Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Audio Basics: Specs, Details, and Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM
aerodynamics
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StuRat

I used the AUX and it was horrible (no bass and songs were muffled). I installed the OEM MINI/BMW I-POD Interface which goes in the hidden compartment and plugs into the I-POD using a 30 pin sync connector (whatever that’s called…lol) just like the docking station and it sounded a little better (not great) but had the convenience of (next) (FF and RW) I-pod control from the steering wheel and complete control of the I-POD from the MINI head unit. After some research I found that I needed to re rip my CDs using the Apple Lossless format and it is night and day difference when using the IA Soundstage and subwoofer. It’s like listening to the CD. I have been slowly re-ripping all my CDs and my MINI sounds firkin awesome …. Ever note is crystal clear; I’ve been told that people hear stuff in songs they have never heard before when in my JCW…..I use the AUX when I’m in my 06 GP just because I don’t want to modify it in any way….Hope this helps
Is there a limit on songs/folders when using this cable?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
StuRat
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by aerodynamics
Is there a limit on songs/folders when using this cable?
So far it's worked fine for me with my 160gb classic 3/4 full, my old original 80g (which is ten years old or so) would stop at Artist "S" but when i got the new one its fine...... it will get to my Willie Nelson tunes... lol, it's just takes a while to get there... I have Playlists set up for different types of music so that helps
... works inplace of the CD funtions
CD 1 is by song
CD 2 Artist
CD 3 Playlist
CD 4 Podcast.....
CD 5 gender...
CD 6 .....

Can’t remember if it's in that order or not as i just keep it on whatever the one is for Artist and Playlist....
the 160GB classic just stays in the hidden compartment… it will lock up every once in a while and I just unplug it and plug it back in and it’s fine… my MINI sits for weeks or more sometimes without getting driven so maybe that has something to do with it.. Has locked up maybe 3 or 4 times in the 2 years I’ve had it installed.…it saved my *** when I drove 4,000mls total to the Dragon last year in a week… lol , having all that music on a road trip with such easy access was great… it charges too so no worries about cords and cables…. It wasn’t cheap thought but worth every penny.. I may put one in my GP also…. Just using the AUX for now in it

Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
aerodynamics
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Integral Audio
The AUX is purely analog, and has a number of shortcomings - notably a poor quality connector and design. It's also plagued by the various sensor voltages that are applied to the headphone jack on phones/mp3 players/etc. What I don't recall at the moment (someone else help me here) is whether the MINI USB uses it's onboard DAC or the external devices. If you can unplug the 3.5mm jack and still get audio when in USB control then you are getting digital from the external device. This SHOULD be the case, I just can't remember right now. Anyway, this is preferable and is far superior to the analog 3.5mm jack.
After researching, it seems the USB port only charges and provides HU/MFSW controls while the AUX handles the audio, hence the need for the Y-cable. Can anyone verify this?

Definitely not. Those would do nothing to improve an already flat signal, and using any of the eq features would negate the vehicle-specific crossover design. The best way to think of the IA systems is that they already have this functionality built in! That's the whole point. Granted, it is done at the analog rather than digital level, but given the higher level of measurement and modeling that we do, and the precision with which we can tailor those analog circuits (remember, we design and build our own PCBs), the end result is far superior, with zero room for error.
Awesome! Now I just have to figure out a way to get a digital signal in, retain HU/MSFW controls and have song ID displayed on the Boost HU. I've seen 3rd party USB boxes that use the CDC port but these usually have limitations on the number of songs/files.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
StuRat
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
All my Songs, Artists and Playlist's show up on the HU display... even the Playlist's I creat show up with the name i give them...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM
joeswaney
Neutral
I recognize this is in the 2nd gen area, but the title "MINI Audio 101: Specs, Details, and Upgrades (START HERE!)" doesn't seem to discriminate against the more senior members of the MINI vehicle base, and post #7 mentions the IA 1101S sub setup for the 1st gen....

