Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:00 PM
ThomasvdB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooter24
Hi everyone. Im interested in doing this retrofit also. I have a 2011 mcs, I've been reading and reading this thread and I am still a little confused on a few things. First I keep hearing ccc and cic I'm guessing that the different models of radio? When I do this the spedo with the screen does it have to match ccc or cic or is that I guess a universal part? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Just trying to understand as much as I can before tackling this project.
Hi!

CCC and CIC are two different kind of radios. You cannot use a CCC headunit with a CIC display (this is also impossible the other way around). The CCC had two diskreaders. One of them is used for the navi. The CIC is updated true a USB port.

Most people like the CIC better.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Ps. there are no such things as dumb questions, only dumb answers.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah it makes perfect sense, thanks. Now I just have to acquire all the parts I need. This is going to add up supper fast. Wish I could find combox and head unit at a good price.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Is there a way to tell if the radio and screen are cic and ccc? Or is it just based upon year?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
If you're gonna go through this process, I wouldn't want the CCC system for a number of reasons. CCC is the antiquated Nav system in the 2007-2010 R56 that runs on DVD maps. It is a 10 year old Nav system. Who knows when they might discontinue DVD map updates (they already did for the gen 1 DVD Nav system). MINI replaced the infotainment system with CIC as part of the model refresh in 2011. CIC has a higher resolution screen and based on flash storage instead of DVD. It also added MINI Connected capability (although its usefulness is questionable).

Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 AM
ThomasvdB
Neutral
Is there a way to tell if the radio and screen are cic and ccc? Or is it just based upon year?
You can see it by looking at the connections on the screen and headunit. I dont know the exact difference in the screen. The headunit of the CCC had two disk loaders (one CD and one DVD) the CIC should only have one.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Ok there are a few things that have crossed my mind and are confusing me again. My 2011 mcs has boosted cd and Bluetooth. It also has a USB/auxiliary port in the cuby behind the front cup holders. 1) the bluetooth in my car now is built into the radio/head unit so there is no Antena? Also on page 4 of this thread post #94 there is a parts list that I have been going by. In the list it says (usb socket and holder for map updates, glovebox) my question is should I be able to hook up the USB/auxiliary socket that's already in my car to the combox that I have to get instead of getting a new usb socket? Or do I have to get a new one? If I have to get a new one what will my old usb port be used for? Nothing?. Also when wiring in the joystick I know you have to wire into the radio harness, do you also wire the power and ground wires from the joy sticks to into the radio harness or do you wire that directly to its own place of your choosing? Thanks.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
One more thing the main wiring harness coming from the combox that goes into the back of the radio. So I'm guessing all I have to do is splice into the correct wires on the radio harness? I'm guessing this is the correct pin layout for the combox main harness, since I got it from the thread.

Combox Media 26 POL connector wiring:
1 Power T30
14 Ground
10 AUX GND
23 AUX NF L
24 AUX NF R
22 AUX BLNC
25 MIC+
12 MIC-
11 MIC BLNC[/QUOTE]

Old 12-11-2016, 10:33 AM
ahorvath
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes that is correct.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Has anyone found a US based company who sells cic emulators? I don't want to wait 2 plus weeks on one from China. :(

Old 12-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
When installing the New spedo with nav screen did you guys have to drill a little hole in the dash so the plastic piece on the back of the spedo will sit in, so the spedo will sit flat on the dash?

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-20161217_172849.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-20161217_212434.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 AM
ALLMAGAutoParts
Former Vendor
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When installing the New spedo with nav screen did you guys have to drill a little hole in the dash so the plastic piece on the back of the spedo will sit in, so the spedo will sit flat on the dash?
**FOR REFERENCE**

Follow this link and you will see a small hole on the bracket where that stub goes in to.

http://www.allmagautoparts.com/produ...43-51169206834

This is the radio bracket for vehicles with factory Navi.

- Chris

Old 12-20-2016, 09:38 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ALLMAGAutoParts
**FOR REFERENCE**

Follow this link and you will see a small hole on the bracket where that stub goes in to.

http://www.allmagautoparts.com/produ...43-51169206834

This is the radio bracket for vehicles with factory Navi.

- Chris
If there are any other differences, he should buy the carrier. Otherwise just cut off the stub.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
I just drilled a little hole. It was small. And I do not see any structural issues a drill and a small of a hole. I just didn't know if there was already a spot on some dash. And mine was just the odd ball that didn't have it.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
When it comes to wiring power and ground for the nav screen, joystick, and combox from everything I have read and looked on on Here it showes that everything is connected to radio power (pin 15, red/green) and ground (br/white/). That pin and power is a constant power. So if the screen and stuff is wired to that it'll alway be powered up? So wouldn't the screen always be on?

Old 12-21-2016, 02:23 AM
kmcneill202
Neutral
Hello everyone! I'm a new member and obsessively browsing this thread has made me join the party!

I've been rolling around the idea of tackling this mod for a while now, but I'm hoping to get a concise answer before moving forward.

