Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2007 Cooper S, Basic 'Boost" system, Speaker Wiring Diagram Needed, Accurate please..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
mactechnm
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Cooper S, Basic 'Boost" system, Speaker Wiring Diagram Needed, Accurate please..

Hi! I am obviously new here. I have been browsing the forums though, for several days. I have been trying to find the correct wiring colors/schematic for speakers for the plain old Boost system. Just the 2 speakers in each door, and the 6 x 9's in the back. I have already figured out how to run an 8 Gauge power cable fom the battery (after I found the battery!), however, every thread I go to, and every website I visit, gives different color codes for the speaker wires.

I plan on accessing the right and left/front and rear speaker wires, which I assume are in the kick panels, cutting them (after the head unit/built in amp?), and running all 4 speaker wires (total of 8), to an aftermarket line level converter, then running them to a sub amp and a amp to power the front and rear speakers. Both my amps are capable of 2 Ohm per channel or lower. Then I will run my own speaker cabling, of higher gauge, back to the 4 speakers.

I do understand the rear 6 x 9's are filtered at 100hz. no worries there. I just need to know where to find the right and left front speaker wires (not in the doors, in the kickj panels.). I know there are several right-ups here about this, but NONE of them seem to be accurate, for the Mini Cooper S Coupe, unless I am missing something.

I took both kick panels off, and found that the previous owner had already tapped into some wiring, but did not cut the wires ? Weird. Here is what I have found.

Previous owner tapped into the following wires under the driver side (left, I'm from the USA .....

White wire with Black Stripe
Blue wire with Red Stripe
Brown wire with Orange Stripe
Blue wire with White Stripe

On the passenger (right) side, under the kick panel, previous owner tapped in the following wires... (some in from a white rectangular connecter)...

Green Wire
Brown Wire with Yellow Stripe
and they tapped into a Thick, maybe 14 gauge red wire.

I am assuming the wires under the left driver kick panel are speaker wires, but I am unsure of which speaker, and /or polarity.

If someone knows FOR SURE 100%, what wires I need to access to get to the speakers, I would appreciate it. Right now, my proimary goal is just to get to the front R/L wires, to run to the line level converter, then to the sub.

I am adding some attachments of what I see right now....

Thanks! Jon

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Cooper S, Basic 'Boost" system, Speaker Wiring Diagram Needed, Accurate please..-left-side-copy.jpg   2007 Cooper S, Basic 'Boost" system, Speaker Wiring Diagram Needed, Accurate please..-right-side-copy.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Not to make it sound simple...but did you just try pulling a speaker, and looking at the wires on them for the colors? Maybe a overly simple way to check....but heck, takes 2 seconds.
Then just tap into them very close to the radio...and good to go!!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
mactechnm
Neutral
Thanks, researching....

ZippyNH, Thanks for the prompt reply! I do indeed have the right side door opened up. The factory 6" speaker has the following colors:

Yellow with Black Stripe
Yellow with Brown Stripe

I am going to use an analog multimeter now, to try and see what the polarity of the factory speakers are, because they aren't labeled. Uploading picture if I can... The immediate problem is, I think the colors of the wires change when they go through the door (at least, from prior experience, this isn't an unusual practice, God knows why Car Manufacturers do this), I am looking though....

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Cooper S, Basic 'Boost" system, Speaker Wiring Diagram Needed, Accurate please..-hdr_00195_dark.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Look at the black connector the wires from the midbass driver go to. IIRC there is a single line into the door and then it's split into the wires for the mid and midbass.

Or, you can just run two new 16 gauge wires into the doors and call it a day. You look like you already have all of the panels along the way off anyway.

Last, what amps are you running? You might not need LOCs at all.

The Yellow/Brown is PROBABLY your negative wire. Easy test, grab a 9V battery and a couple of small pieces of wire. Stick one wire into each slot then use those leads to touch the terminals on the 9V. If the speaker moves out, then the wire going to the positive terminal on the 9V is the positive lead on the speaker. If it goes in, it's the negative speaker lead. Make sense?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
mactechnm
Neutral
Update 1

>>> Or, you can just run two new 16 gauge wires into the doors and call it a day. <<<

Good Idea, I might just end up doing that. If I cant find the wires in the kick panel, I found some info that might be useful though, on this page:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...subinstall.pdf

That page says:
Footwell Connector (X9331) - R56 Base Stereo
Signal : Wire Color: Pin: Connect To Signal Wire:
Front Left ++ Black w/ Red Stripe 5 Red
Front Left -- Black w/ Violet Stripe 6 Black (from Blk/Red Pair)
Front Right ++ Yellow w/ Brown Stripe 3 White
Front Right -- Yellow w/ Black Stripe 4 Black (from Blk/Wht Pair)

>>> Last, what amps are you running? You might not need LOCs at all. <<<
I'm running Orion HCCA225 and also a JL Audio E2150 (both amps do have speaker level inputs, but I am missing the connecters

>>> The Yellow/Brown is PROBABLY your negative wire.<<<

You're correct, the Yellow Brown is indeed Negative. I'll post more info as I go. Working on the car again tonight....

Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Something I learned when doing my upgrade, if you can, do NOT bundle all the wires at the edges of panels. It makes the carpet harder, but not impossible, to reinstall. If I was doing it again I'd lay all of the wiring flat on the floor instead.