Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
REALLY MINI!!! this would make me want to break my car
It's definitely NOT for everyone. It's not even my cup of tea really. However the novelty is somewhat fun especially when showing the car off to certain types of people. My in-laws loved it and thought it was hilarious. Some of my car buddies would probably think its funny (in the wrongest way possible).

I've tried out the MINImalism setting and the urban setting. In the MINImalism setting I can't seem to Granny-fy my driving style enough to appease the voices. It is quite literally worse than having my wife in the passenger seat. The caveat to this is, with Mission control turned on my wife now has a smile on her face because someone is doing the backseat driving for her--she finds it quite pleasurable.

I haven't really tried the urban setting yet--presumably this one is designed to encourage spirited driving. This may be more to my liking.

All said though, this feature probably will be intentionally unused as I prefer not to have people talking over my music.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggripper is spot on IMHO.

Also, Mission Control doesn't seem to know about convertibles. It praised me for lowering the windows (rather than turning on the AC I suppose) but considering that the top was already down the comment seemed off.

Mission Control doesn't seem to react to the Sport button either (at least it hasn't for me as of yet).

As for MINI requiring owners to purchase the snap in adapter in order to use all the MINI Connected features -- the cynic in me sees this as a way to increase revenue via the parts department. Rather sad money grab if that's true.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mysticeti
Biggripper is spot on IMHO.

Also, Mission Control doesn't seem to know about convertibles. It praised me for lowering the windows (rather than turning on the AC I suppose) but considering that the top was already down the comment seemed off.

Mission Control doesn't seem to react to the Sport button either (at least it hasn't for me as of yet).

As for MINI requiring owners to purchase the snap in adapter in order to use all the MINI Connected features -- the cynic in me sees this as a way to increase revenue via the parts department. Rather sad money grab if that's true.
Mission control recognized when I closed the roof on m R57.... Said something like bye-bye blue sky. I haven't used the minimalism theme much. The urban one is pretty cool. Spouts mini facts every so often. About every 50 miles (long drive today) engine talked about fuel remaining, etc. I'm sure it will get old.

And what is all this about a snap in adapter? All I have is the y-cable which came with my car and everything works fine, as I outlined in my list above. Music, video, all connected features. Also, I saw some posts about a missing clock. My clock disappears for about 5 seconds whenever I change apps or channels within mini connected, but it comes back.

I'm wondering if they have already made some hardware changes? Mine was built just before Xmas 2010, and delivered in min January.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 PM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
Here is what is SUPPOSED to be working...

Sorry to hear that so many of you are having troubles. Kinda surprising seeing I have one of the very FIRST '11's with Mini Connected. I received my R57 in early January... Everything works fine, no adapter needed (that is just plain BS to have to buy a $200 adapter ). Y-cable seems to work fine on mine.

I have posted a bunch of photos I just took tonight. If you'd like to see any more, just let me know what you'd like to see. Maybe I'll do a video this week and post to YouTube. (kinda find the time though).

http://gallery.me.com/michaeljsteele...lack&view=grid

My big gripe is with their "Office Online" or whatever the heck they call it. I would like to have my calendar, contacts with photos and most of all, TEXT messages on the screen. iPhone is NOT YET SUPPORTED for any of this. Safety-wise, that is THE BIGGEST reason I bought Mini Connected (I commute from Raleigh to D.C. 2-3 times per month! Lot's of car time).

Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
mkaiserco
1st Gear
Snap-in Adapter?

My MINI was built in December 2010 and delivered in February 2011.

While I'm using the supplied Y-cable and iPhone 4 with no problem, I really want to get the snap-in adapter. But my dealer tells me it is still (here we are in May) not available, so I'm stuck with the cable.

What's the deal with this adapter? I know there was/is a great deal of confusion about which adapter is required for the iPhone 4 and MINI Connected, is it true that it's not yet here?

Mike

Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
I've read a few threads on this and it appears they are beginning to show up in dealer inventories (or in local distribution centers).

I'm curious as to why you want the adapter for $160-$200? I am thinking by putting the phone in the armrest, I'll have limited/no access to the phone and can't see any in-coming text messages. Which is why I want the Mobile Office supported.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
mkaiserco
1st Gear
Snap-in Adapter?

A few years ago, our daughter drove her car into the back of a parked police car (with officer inside) at 50 mph, while texting. The officer recovered, but the experience left our family with a strong disdain for those who text and drive. Please give some thought to this.

So that's my way of saying my use of MINI Connected doesn't require me to access the phone while driving.

Also, my understanding is the adapter includes a cellular antenna connection, improving the data reception.