I have a 2008 MCS with the standard Boost CD and Mini HIFI stereo with factory bluetooth for phone calls only, voice commands, and the aux/usb port in the cubby behind the cup holders. Given that it's a 2008 and all my controls and switches are silver and not black, it's pre-LCI correct?

From what I'm gathering from this thread, initially I would upgrade to the CCC nav unit, but is it possible to further upgrade to the CiC unit in my pre-LCI car? I like the UI of the newer nav unit, and adding bluetooth streaming would be nice, along with the better and update-able maps for nav.

If I were to upgrade to a navigation unit, what parts would I need to acquire before moving forward? (aside from the obvious screen/speedo, radio unit, and joystick controls)

Also, would I be able to retain my car's current features with the new navigation unit? i.e. bluetooth phone calls, USB/AUX port, PDC, etc.

Any advice/help/guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
I do believe u can go to the newer unit. Don't quote me, there is a parts list on page 4 of this thread. That's is what I used and it is literally everything. In order to keep bluetooth and stuff you need a combox.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 AM
kmcneill202
Neutral
I do believe u can go to the newer unit. Don't quote me, there is a parts list on page 4 of this thread. That's is what I used and it is literally everything. In order to keep bluetooth and stuff you need a combox.
Doesn't my car already have the combox since I have the bluetooth feature already? Or is that needed to have bluetooth phone calls and audio streaming for the CiC unit? If I upgraded to the CCC unit would I still need the combox?

Old 12-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
From what I have read on here you won't have a combox if u don't have oem nav. And the combox run all bluetooth and aux related stuff u wired the aux wires from the (r1 and r2) portion of the radio harness down to the combox. And I'd upgrade to cic instead of ccc. Mostly because the CCC is the older display and unit. Updating maps in done via cd. And the cic is the newer display and is updated via usb. Someone on here said that who knows when the will do away with map updates via cd.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:26 AM
ThomasvdB
Neutral
From what I have read on here you won't have a combox if u don't have oem nav. And the combox run all bluetooth and aux related stuff u wired the aux wires from the (r1 and r2) portion of the radio harness down to the combox. And I'd upgrade to cic instead of ccc. Mostly because the CCC is the older display and unit. Updating maps in done via cd. And the cic is the newer display and is updated via usb. Someone on here said that who knows when the will do away with map updates via cd.

This is not completely true.
The CCC can also be updated by DVD (there are two systems within CCC)
The CIC does not have to be newer, it can be more or less of the same age.

The CIC is a better system but also harder to build in. plus it is more expensive to purchase.

If you already have bleutooth etc now you can get it to work. I just finished my build in (CCC) in my 2010 Cooper S R56. My bleutooth works, aux and USB don't work and PDC does not work yet. (I already had a PDC malfunction before the built)

The partslist is also something you cannot rely on 100%. It completely depends on the available cables and connections in your car. Almost every car has a different loom.

For example: I was missing my 3-pin Fan plug. could not find it anywhere. in the end it is the same as the diskchanger and I believe AUC or USB connection.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
I'm trying to get that last little bit of wiring figured out. The wires on the r1/r2 portion of the radio harness I know are for aux and the mic and I know they have to be ran down to the combox. And i know the combox pin layout is

Combox Media 26 POL connector wiring:
1 Power T30
14 Ground
10 AUX GND
23 AUX NF L
24 AUX NF R
22 AUX BLNC
25 MIC+
12 MIC-
11 MIC BLNC[/QUOTE]

But what I need and am having trouble finding and I don't see it in the thread is what each wire within r1/r2 are according to their color. I need help so I know what pin to wire each wire to. I know the green/white, red/white, and purple are to aux plug and I'm guessing the yellow/black and green are for mic but when I pop the cover off the mic and look at the wiring the colors are solid yellow and black. Also in the diagrams on 4 it says (shield-clear) I'm guessing that is the solideal grey color wire in my r1 section of my plug but what exactly does (shield) mean? Any help would be great. This is the last little bit I need to finish this once my combox comes from Lithuania! Thanks and happy holidays!

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-screenshot_20161214-003311.png   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-20161224_163915.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
When you wire in the emulator the signal from the can wires enter The emulator and then exit the emulator my question is when you wire in the joysticks and the display do they need to be wired in pre or post emulator signal? Or does it not matter or should it not matter?

Old 01-05-2017, 03:00 PM
ahorvath
2nd Gear
I wired the emulator between the car and the NAV so joystick screen one side car other side.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM
sandroatg
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi guys,
I would like to connect my new PDC module to nav system, but I have not found schematics on WDS.
I don't know what are the pins for PDC on radio harness.
Who can help me?

Old 01-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Siempre
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

when retrofitting from R56 visual boost to R56 navigation system, understood that it is compulsary to have a combox.

I found a combox. Do I need sth else? My car already have a visual boost, bt and usb.

Waiting for your reply, thanks.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:50 AM
ahorvath
2nd Gear
You will need to get combox, GPS antenna and emulator. That should be it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.