Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio How Many Have Integral Audio 1101S Sub System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Meister
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How Many Have Integral Audio 1101S Sub System?

How many of you R56 MINI Maniacs have purchased and installed the Integral Audio 1101S Sub and Amp system? I am thinking of getting this for my 2009 JCW Hardtop but I have some questions.

Was it is worth the near $1,000 price tag?
How did the installation go?
Sound improvement over stock 6 speaker system?

I bought a system that seems similar to this for my 2002 M3 Convertible from Bavarian Soundwerks and am really happy with it including the "stealth" installation. That is one of the aspects that I like most about the Integral Audio product at least from pictures but I would like some real life testamonials (or gripes).

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:35 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mini Me 2009
How many of you R56 MINI Maniacs have purchased and installed the Integral Audio 1101S Sub and Amp system? I am thinking of getting this for my 2009 JCW Hardtop but I have some questions.

Was it is worth the near $1,000 price tag?
How did the installation go?
Sound improvement over stock 6 speaker system?

I bought a system that seems similar to this for my 2002 M3 Convertible from Bavarian Soundwerks and am really happy with it including the "stealth" installation. That is one of the aspects that I like most about the Integral Audio product at least from pictures but I would like some real life testamonials (or gripes).

Thanks!
Would be curious to hear opinions... This in on my upgrade list but I just can't justify the price as the H/K is "good enough" IMO for now. If I had $1000 lying around part of it would be going towards an iPad3!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Meister
3rd Gear
Unfortunately (I think) I don't have the HK system - just base 6 speaker. Needs some help!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
There are a lot of folks on this board with the sub, hopefully they'll chime in here for you. This sub-forum isn't all that heavily trafficked, so in the meantime you may want to start with the reviews section of this site - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uct/460/cat/52. You may want to PM some of the reviewers.

Keep in mind that our Soundstage upgrade is due out very shortly....it's a game-changer in terms of audio upgrades for the MINI and designed to work with the Subwoofer for a complete system.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Integral Audio
There are a lot of folks on this board with the sub, hopefully they'll chime in here for you. This sub-forum isn't all that heavily trafficked, so in the meantime you may want to start with the reviews section of this site - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uct/460/cat/52. You may want to PM some of the reviewers.

Keep in mind that our Soundstage upgrade is due out very shortly....it's a game-changer in terms of audio upgrades for the MINI and designed to work with the Subwoofer for a complete system.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Kevin - I'm sure you have posted it somewhere already - but can we get more details on the Soundstage setup?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have it and love it. It really fills the car properly, IMHO. Install was ok, I did it myself.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I have it ALL right now and was fortunate enough to have worked with Kevin since April 2010 as he designed this system. The full enchilada on my experience is HERE.

The bottom line - Kevin cares about what he does and has set this up perfectly. The HK system is JUNK in comparison to the Soundstage combined with the 1101S Sub. I have had the Soundstage since June and while I knew it was fantastically crisp and clear, I was reminded of how good when I had to take a Clubman with HK as a loaner. I still don't know what MINI is thinking. If they were smart, they would be talking to Integral Audio about making this a dealer installed option.

I started with the Hi-Fi (8 speakers) so you starting with the base system is simple - you will hear and feel a substantial improvement.

Best of luck as you decide. It is a good chunk of change to consider, but you will read from other members that for the components that are included, it is priced extremely well.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
I have it as well. I have the H/K system too and the sub really brings the H/K system to life. Now I have deep bass, and decent mid-range (H/K system still sucks compared to aftermarket).

If you've put systems in your cars before, it's not that hard of an install. I would say 6-7 out of 10 for an average person. If you've never done an install, I would recommend finding someone who can do it for you. Just a lot of parts that go into it, and for someone completely new, could be easy to miss something or eff something up.

Anyways, for me it was well worth the $1000 price tag. Looks like it's not even there, and performs great.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I have the sub and the Soundstage. Is it worth it? Do you love to listen to music that can be played loud and still sound clear then all the IA products are for you.

I started with the Sub. I live in the NYC area. I contacted Kevin about doing the install. It was nice to meet him in person and he did a fabulous job.

I was so impressed with the sub and his work that I sent Kevin an email stating that when the Soundstage becomes available, I was going to be first in line to get one.

I have a beta version of the Soundstage in my car and I love it.

Its a well designed, well though out system with great instructions for doing the install. And Kevin is only a phone call or email away if you need his assistance.

There is nothing more to say.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Meister
3rd Gear
Thanks to all for the info and feedback. I have the sub system on my to do list now. Just need to save up the funds for it. Kevin, I will be in contact when the time comes. Is there firm pricing for the Soundstage plus Sub kit at this time?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks all for the responses and kind words - they are much appreciated!

Mini_Me_2009, pricing for the Soundstage + Subwoofer is $2299 shipped. See this post for more detail - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3448433.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another happy IA subwoofer owner. I had never installed any car stereo components in my life, and with the supplied instructions and a couple of calls to Kevin, the install went really well. As with any job having the right tools helps a lot (such as plastic tools for removing trim pieces without damage).

The sub transforms the HK system in the car to a much better overall sound experience. I am still interested in the Soundstage though because the midrange in the HK system still doesnt sound quite as I would like it.

To those that have the Soundstage at this point, how would you describe the overall sound in comparison to some other high end car systems you have heard? For instance, my Volvo XC90 has a fantastic system and though it has a center channel that cannot be replicated here, I would love to be able to enjoy the same overall sound quality in my MINI.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my IA Subwoofer in this weekend. Didn't have time to finish mounting the box and putting all the trim back, but I can say this...it is PHENOMENAL. Yes, it's expensive, but you get what you pay for, which is transformational sound. The car becomes a music machine with this sub. I was able to back off on the bass on the stock HiFi system so that the mids weren't muddy and the stock woofers were essentially rendered impotent (a good thing). The sound is now rich and full.

I'm not a ghetto blaster, but I can play modern music (rock, alternative) and not have it garbled. If I crank it up, it will rumble the neighborhood without distortion if that's what I want.

Gotta give props to Kevin for putting together a top-quality kit that is well-organized and complete, down to the last screw and wire. It's not a difficult install, but it is time-consuming. Working slowly, I got it (mostly) done in about 6 hours. I would have been done except that I had previously slathered by cargo area with dampening (SecondSkin Alpha Damp with Luxury Liner Pro on top). I'll have to cut out the liner so the sub box sits as it should.

So far, I'd say (no pun) it's the best bang for the buck of any upgrade I've done. The true test for me is the lack of buyer's remorse. Some upgrades are only so-so and after completing, I question whether or not it was worth it. The IA Subwoofer is the exception. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Meister
3rd Gear
OK, pulled the trigger on the IA sub system this morning. Starting to save for the Soundstage upgrade now! Looking forward to receiving the sub system and doing the install. Thanks everyone!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM
juchong
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any chance that we can get the box by itself? I'm already running a fairly elaborate setup, but my original stealthbox was damaged due to water. I've got everything else, I just need the box!