Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Mini Cooper Double Din install Idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 PM
celticjamesp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper Double Din install Idea

Ok i have an idea on how to make the perfect double din install in my car

This is what i was thinking :

1) buy the metra face place Kit shown on following link

http://www.installer-parts.com/php/b...php?carid=8395

2) buy the BMRC-01product on the following page , its the one down after the metra kit

http://www.installer-parts.com/php/by_car.php?carid=83953)

Then Tuck my original sterio behind the speedo like on the other thread wich is again shown below

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-install.html

Then all i need to do is put in a double din head unit and all should work fine?

am i correct? , please give your advice and feedback many thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes..
I ran new wires from the x9331 connector to the back of the dash, a power and an accessory wire. I had all this done to the secret compartment for a year, but recently moved to this metra unit. Same idea though. Also, you'll need an antenna adapter for your aftermarket headunit if you want radio.

The cd player beind the speedo isn't as easy as it looks. You have to cut out a plastic brace that connects the two halves of the dash behind the speedo. It definitely weakens the dash housing structurally, but its nothing dramatic. No rattles or anything from doing this, as that was my worry. Also, when you fit the cd player up there, you'll be forcing the top portion of the dash housing upwards, which makes for an unalignment of the two torx bolts that connect the dash to this housing bracket. Thus, you'll have to force it back into place to get the screws back in. It may help with two people, or be like me and convulse your body into such a position where your head is wedged between the top of the dash and windshield just to get enough leverage to get the damn thing back together.

You'll also have to finagle the volume button to get it to fit in the space above your double din and under the speedo. This is the rectangular circuit board plate that your volume button is on.

I'm assuming you're also planning on ordering the 32 pin connector as well in order to extend the cd player from the speedo?

Its a bit more involved than you think. Its definitely do-able, and i'd say it'd make it a lot easier if you have a little electrical/radio install background and aren't afraid to take a part a lot of things.

For the record when I finished the install I had a Torx 30 Screw left over.. WHOOPS. I thought there were only the 3 T30 screws at the bottom of the center stack... apparently this one goes somewhere else??

Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM
celticjamesp
1st Gear
ok many thanks for the reply ,

now for this to be sucessfull please can you send me a list of all the components i will need if possible?

and then a rough guide to what i have to do as its a little patchy and im not an expert when it comes to this :(

many thanks please help

also if somone tells me how to do it ill take pictures every step of the way and make a guide and post it on here as it will help allot of people out there

thanks again :D

Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Poderes1
2nd Gear
I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX6960 Double Din. The only issue you might have is that the head unit might stick out a little and not on par with the air conditioning switch unit and the toggle switches. Its not overly exaggerated but it looks good, not annoying at all, and overall was a clean install. This is on my R53 MCS.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 AM
celticjamesp
1st Gear
, somone please help me as i am very keen on getting started installing a double din head unit ,

I have also found this wich you may find intresting its a kit?

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...56mini_01.html

have a read :D

Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM
TiffanyLissa
Neutral
Metra makes a double din or single din dash kit for these cars already, along with a harness BMRC-01 which retains the factory chimes, etc.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 AM
celticjamesp
1st Gear
Have you got a link to the double din kit please?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
TiffanyLissa
Neutral
Originally Posted by celticjamesp
Have you got a link to the double din kit please?
http://www.metraonline.com/part/Mini...sh_kit_99-9309

Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
celticjamesp
1st Gear
Doesn't that kit remove the fairy audio though and the stereo has to stay i'n the car for the on board computer to work? Cheers

Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 PM
TiffanyLissa
Neutral
Originally Posted by celticjamesp
Doesn't that kit remove the fairy audio though and the stereo has to stay i'n the car for the on board computer to work? Cheers
The onboard computer will still work without the factory radio in it (the cluster right in front of you), the radio portion (beneath the speedo) will not.

However, you can relocate the factory radio behind the cluster and retain that screen (just don't mess with the factory radio, just turn it off so you get the time and date).

Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
celticjamesp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TiffanyLissa
The onboard computer will still work without the factory radio in it (the cluster right in front of you), the radio portion (beneath the speedo) will not.

However, you can relocate the factory radio behind the cluster and retain that screen (just don't mess with the factory radio, just turn it off so you get the time and date).
Thank you very much for this , please may you send me a list of all the products i will need to keep the factory sreen i will leave it on the time/date screen and to install a new double din head unit many thanks

this means allot

Thanks again :D

Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM
grradams
1st Gear
It worked! Thanks for all the help you guys have provided from the forum! I moved the cd player behind the speedo with a longer ribbon cable to keep the speedo's display and I added a double din pioneer deck with the metra dash kit and the axxess universal steering wheel interface which programmed itself to the mini's controls! woohoo! I added a rear view cam for good measure as well since the deck had a cable for it.

thanks again!

Last edited by grradams; 07-20-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
grradams, how much did you have to cut to get the CD players to fit back there? I'm at that point in my install and don't want to cut if I don't need to.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 PM
grradams
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Juppers
grradams, how much did you have to cut to get the CD players to fit back there? I'm at that point in my install and don't want to cut if I don't need to.
I cut the horizontal black plastic bar. It is about 7 or 8 inches I would say I cut. I'll add a picture soon!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Cut it as wide as it needs to be for the cd player to squeeze behind there. Mine basically went up to both veritcal supports essentially. Once you squeeze it behind there, the top portion of the speedo casing is a bish to screw back down because the cd player gets in the way, unless you cut the two slanted pieces at the bottom of where the cd player sits. I left these as I didn't want to reduce the strucutral integrity of the dash piece anymore, since you already cut out a huge supporting cross member. Push from the top down with some force and it'll flex into place.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 PM
grradams
1st Gear
With the help of everyone in the forums, I was able to successfully install a double din deck while retaining the original deck functions!

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Frexican
Neutral
Where do you get the ribbon cable? Is there a part number and website? And can you probide a part number for the axxess steering wheel control module? Thx.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Amazing work! Very good job!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
So the stock display in the picture showing 92.1 has nothing to do with the double din right? Also the times are independent right? Does the speed volume or the gong control still work?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Anyone done this on a 2011+ yet? I know the cd player itself is different because mine only has an eject button on it, not a **** like the 2010 and older cars.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
So the stock display in the picture showing 92.1 has nothing to do with the double din right? Also the times are independent right? Does the speed volume or the gong control still work?
Yeah, he should have turned the radio off before putting it back together, because now everytime he starts the car it will default turn on to the radio instead of just the time.

Yesterday I was trying to eliminate a rattle on the passenger side of the car while driving...ended up banging on the top of the dash and somehow my aftermarket unit just went out. Must have hit something that knocked something loose. GRRR. its going to be a PITA to get back into there.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Did you run new power, ground, and accessory power lines for the Pioneer? I'm trying to get my head around how the OEM radio is being powered as well as the aftermarket before I start ordering parts.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by grradams
With the help of everyone in the forums, I was able to successfully install a double din deck while retaining the original deck functions!

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 AM
solientious
Neutral
I know this tread is fairly old, but I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S and would really like to replace the stock head unit.

Can anybody provide me with a link to the ribbon cable so I can move the head unit?

Also is it feasible to move the head unit into the secret compartment?

Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM
mocha7
1st Gear
I recently bought '11 MCS and after reading 2 din install i started to buy my sound set up including aftermarket 2 Din radio as the car is base model on its sound system.I've read on the other thread that its PITA on newer model MCS coz the factory radio is a bit bigger and less room on the back of speedo compare to '08 older which is really true.I did cut a lot of plastic holding the speedo including the horizontal one but the good side is still holds great without rattle noise.I did also retain the original factory ribbon from radio attach to the speedo.Its currently working fine and I retain all the functionality of my stock gauge display. Cheers..