I've read through all five pages of this sticky now, and I either read it and totally failed to recognize it, or the answer to my question is still awaiting someone (me?) to ask it. New (to me) R50 with stock sound. I've looked at and bookmarked the Ia sub setup for my car, but I don't see any solution / recommended items to upgrade the rest of the system from stock speakers and head to better speakers (and perhaps an amp for them). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 AM
jcwzap
Banned
heres his secret

Originally Posted by el_chupo_
Ahh, nothing like a little condescension with lunch .

Nope, not an engineer. Dont think I claimed to be, or even implied it.

again, best of luck selling your kit. Ill go back to dealing with "transducer and systems engineers" that are willing to help expand knowledge for others.

Have a great day!
here's where u will find what he uses and where he gets it from.........

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...bwoofer-4-ohm/

Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 AM
jcwzap
Banned
this is y he doesnt answer your questions.............because he's stroking everyone that doesn't do their homework. I personaly believe that the 6x9 area is meant for subs.....and the boot area should be free of clutter..........

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 AM
jcwzap
Banned
after all.........y would MINI have those cut outs!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 AM
jcwzap
Banned
Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM
jcwzap
Banned
answers to all your questions mate!

http://www.madisound.com/

Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 AM
jcwzap
Banned
full metal jacket the movie

Originally Posted by jcwzap
Don't mess with me Pile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 AM
marendt428
1st Gear
Kevin, great write up, Thanks! Quick question, what gauge is the factory speaker wire on the R56 HK system?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
here's where u will find what he uses and where he gets it from.........

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...bwoofer-4-ohm/
That speaker information is posted directly on the product page of our website. I wouldn't exactly call that a secret. Even so, you still managed to select the wrong speaker.

this is y he doesnt answer your questions.............because he's stroking everyone that doesn't do their homework. I personaly believe that the 6x9 area is meant for subs.....and the boot area should be free of clutter..........
Been addressed over and over on this forum why that isn't a good solution. Saying two 6x9's is the same as a proper larger subwoofer driver is kind of like saying using two small high revving 4 cylinder engines is the same as using a large block high torque truck V8. Completely different capabilities.

Of course, I'm not really responding to you since you were banned for plugging your non-advertising vendor's second rate mid-fi imports, so this response is really just for other readers.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by marendt428
Kevin, great write up, Thanks! Quick question, what gauge is the factory speaker wire on the R56 HK system?
Varies by speaker if I recall, I'd have to look it up. Why do you ask/What are you trying to do?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM
cumang0
2nd Gear
Firstly, thank you for the useful information Integral Audio, it is highly appreciated and I would love to upgrade my Mini Boost to your system. However, it is way above my budget so I have decided to go for a more route that is more affordable for my personal situation.

I have current plans to replace every speaker in the car, and what I have done so far is install HK pillar tweeters as well as the channel swap.

I will be going with Pioneer Audio for my audio needs but have some questions that I cannot find the answers to due to lack of knowledge and experience.

The speakers I have in mind will be Pioneer 6 x 9's (straightforward), and component 6 3/4 component speakers for the front (will be replacing the HK tweeters).

A few uncertainties arise:

1. I am trying to source mid-range speakers that will fit the ones by the door handles which is tough due to the fact that my setup at the moment is sub- 3-way. I am having trouble finding a custom sized speaker for this placement from many audio manufacturers (the more affordable ones), but have found one by Pioneer. However, I am not sure if it will fit, and the connection is designed for certain OEM purposes. Here is the link to the speaker: [url]http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/131/201/TS-1001i/page.html[/img]

2. I understand that the 2-way 6 3/4 component speakers are designed to work by themselves and not with a mid-range speaker in a 3-way setup such as the Mini R56s with the a-pillar tweeters. Will installing standard 2-way components work when incorporating them into the car with the mid-range door speaker? I plan to purchase these: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2...32CI/page.html

3. Would it be better to completely ditch the mid-range speaker and go with the industry standard 2-way component in the front? At the moment I will be using the OEM Boost Headunit, which pushes very little power and have a feeling it will not be very good at pushing new 6x9s, 2-way components, and mid-range speakers. Perhaps in the future I will upgrade the original stereo to an aftermarket 2-din and add an active amplifier to push the new speakers to their RMS potentials.