But when forced to explain why I want the adapter, I realize my arguments are weak. I think I want it because MINI made me buy the armrest. I might as well get SOME use out of it.

Mike

Originally Posted by mjsteelega
I'm curious as to why you want the adapter for $160-$200? I am thinking by putting the phone in the armrest, I'll have limited/no access to the phone and can't see any in-coming text messages. Which is why I want the Mobile Office supported.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
My R55 built 11/10 and in my hands dec 22. I have connected.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM
drivethruecp
Neutral
Sorry to hear that so many of you are having troubles. Kinda surprising seeing I have one of the very FIRST '11's with Mini Connected. I received my R57 in early January... Everything works fine, no adapter needed (that is just plain BS to have to buy a $200 adapter ). Y-cable seems to work fine on mine.

I have posted a bunch of photos I just took tonight. If you'd like to see any more, just let me know what you'd like to see. Maybe I'll do a video this week and post to YouTube. (kinda find the time though).

http://gallery.me.com/michaeljsteele...lack&view=grid

My big gripe is with their "Office Online" or whatever the heck they call it. I would like to have my calendar, contacts with photos and most of all, TEXT messages on the screen. iPhone is NOT YET SUPPORTED for any of this. Safety-wise, that is THE BIGGEST reason I bought Mini Connected (I commute from Raleigh to D.C. 2-3 times per month! Lot's of car time).
Thank you for all of the pictures!! Is that cupholder you have the iPhone in optional? What's it called if so..didn't see it in the accessories.. Second, did you get the optional H/K stereo upgrade? My build currently has Mini Connect (NO nav) and stock stereo because I want to put my own Focal's in, although I worry about the headunit not having amp pre-outs.

The way I looked at it, having ALWAYS doing SERIOUS stereo upgrades in all my vehicles and always trying to buy the best possible iphone UI integration at the time, that in order to use the steering wheel controls I need to stick with the stock stereo. Ok, so theres a $500 upgrade for the bluetooth. Which means I need to keep the stock. Might as well pony up the extra $500 and get the connected. Ah hell, I just got the Conv Package + Connected. Dang package discounts make me want them all. But it adds up quick!!

I'd LOVE to have the phone in my arm rest which prevents me from texting (I'm trying to quit I promise and have been decreasing rapidly) but cool if the texts could thread up on screen and would have to pull over to reply. EVEN BETTER, an automatic reply that "I'm driving in my Mini, I'll text you back once I stop or call me on bluetooth" This would be easy to implement? The Droid (although not a fan) has a magnet in it so that it has a car mode that can automatically send a text that your driving. When you connect the phone to the Connect system it could enable it.. Hopefully they keep pushing the envelope being able to update via the App store with this endless system! Please let me push my Nav app to it as well Nothing can replace my iPhone Navigon. Having a data connection that is constantly up to date Navigation is something no car unit can do.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
rimtnbiker
2nd Gear
iPad?

Will an iPad work with Mini Connected. I don't have an iPhone yet and my daughter took my Verizon upgrade

Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Mini Pel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chrisfowler99
Told me I needed the snap-in for Mission Control and the Minimalism Analyzer...

Gotta figure out what model I need for the iPhone 4.
i am using the Y adapter cable with the iPhone 4
everything works ok

the only thing that anoys me is that the minamlizer/connected stops if you make/receive a call.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 AM
drivethruecp
Neutral
How about playing music using the "Plug-In" and also using a navigation app on the phone? Can it not be done since the Connected app has to be running in the foreground?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 AM
drivethruecp
Neutral
BAD NEWS for MINI Connected. Just got a call from my dealer and it is no longer available due to the Japan tsunami with no date if it will be. So my car has no production date and have to decide what I want to do :( idk if I want to buy a new one without!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Mini Pel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by drivethruecp
How about playing music using the "Plug-In" and also using a navigation app on the phone? Can it not be done since the Connected app has to be running in the foreground?
i dont think that will work due to what i said happens with phone calls

i dont think any other app working with conneted is possible

using iphone to play music through usb Y-cable (CD/Multimedia menu) and using a sat nav app i think is possible (i've just checked. although i was not moving app navfree worked with music playing)

Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
JTreehorn
Neutral
I just heard the same thing today from my dealer. They did say if we wanted to add the $750 Nav option to Mini Connected they could do that. Just no Mini Connected only. Have to decide what to do.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
I wish we could get a real answer. Some people say that if they get the nav they can get Mini connected. My MA said no Mini connect period. My car was ordered with the Nav and they told me I probably will not get it. I told them that I do not want the car with out it. They said I could wait till 2012 to get it.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
hoyme
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JTreehorn
I just heard the same thing today from my dealer. They did say if we wanted to add the $750 Nav option to Mini Connected they could do that. Just no Mini Connected only. Have to decide what to do.
Interesting. There is certainly conflicting data on NAM whether this covers any MINI Connected product (Nav and non-Nav) or just the non-NAV. There are people here who have been called by their MA about problems when they have ordered the Nav option. I wonder if the memo sent out was hard for them to understand??

