inputs that all aftermarket HUs and amps use. To you the JL amp you would likely need to change out the H/K HU too with a aftermarket one.

BTW, it is interesting that the JL XD600/6 is class-D (switch mode) amps and can drive 2-ohm speaker as claimed.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Firstly, I don't own a H/K. From what I infer after inspecting the wiring diagrams, H/K amp photos in and out etc, the H/K amp inputs are not the industry standard "line level" inputs that all aftermarket HUs and amps use. To you the JL amp you would likely need to change out the H/K HU too with a aftermarket one.

BTW, it is interesting that the JL XD600/6 is class-D (switch mode) amps and can drive 2-ohm speaker as claimed.
"Dual-Range Differential Balanced Input Section - The realities of today's installations mean the input section of the amplifier could be connected to a variety of audio sources, which is precisely why the input section of the v2 Spec amplifiers has been intelligently designed to give the user maxium flexibilty. Whether your installation needs require connecting higher powered Speaker-Level Inputs or lower powered Line-Level Inputs, the amplifier will permit either and ensure the high fidelity amplifier output you've come to expect from JL Audio without the need for messy line-output converters and other devices."

Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 PM
pnwR53S
Dual-Range Differential Balanced Input Section
Differential balanced input section means squat except amp'ed up marketing hype to sound impressive. At the end of the day, the input is single ended RCA coax with a very long cable from the HU to where the amp is mounted.

True balanced differential analog signal transmission requires the use of true balanced differential coax cable for interconnect. This ain't one.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Thats interesting but the bolded section is what would be important to the install. Takes either input level and it works with 2 ohm speakers. At least it works with my 2 ohm speakers. If DeadErnie can get the harness kit, the install should be pretty painless.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:26 PM
pnwR53S
Speaker-level (not what you want if you have line-level input), and line-level inputs are nearly always expected inputs on any car amps since the dawn of time.

BTW, class-D amps have came a long way. But for the purists would not want class-D except for processing sub-woofer applications. It is chose here for compactness, big profit margin, and perhaps power efficiency.

Class-D amp functions by chopping DC into pieces, then filter into analog audio again. Think chop suey as Chinese food. I am a foodie and can cook so I cannot help it. Food is as important to me as high fidelity, and high performance machines.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 PM
pnwR53S
choy suey and class-d amp

Choy suey 雜碎 means mindlessly chopped up bit and pieces. It was the earliest American Chinese food. From what I infer after the early Westward expansion of our nation which Chinese labors helped built the transcontinental railways and worked in mining and road building. When the work dried up some of these men started their restaurants. Most can only cook to survive and few had ever cooked back home, let alone trained chefs. Chop suey was all they can do, but soon this started the American Chinese craze.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:34 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
I guess I'll add my name to the ever-growing list of H/K Amps that do not work.....my '06 R52 MCS JCW has the amp under the passenger seat.....I've researched this issue and I also have found out that these are not easily repairable and used ones are way overpriced with no guarantee that used one will work at all when installed.....

I to would like to know of an aftermarket replacement or if I can just by-pass the OE amp and just run the head unit to the speakers with out an amp.....I'm sure I'll have to replace the speakers, and I would only run the 4 large speakers, not the 2 little tweeters in the doors.

Bryan

Old 08-01-2018, 01:38 PM
red calipers
Neutral
It has been a few years now since I replaced mine. For my '03 Mini R53 it is in the trunk. I ended up finding a refurbished JL amp, I believe 4-channel (works well, but I recommend 5 channel, since that is what the OEM is). I haven't had any problems with it after ~5 years.

With an H/K system, it would be nice to have the amp, since it is already a premium sound system. Best of luck!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:46 PM
ItalianJobR53
2nd Gear
I guess my HK amp has failed. I checked the fuses and they seem OK. Sound cut out mid song when I was using the AUX cable.
I'm seeing a lot of used amps on ebay for ~$200. Has anybody bought these?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I have bought ebay ones in the past, you have to make sure they are tested and work, I have heard of people getting them only to find out they are dead and not tested.

Does it cut out with and without the aux cable?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 AM
ItalianJobR53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I have bought ebay ones in the past, you have to make sure they are tested and work, I have heard of people getting them only to find out they are dead and not tested.

Does it cut out with and without the aux cable?
Yup, I'm asking sellers how they tested it if they did.
The first time it cut out was when my friend had his phone connected via AUX. We came home, I disconnected the battery for about a minute ane after reconnecting the radio worked with the key in the ignition. But it cut out again when I started the car and now it's completely dead.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Ok, yep they buy new from us or gamble on an old unit. Some people try to fix the old units or mod an e46 HK amp.

The following users liked this post:
ItalianJobR53 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 AM
ItalianJobR53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Ok, yep they buy new from us or gamble on an old unit. Some people try to fix the old units or mod an e46 HK amp.
Ooh ok.
Do you have any used HK amps? I will be more comfortable buying one from a reputable shop.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I wish we did, but we don't sell used car parts unless it was new and then a scratch and dent. We don't service cars here unless it's for R&D development or company car fitments. So we don't get used parts to put on the site.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Quick Poll: Who's had Harman Kardon amp failure?