Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
tim155
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Useless? What functionally is missing that you can't live without?

The connected app works just fine with the iPhone, and so does audio...

Well, I can't get the steering wheel button to change songs anymore, the phone won't pair anymore, and I can event get the right song to play from my iphone.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brainke
I am not sure why people are having problems.
Love my Mini Connected. Picked up my 2013 Mini Cooper in September.
Iphone 5S works great
Me too. I'm using my iPhone 5S and just a regular lightning cable into the USB and everything seems to still be working. Pandora, Connected apps, iPod, radio controls, I haven't found anything that doesn't work

Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 PM
tim155
1st Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp
Me too. I'm using my iPhone 5S and just a regular lightning cable into the USB and everything seems to still be working. Pandora, Connected apps, iPod, radio controls, I haven't found anything that doesn't work
And your running OS 7?

Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tim155
Well, I can't get the steering wheel button to change songs anymore, the phone won't pair anymore, and I can event get the right song to play from my iphone.
Take your MINI in and get it looked at. Something else is going on there - an update to MINI Connected won't fix your issues...

Just the fact that your phone won't pair leads me to believe that something else is going on with your system...

Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tim155
And your running OS 7?
Yes, the iPhone 5S only runs iOS7. I haven't tried using a 30pin adapter and the Mini Y cable. It seemed to me that my iPhone 4S wasn't using the analog 1/8" in the Y anyways for anything.

Everything has been working with aftermarket, uncertified lightning cables too.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Andrew Urbanek
Neutral
Wasn't sure if I should add to this thread, or to bump an old Android one, but I was wondering if anyone has successfully used the Connected app for Android?

I've got a Galaxy S4, a brand new Mini with all the bells and whistles, and when I go to the Connected page of the car's system, and turn on the connected app on my phone, and connect through a USB cable, the car does not detect the phone (the phone is getting power through the USB, though).

So, yeah, what might I be doing wrong? Took it to the dealer, and he was baffled as well, but chalked it up to him having little to no experience with Android.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM
TheRocketPig
1st Gear
I've been looking for an answer to this question and can't find anything helpful, hopefully someone knows how to help me.

I would like to connect via cable (Lightning) and NOT use the Mini Connected mode in apps like Audible/Amazon Music. I opted out of getting navigation because I'm accustomed to using my phone for navigation. The only problem I see is that whenever I exit say Audible and go into navigation (or lock the phone), it stops my music.

Funny thing is, when I picked up the car, it was working how I wanted it. I could put the phone in lock mode (my 5s gets really warm if the screen is on too long). It would still display album artwork, and allow me to change tracks, navigation, etc. without issue. The next time I connected it, every app was pushed into it's "Connected" mode. locking me out of my phone.

So basically my question is, can we disable the "connected" side of the apps without resorting to bluetooth?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
cactusjk
4th Gear
Anyone feedback on the new Gopro app?

Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheRocketPig
I've been looking for an answer to this question and can't find anything helpful, hopefully someone knows how to help me.

I would like to connect via cable (Lightning) and NOT use the Mini Connected mode in apps like Audible/Amazon Music. I opted out of getting navigation because I'm accustomed to using my phone for navigation. The only problem I see is that whenever I exit say Audible and go into navigation (or lock the phone), it stops my music.

Funny thing is, when I picked up the car, it was working how I wanted it. I could put the phone in lock mode (my 5s gets really warm if the screen is on too long). It would still display album artwork, and allow me to change tracks, navigation, etc. without issue. The next time I connected it, every app was pushed into it's "Connected" mode. locking me out of my phone.

So basically my question is, can we disable the "connected" side of the apps without resorting to bluetooth?
My phone never goes into a mode where I can't use it unless I launch the MINI Connected app. It's actually something I'm a bit disappointed about. - If you close the MINI Connected app to use another app on the phone, like nav or another music app, the phone actually disconnects from MINI Connected completely. The phone works normally (audio out etc) but the Connected functionality doesn't work unless the app is working.

It's not a huge issue because the Connected functionality is so limited, but it's bit annoying...

Old 07-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Jeffwine1
Neutral
I just bought a countryman 2014 with mini connected. The car did not have a 30 pin plug In The car. The sales guy grabbed one from inside the store. I bought the longer lighting to 30 pin adapter. It shows "no compatible plugin connected. The mini apps work, the iPod feature through the mini connect does not work.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:57 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeffwine1
I just bought a countryman 2014 with mini connected. The car did not have a 30 pin plug In The car. The sales guy grabbed one from inside the store. I bought the longer lighting to 30 pin adapter. It shows "no compatible plugin connected. The mini apps work, the iPod feature through the mini connect does not work.
Yup... That functionality isn't compatible with the iPhone 5 or 5S because the Lightning standard doesn't support it...

Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 AM
UticaProf
1st Gear
I've noticed that when I negotiate to an external app like Pandora through the Connected "more apps" function, I seem to get stuck in that app unless I physically close it and reopen the Connected app again. In other words, I can't switch back to the Connected app through the control ****. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Brainke
Neutral
Rhapsody is a great replacement for MOG

I was a huge fan of MOG and its usability while driving with mini connected.
Very sad that Beats bought them out and we lost it.
So,, Beats is beat, doesnt work.
Love Spotify, but doesnt work in our cars with mini connected.
Really happy I finally found Rhapsody.
You can try it 30 days for free, but you have to search for that link.
I think the playlists and unradio are really good.
I just wish mission control would work in the background.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok so I noticed today that spotify now works with mini connected. I'm not sure if spotify snuck that into their app (the release notes say "bug fixes"), but when I opened it today it shows a mini logo, and is fully integrated into mini connected.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:06 AM
Brainke
Neutral
Hello SPOTIFY!!!!

Yeah,, after all of my bitching about losing MOG, finding Rhapsody, now Spotify rears its beautiful app!
I will test it out!
I am happy, two good Music streaming alternatives.

Spotify on the computer definitely beats Rhapsody, ill see how it works in Mini Connected.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 AM
webxfx
Neutral
Not sure if I'm losing my mine here, new owner.... got a R60 and using cable# 61122287505 (lighting media) with a iphone 5c - all firmwares up to date.

The Connected apps will sometimes load, and when loaded - sometimes "hang" where you have to unplug the phone and start all over again.

I've been reading the older 30pin adapter is the better option - anyone else have good luck with the new lighting cables?

Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
UCProf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by webxfx
Not sure if I'm losing my mine here, new owner.... got a R60 and using cable# 61122287505 (lighting media) with a iphone 5c - all firmwares up to date.

The Connected apps will sometimes load, and when loaded - sometimes "hang" where you have to unplug the phone and start all over again.

I've been reading the older 30pin adapter is the better option - anyone else have good luck with the new lighting cables?
I recently went from an iPhone 4 to iphone 6 with my 2013 MCS with connected. I also bought the Lightning media cable #61122287505. I have the same issues with connected apps hanging while loading. I'm thinking of trying my original 30 pin cable with the apple 30 pin to lightning adaptor to see if that will work.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UCProf
I recently went from an iPhone 4 to iphone 6 with my 2013 MCS with connected. I also bought the Lightning media cable #61122287505. I have the same issues with connected apps hanging while loading. I'm thinking of trying my original 30 pin cable with the apple 30 pin to lightning adaptor to see if that will work.
Are you having any issues with sound distorting? I have the iPhone 6 with the Lightning Y cable and the sound is very muddy in the lows and staticky in the highs. If I connect via Bluetooth or the aux port from the headphone jack everything sounds fine.

I already had the dealer give me a new cable and that didn't help.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
UCProf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Are you having any issues with sound distorting? I have the iPhone 6 with the Lightning Y cable and the sound is very muddy in the lows and staticky in the highs. If I connect via Bluetooth or the aux port from the headphone jack everything sounds fine.

I already had the dealer give me a new cable and that didn't help.
The sound through the cable is okay, BT sound is okay too.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Agito
1st Gear
Purchased the Mini Connected Cradle for the iPhone 5s on Friday at around 2 pm and returned it at 3;30 the same day. After spending $290.00 and hour and a half of trying to make it work, I decided to either brake it into pieces if i could get it back out of the armrest for the 100th time without a battle, or return it. I really wanted it to work and connect my phone to the car as if they could become one , and join in a never ending affair . But it was only a dream . I will continue to use my media cable and be disappointed that such an exspensive and cool looking item will not function as it should. Am I inpatient and should have tried harder or am I not alone ?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
What did (or didn't) the cradle do? Plus being a MINI accessory did you have the dealer look at it? What did they say?

Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Agito
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
What did (or didn't) the cradle do? Plus being a MINI accessory did you have the dealer look at it? What did they say?
Yes I did have the parts manager help, it continued to state device not supported or reconized. It would show mini connected apps. And was able to run music , pandora etc. I ordered the latest version media one. It did nothing more then the media cable does...

Old 02-26-2015, 10:08 AM
tiffanyann7
Neutral
Connected Problems

I've been having issues with Mini Connected in my 2015 Countryman since about the second month. I have problems selecting and controlling the music from the car. If I pick up the phone and chose songs and navigate from the phone that will get music to play, (though often won't show the album cover art). Any attempts to select or change a song from the joystick or steering wheel thereafter will just stop the music and show Unknown on the display. It used to be that if I reset my phone it would work for a while from the Mini, but that doesn't even seem to do the trick anymore.

In December I got an iPhone 6 and switched carriers and having the same problem (so I know it's not my phone) but now, additionally, I can't get the online search functions to work. When trying to pull up a destination from my calendar, it says "online search is currently unavailable." I have cellular data enabled for the app and it worked fine with my iPhone 5, so I don't know what is going on.

Has anyone had similar issues or have any ideas what is going on or how I can fix it? I knew the more technology I have in my car the more changes for something to go wrong, but it's getting to where the Mini Connected is practically useless. I thought maybe the new connection problem has to do with the iphone 6, but I haven't seen any other complaints along those lines.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM
webxfx
Neutral
Originally Posted by UCProf

is the 30pin cable and adapter any better?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM
UCProf
1st Gear
I updated the software and now my iPhone 6 works reasonably well. It takes awhile for the connected programs to boot up but they usually do after 5 minutes. It is very important that the aux plug is fully seated into the connector hole.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread