Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2007 Double Din Install

Old 02-15-2015, 05:20 AM
mocha7
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slash32487

installed with 90% positive report

1.parking sensors not working
2.there are the holes on the dash unit because it was made for a 2010 model
3.its way too low for my eyes

i want to know if there are solutions to get my double dinn into my speedometer with a relatively easy install one where i can turn it back to stock without an issue
Just installed mine with no issues and retain the factory speedo.

2007 Double Din Install-forumrunner_20150215_081934.jpg

2007 Double Din Install-forumrunner_20150215_081945.jpg

Old 02-25-2015, 03:38 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Mocha 7,

What double din unit did you install? It looks like a pioneer. Are you able to use your iPod and view the album art and information on the screen?

How difficult was the installation?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2015, 06:37 AM
mocha7
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fastzombie
Mocha 7, What double din unit did you install? It looks like a pioneer. Are you able to use your iPod and view the album art and information on the screen? How difficult was the installation? Thanks
Sorry for the crappy pic,its a pioneer x3600bhs i got on ebay as open box item on sale,the HU was good and with your question if i use my ipod and view the songs/album etc? Yes i can view all of that when im using my classic/iphone to play. Also,the HU is already HD radio which it sounds clear and it also display the info on the screen. Regarding to the installation,this is my first mini and i guess this was a PITA compare to my previous hondas because you have to retain the factory stereo and place behind the speedo which is less room at the back especially the late 2nd gen model like my mine. Having said that,luckily i was not able to replace the ribbon at the navi which is too short but you can buy the ribbon which enables you to have more room at the back of speedo. I also bought a new speaker wire/ power cable to run onto my aftermarket comp speaker and subs. Much better to retain the factory radio so your dealer/you can still scan the car and the time display.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 PM
yashmack
1st Gear
with so many people replacing the ribbon cable, can anyone tell me if the volume control and cd portion will still power on, play any music, etc, with the ribbon cable disconnected from the display portion with the speedo? my radio stopped working and im thinking of pulling it out and reseating both ends of this cable to see if i can get it to work
The cd player will make noise when pressing the eject button but nothing else works and the display is dark

Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
I need to have a software update done so I need to install the factory radio somewhere in the mini and am hoping to have it done in the secret compartment.

After reading this thread it is clear I cannot do this myself.

Where does this 32 pin .50mm ribbon cable that I need go? All I see is the silver ribbon that attaches to the speedometer.

2007 Double Din Install-image-1705159328.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rckstrgrl21
I need to have a software update done so I need to install the factory radio somewhere in the mini and am hoping to have it done in the secret compartment. After reading this thread it is clear I cannot do this myself. Where does this 32 pin .50mm ribbon cable that I need go? All I see is the silver ribbon that attaches to the speedometer. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

2007 Double Din Install-image-1938213965.jpg

Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 PM
mocha7
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rckstrgrl21
The silver ribbon is for the speedo were the other ribbon cable which is a lil shorter is attached to the navi unit,that should be replaced with a longer cable in order to tuck your radio at the back of the speedo.

2007 Double Din Install-image-266051292.jpg

Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM
ukclubman
Neutral
Hi, Sorry to drag this up as my first post and start asking a heap of questions but I'm not getting much help in the UK!

Ok so I've got a 2008 Clubman fitted with the standard (for the UK) Radio Boost headunit.
No Steering wheel controls.
Parking sensors are fitted.

Ive got the facia adapter and a Pioneer sph a120 to go in. Planning on fitting a reverse camera and small underseat sub too.

Ok so if anyone can answer all of these in one go then in my eyes you'd be an absolute hero.

*What ribbon cable/cables are my best bet and can anyone link me to a current seller?

*For the warning chimes- Can i wire in a small speaker to say the front right channel of the old headunit and hide it under the dash to keep the chimes?

*For the Parking sensors- Can I keep the rear speakers wired up to the old headunit to keep the Parking sensors? (Plan on driving something like these up front https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...5f_p-32014.htm from the headunit and use a small sub to get some bass)

*Where is the best place to get the power from? Or is there a harness that can supply it for me?

This is really my wifes car so as many parking aids the better, hence cameras and sensors! Not worried about losing the rear speakers if my plan would work. Not aiming for the ultimate in volume or quality, anythings gotta be better.

Thanks in advance.
Alex

Old 07-30-2015, 02:32 PM
ukclubman
Neutral
Originally Posted by ukclubman
Hi, Sorry to drag this up as my first post and start asking a heap of questions but I'm not getting much help in the UK!

Ok so I've got a 2008 Clubman fitted with the standard (for the UK) Radio Boost headunit.
No Steering wheel controls.
Parking sensors are fitted.

Ive got the facia adapter and a Pioneer sph a120 to go in. Planning on fitting a reverse camera and small underseat sub too.

Ok so if anyone can answer all of these in one go then in my eyes you'd be an absolute hero.

*What ribbon cable/cables are my best bet and can anyone link me to a current seller?

*For the warning chimes- Can i wire in a small speaker to say the front right channel of the old headunit and hide it under the dash to keep the chimes?

*For the Parking sensors- Can I keep the rear speakers wired up to the old headunit to keep the Parking sensors? (Plan on driving something like these up front https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...5f_p-32014.htm from the headunit and use a small sub to get some bass)

*Where is the best place to get the power from? Or is there a harness that can supply it for me?

This is really my wifes car so as many parking aids the better, hence cameras and sensors! Not worried about losing the rear speakers if my plan would work. Not aiming for the ultimate in volume or quality, anythings gotta be better.

Thanks in advance.
Alex
Anybody? Would really appreciate some help.
Just need to order the appropriate cables now.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 PM
HvNd4Speed
Neutral
I ordered the Metra dash kit for my 2008 clubman, oh man, the troubles.

Well the dash kit is great, built well but no where in the instructions did it say after you install your DD stereo to it that you can't just slide it into place. The issue is this, the factory radio is attached to the internal housing/mounting. So when the OEM dash console pops out, it is without a stereo attached to it. With the kit, the DD stereo is attached to the kit. There is NO way you can turn, push, shove that unit back in without (what i have to take apart tonight) removing the lower center console where the sport button, lighter and gear shifter is in. That has to be removed in order for this dash kit to be installed without breaking it.

Wish me luck. GRRRR!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 PM
80mgbdave
Neutral
I have an 07 MCS, my stock radio died, so I'm planning to install a 2din unit, but after chatting with somone on Crutchfield.com, I'm worried about bypassing the existing amp mounted in the rear quarter panel. Is there a way to do a more plug and play install using just the wiring behind the dash? The Crutchfield guy said that new wire would have to be run to the speakers. Does the old amp have to be bypassed?

Old 05-27-2017, 11:09 PM
m3gunner
Neutral
Hi there,

I was able to find cables and adapters on https://www.aliexpress.com

Still waiting on the actual cables, but I got the adapters and they look good.

Adapters: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32-P...630152966.html

Cables (I ordered the 400 mm version): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...363416359.html

I'll post up a build thread in the Audio/Nav section when I start my build...

Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 PM
SRhudy
1st Gear
Pics?

The pictures are no longer showing up and am extremely interested in this. Possibility of reposting? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2020, 03:21 AM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Double din

[QUOTE=GTECKO;3477092]Yes I have read it and please enlighten me with where you have got your information from as I have tried and look on how to "switch it off" and came up empty ?

Anyway, I am glad to say that I am done with this install ... Went back to the shop and literally work with the guy on the car. His excuse was that when he was looking for a power cable, since my lights were on and he tested the source for the wires,he basically connected it to the lighting cables ...
So we took the dash apart (again round 2) and I must that that it can be done within 15 to 20 min.
The hardest part for me was the screws in the vent over the speedometer...what a pain,especially to put them back in afterwards.
Best DIY video were found on youtube, his Mini was destroyed so he did two video on how to take the dash apart.
and
Very interesting to actually watch,rather than pictures or a written step by step.

As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the 32pin cable and it was wrong ...
So anyone who has a 09 MCS, don't get it ... you need to 40pin (ordered from buddy in Thailand, he made me pay shipping only since I had purchased the wrong one) I can sell the 32pin if anyone want.
So when I receive this, round 3 ,maybe, I ll put it back in for the LCD to show up.

As far as the dealer told me, the only thing you will miss, is the LCD and its interaction, it will not make your car go angry as someone mentioned in the beginning of this thread. (Now this is what the dealer told ME for MY car, I can't vouch for any other year or model)

For the steering wheel control adaptor if you bought the same one as I did, be careful...the manuel is wrong. I had to call them to found out they only update their paper manuel every 4 years. Anyway, you must use for a MCS the Pin#11 to the car that would go to PIN cable 1 to the ASWC, and PIN 9 to the car,going to Pin 7 cable to the ASWC,nothing else, no PIN 8 or brown cable as mentioned in the stupid manuel.
Of course, plug your power and ground. To be honest, less than a minute to make it worked. So happy I have this on.

Wired the camera, however I bought the wrong one from Ebay and made a mistake. Therefore Im gonna upgrade to a little more expensive one If anyone wants it, I have the camera with a wireless module to sell

Putting everything back in was a bit of a B$*ch, too many cables, camera,iPod,aux, switches for video,double din own cables...its tough to snug everything and have the mettra go in easily. Push it in, hold and put the screws on. We removed the centre console,just unscrew it and moved it to backwards, as we tapd the power to the accessory cigaret charger,and it made it much easier to manoeuvre with the Metra kit.

I used electrical tape on every cable connector at the back. First time we put it in, lost the yellow video connector for the iPod...seems like when we pushed the deck in, it got disconnected.

I can't tell ppl what wires go where, as every aftermarket unit is different. However my manuel was pretty clear. I paid someone to help me do the wiring as I didn't know what to do really, I just wanted the wiring to be done correctly more than anything else, if you know electrical a bit, you are good to go.
I will probably take apart the dash as the part where the glove compartment opening button is, is not put on totally straight.
If you know anything about wiring to power and what cable goes where,this install is actually not bad, looks depressing when the car is apart though

I have two bad pictures, I ll get some in the daylight tomorrow.
Big thanks on everyone who contributed whether trough PM or on this thread.

Attachment 59098

Attachment 59097[/QUOTE There's a lot of good information in your thread, I'm just sorry that you was having such a hard time doing this whole
radio install. There's one good thing that comes from all this is everyone can learn from everybody who has done this before them and their mistakes and possibly order the correct parts.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:17 AM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
I finally got my new double din Kenwood apple play unit, metra radio fascia, axxess universal chime unit
axxess universal steering wheel control, antenna lead. Now I just have to get the correct ribbon size and lengths.