However, the fact that they added MINI Connected plus Nav to this month's incentive list, and removed the Automatic transmission seems in line with what your dealer is telling you. They may have put the Nav option on incentive to ease the pain of being forced to order it. Perhaps the likelihood of having that option on the June incentives is higher???

Your call, but you might get the whole $1750 MINI Connected plus Nav option as an incentive.

I am certainly hoping, as I have that option on my MINI sitting on the dock in Southampton, which likely won't get here until early June. But I certainly don't get why some here are getting calls that there is a problem when they already ordered the Nav option, and folks like you are getting calls that you need to add the Nav option. MINI has really confused their dealers with the instructions on this supply issue.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM
ndstebs
Neutral
When I first ordered my MC on 4/20, I just wanted Connected with no Nav but my dealer said the system wouldn't allow me to get it w/o the Navigation. So there may be some truth in the Connected-only option having problems. In the end, he gave me the Nav free of charge, but my car still has not gone into production. I thought about removing the option if I wouldn't get may car until the fall, but my MA said it should go into production in June. Let's hope he's right; there's a lot of conflicting reports.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Mission control recognized when I closed the roof on m R57.... Said something like bye-bye blue sky. I haven't used the minimalism theme much. The urban one is pretty cool. Spouts mini facts every so often. About every 50 miles (long drive today) engine talked about fuel remaining, etc. I'm sure it will get old.

And what is all this about a snap in adapter? All I have is the y-cable which came with my car and everything works fine, as I outlined in my list above. Music, video, all connected features. Also, I saw some posts about a missing clock. My clock disappears for about 5 seconds whenever I change apps or channels within mini connected, but it comes back.

I'm wondering if they have already made some hardware changes? Mine was built just before Xmas 2010, and delivered in min January.
You're right of course. It appears the difference (as you noted) is which theme one uses. I was using the Minimalism theme at the time. I've since played around with the Urban theme and it defintely responds to both the top coming down and the sport button.

I agree that it will get old/repititious eventually but they do try to keep it fresh by noting the time of day (they say good morning appropriately), how long you've been gone ("back so soon"), etc. I do like it when the engine informs me that it's warmed up.

When I try to imagine the voice actors going through their lines part of me thinks they must have felt a little rediculous. "Engine here, I'm warmed up now." OK... and this is for adults?

I wish there was an option to have the NAV system use the same voice as "Coach".

Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Jaimuncho
1st Gear
hi!
i have a 2011 JCW with the big display screen, i'm from Chile south america and this come with out the nav, i have office, bt option and mini conected were just appers contac dealer, hotline and another number and that's it. i can use the ipod and iphone 4 just with the apple white cable direct in the usb input, this charge all the song, playlist and pictures of the albums.
i found the connected option a few days a go here so i install the app on my phone but nothing happened. i need another special cable?

thanks for your answers

Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 AM
mjsteelega
1st Gear
If you read earlier posts in this thread, I believe care manufactured after March 2011 need a special "cradle" to connect the phone and that the simple Y-cable no longer works. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this for me real quick. If you have Connected + Nav, is it possible to connect your iPod (iPod classic) up through the glovebox?

Thanks

Old 05-19-2011, 09:01 PM
hoyme
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SoCalledFriend
Maybe someone can answer this for me real quick. If you have Connected + Nav, is it possible to connect your iPod (iPod classic) up through the glovebox?

Thanks
Don't have mine to play with yet, but my understanding is the USB port in the glove box is for updating the nav system only. Doesn't work with an iPod, flash drive or other device.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hoyme
Don't have mine to play with yet, but my understanding is the USB port in the glove box is for updating the nav system only. Doesn't work with an iPod, flash drive or other device.
Do you know how many locations the Y-connector plugs in to? Is it only up front under the console or is there one under the armrest as well?

Old 05-20-2011, 03:47 AM
rimtnbiker
2nd Gear
I don't know about plug in locations, but the iPod must have at least IOS 3.0 to populate the artist, album,playlist, etc functions. If the IOS is lower, it will only work like any other mp3 player plugged into an aux port

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread