Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Dash mounting a GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash mounting a GPS

I've been reading thru all of the different amazing builds where people mount 7" double din headunits using the new Metra kit, but I don't want to spending thousands of dollars nor lose the use of any computers, on board, etc.

My question is, could I use the metra kit to easily dash mount a 7" Magellin (sp?) GPS? So i buy the new double din center stack and fab it to fit the GPS. What could i do with the old headunit since i want to keep it? Could it just snuggle behind there since I'm not installing a new headunit? Also, could i relocate the volume **** easily?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
I've been reading thru all of the different amazing builds where people mount 7" double din headunits using the new Metra kit, but I don't want to spending thousands of dollars nor lose the use of any computers, on board, etc.
Glad to hear some people read threads before asking questions.

My question is, could I use the metra kit to easily dash mount a 7" Magellin (sp?) GPS?
There would not be enough room to fit the GPS in there in front of the stereo system/Central Car Computer (both are part of the head unit)

So i buy the new double din center stack and fab it to fit the GPS. What could i do with the old headunit since i want to keep it?
well without the head unit in there you would not have any music or computer for generating the dash displays. I have seen on e person say that they have pushed the head unit back behind the speedo but after having mine apart not sure how he did it without major cutting of structural supports to the dash.

Could it just snuggle behind there since I'm not installing a new headunit? Also, could i relocate the volume **** easily?
Volume **** is part of the head unit and not easily removable.