Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio '06 MCS, "Sports" Steering wheel, little PHONE button???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 AM
olenerycoop12
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 MCS, "Sports" Steering wheel, little PHONE button???

'So, I just recently bought an '06 MCS. Awesome car. Still learning about the bells 'n whistles. QUESTION: my steering wheel has this little button with a phone icon on it. What is that? Is my car bluetooth enabled? How do I set it up, to activate my bluetooth capabilities? Or, is it for something else? Please advise. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Buttons were installed....starting in jan2005 builds (on your gen1l, but the option and kit was very rare...did not actually ship till much later...
Kits like blur parrot can actually hook up to the button, and work better for about 25% the cost of the oem kit.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 PM
olenerycoop12
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Buttons were installed....starting in jan2005 builds (on your gen1l, but the option and kit was very rare...did not actually ship till much later...
Kits like blur parrot can actually hook up to the button, and work better for about 25% the cost of the oem kit.
Thanks for the advice! I'm guessing the button, for now, is just a placeholder, or for bling factor, only, for now. ! I'll look into the blur-parrot, to see if it fits the budget.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 AM
TheBelcherMan
1st Gear
I've got an '06 MCS R52 and this weekend I yanked out the HK system and installed Kenwood's new KDC-X996 head unit, 5 Channel Kenwood XR-5S amp and all new speakers. I used Pac-Audio's SWI-RC to integrate the factory steering wheel controls. Now my little Phone button answers and ends calls.

I purchased my MINI about a month ago and can remember thinking the same thing about that button. I weighed the cost of adding the blue-tooth kit and iPod integration, and in the end, I just couldn't justify spending all that money on a very old proprietary system. So I bit the bullet and yanked it all out and installed a new open system.

I've taken really good notes and pictures if anyone wants to try it themselves, I would love to give back to the community that has helped me so very much.

I just love my MINI, I'm almost 50 and it's the most fun I've ever had on the road.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
olenerycoop12
1st Gear
Thanks for the feeback/input, folks! When there's room in the piggy-bank, I'll probably "invest" in the technology to make the fancy little button useful! Motor on!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM
rangerfan
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheBelcherMan
I've got an '06 MCS R52 and this weekend I yanked out the HK system and installed Kenwood's new KDC-X996 head unit, 5 Channel Kenwood XR-5S amp and all new speakers. I used Pac-Audio's SWI-RC to integrate the factory steering wheel controls. Now my little Phone button answers and ends calls.

I purchased my MINI about a month ago and can remember thinking the same thing about that button. I weighed the cost of adding the blue-tooth kit and iPod integration, and in the end, I just couldn't justify spending all that money on a very old proprietary system. So I bit the bullet and yanked it all out and installed a new open system.

I've taken really good notes and pictures if anyone wants to try it themselves, I would love to give back to the community that has helped me so very much.

I just love my MINI, I'm almost 50 and it's the most fun I've ever had on the road.
I'd love any write up, photos and/or info that you can provide. I'm thinking seriously about pulling out my system and going with something more functional.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM
TheBelcherMan
1st Gear
I've still got her all torn apart, give me a couple of days to wrap the project up and I'll put together a "R52 HK Forklift Upgrade" thread.

I'm trying to decide on a sub enclosure today, not a lot of options though, but I'm thinking of a JL Audio wedge box. JL Audio makes a great product, and made in the USA in sunny south Florida.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 AM
BGustafson
1st Gear
Sorry to dig up an insanely old topic. I've been searching for hours trying to find a tutorial with images on how to do exactly this. Any chance you ever had the time to upload all the images from your install of the SWI-RC?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM
TheBelcherMan
1st Gear
Let me have a look.

Originally Posted by BGustafson
Sorry to dig up an insanely old topic. I've been searching for hours trying to find a tutorial with images on how to do exactly this. Any chance you ever had the time to upload all the images from your install of the SWI-RC?
I never did formally put a how-to together. Didn't really seam like their was much interest. Now the question is can I find all my old pics? It's not really all that hard maybe 2 hrs worth of labor. And that's a complete rookie trying to decipher their instructions.

Do you already have the new after-market head unit installed?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM
BGustafson
1st Gear
I never did formally put a how-to together. Didn't really seam like their was much interest. Now the question is can I find all my old pics? It's not really all that hard maybe 2 hrs worth of labor. And that's a complete rookie trying to decipher their instructions.

Do you already have the new after-market head unit installed?
I just ordered it yesterday so I have not installed it yet.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Based on the E46 threads, which is the same system, the PAC requires some programming.

The MFSW uses the iBus to send messages to the radio. The iBus is connected to many other modules and contains lots of shared chatter about various non-essential vehicle systems such as the window positions, current gear, dimming level, handbrake position, rain sensor readings, RPM, GPS location etc.

You need to disconnect the iBus from the steering wheel and connect it to the PAC. This means you don't accidentally learn VOL+ commands to a GEAR=P or RPM=0 iBus message (!).

Next you begin learning, as described in the PAC-SW manual. You learn the iBus commands from the MFSW and so on to the [pioneer] resistive or serial commands.

After the learning is complete and tested working, that you can reconnect the vehicle iBus to the MFSW and retain your MFSW illumination dimming support i suppose. (owners can confirm).

Be sure to understand if you have HK audio that the amp will no longer turn on without a BMW radio or HK enabler.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 AM
BGustafson
1st Gear
Thanks for the tips. I'd really dig pictures anyone is able to find of the install. I'm really green when it comes to doing projects like this so I'm not worried about the programming part as much as I am about the splicing cables and opening up my car part of the process.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Andrew Jones
Neutral

I'm going to be giving this a go in a few days once the SWI-RC arrives. The line in the instructions "You must find the wire at the steering wheel column. Cut wire in half." kinda scares me more than a little though. I know it's a few years ago now, but can you recall if it was a pretty straight forward process to identify which wire in the steering wheel column needs cutting? I'd hate to screw it up. I'd have thought the required wire would already be going to the old radio.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 PM
quicksilver2003
2nd Gear
I just did this last weekend. The wire is very easy to find/identify. It's under the steering column cover. There's a thick bundle of wires under there along the door side of the steering column. Open up the tape that's over them and find the wire you need. Cut it, strip the steering wheel end of the wire, connect the wire for the SWI-RC and you're good to go.