4. Is my current setup-mini boost 4 channel with the added tweeters- still a 4-channel setup? Which speakers are sharing the same outputs (mid-range and mid-range woofer)? I am not sure if the front speaker setup is a 3-way or 2-way with tweeters stealing channel power...

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM
cumang0
2nd Gear
if i add oem tweeters to my mini boost, is it a proper 3-way system?

what if i want to upgrade all three speakers, would i get a 2-way component and replace the original mid-range by the door handle? (can't afford focal 3-ways)

Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cumang0
if i add oem tweeters to my mini boost, is it a proper 3-way system?

what if i want to upgrade all three speakers, would i get a 2-way component and replace the original mid-range by the door handle? (can't afford focal 3-ways)
A 2 way component is what OP recommends in the first post. I did that and put a tweeter in the upper door position and woofer in the lower door. There may be some rationale to what you suggest in a " proper". 3 way system using a combination of front and back speakers but i had not heard of that yet.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM
cumang0
2nd Gear
i haven't heard of a 3-way system utilizing the 6x9's in the back either, but i would like to know if it's possible to use a 2-way component, where the tweeter is mounted in the OEM HiFi/HK position on the a-pillar and the woofer is mounted on the bottom door, in addition, adding a mid-range 3-4 inch speaker in the mid door position by the door handle. *will this work*

Currently my speaker setup is all factory (adding HK tweeters to the mini boost) and all speakers are functioning which leads me to think that it is theoretically a 3-way system at the front stage, but what is it in terms of physical speaker wiring?. I just dont know if adding a 2-way component system + a mid range speaker in the positions mentioned above would work and would like to know if anybody can chime in on this. I plan to simply replace the rear speakers and keep them as their respective channels. thanks!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Scitz0
Neutral
I own a R56 -08 with the Hi-Fi kit installed. I have thought several times on how and what to replace it with as I'm not happy with the sound. My first thought was to get the HK system and just replace my Hi-Fi with this one. Googling the web for HK reviews I found this thread and I must say that it sounds very interesting indeed.

A couple of questions though, I live in Sweden and thus have the EU model, are there any differences that would make the IA system incompatible? Thinking primarily on electrical connections where it could differ.

I read a thread on our Swedish MINI forum where a guy replaced Hi-Fi speakers with aftermarket ones. While doing this he also installed dampening material(Silent Coat) on almost all surfaces available. Is this a good idea or will it have a negative effect on the IA system?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
marendt428
1st Gear
Just my two cents...1. Aftermarket speakers (Infinity reference/kappa) would be a lot more bang for your buck. 2. Sound dampening material is a must, even if you don't upgrade the speakers, adding sound dampening alone will make a huge difference in sound quality and ride noise/comfort.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Scitz0
Neutral
Ok thanks for you input. I will see if I go all the way with the IA system or the cheap approach and just replace speakers.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 AM
MottyMCCS
Neutral
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere already, but what is the easiest way to wire up aftermarket speakers? Base speakers have there own plastic connector, can I get a harness instead of splicing? Or shall I just cut n crimp new connectors?
Thanks guys.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
Soldering is best but a quality crimp will do

Originally Posted by MottyMCCS
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere already, but what is the easiest way to wire up aftermarket speakers? Base speakers have there own plastic connector, can I get a harness instead of splicing? Or shall I just cut n crimp new connectors?
Thanks guys.
Unless you have a big amp and will cause major vibration Crimping will do.
If you have a big amp with some frame shaking bass in which case I would solder the connections at the speaker.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You might know this already, but regular USB stick works great and retains all the data and playlist, etc. I just copied over my itunes library and plugged the USB in and alls well.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subscribed

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MINI Audio Basics: Specs, Details, and Upgrades