Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aftermarket Stereo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Skippman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Stereo Advice

All,

I'm a bit of a car audio enthusiast. I've owned several mid to high end systems in the past and missing having one in my current daily driver (2K8 Jeep Wrangler). Since I'm planning on getting a Mini to be my daily driver and keep the Jeep for weekends that means it's system building time!

I'm lucky to have one of the best car audio shops in the country about 10 miles from my house (JML Audio here in St. Louis) and have been talking to them about a possible system but wanted to get the input from fellow Mini owners about what's practical and what's a pipe dream.

Currently I've come up with the following list of components.

Head Unit: Kenwood KIV-BT901 w/ USB Hub
Amp: Arc Audio KS 125.4
Fronts: Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165 XL 6 1/2" Components
Subs: To Be Determined

This is what I'm starting with. The new Kenwood 901 looks to be the next killer head unit. It's a single DINN, supports the iPhone and Pandora, and has bluetooth handsfree built in. The addition of the USB hub option seals the deal as I can use both my iPhone and a USB storage device simultaneously. I've no need of a CD player.

The Arc Audio amp is an interesting little beast. It's a Class H amp putting it closer to a Class A/B amp in terms of sound quality using power closer to a Class D unit like the Alpine PDX series. It was designed by Robert Zeff of Zapco fame and by all reports is as close to an audiophile amp as you can find without going true Class A/B. Given the limited amount of room in the Mini this seems my best choice.

The Hertz speakers are, in a word, amazing. They are some of the clearest, most natural sounding speakers I've heard in years. While companies like Dyne make a better sounding product they're way outside my budget. The Hertz are clean, powerful, and well built speakers. If you've never heard of them I encourage you to seek them out for an audition. They're one of those European companies like Rainbow that unless you've heard them you might pass them over.

As for the subs... Well, that's the tricky bit isn't it. The Mini's a tiny little toy and not much room for things like subs. Currently my installer and I are considering putting 8" drivers in the factory rear locations to give me some excellent mid-bass and a little lower. I don't much care for rattling bass so having a sub that goes below 40hz doesn't really matter to me.

Thoughts?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Zombie thread revival.

It sucks that you never received a response. Did you ever install the unit?
Android or iOS? How was the BT integration?