Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnewham
.. I'm still trying to find out if the mini connected can be retro fitted, nobody seems to know!

Grrr!
i doubt it if so its probably highly expensive but dont take my word on it.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:14 AM
mjnewham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
i doubt it if so its probably highly expensive but dont take my word on it.
I have the theory that if you have either the SatNav or the Visual Boost there is nothing else you really need simply the software which needs to be installed or enabled.

I know visual boost can talk, listen & understand and read text. It can also talk with the iPhone extract information such as tracks, cover art, video phone contacts.. what else hardware wise would mini connected require?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I have the theory that if you have either the SatNav or the Visual Boost there is nothing else you really need simply the software which needs to be installed or enabled.

I know visual boost can talk, listen & understand and read text. It can also talk with the iPhone extract information such as tracks, cover art, video phone contacts.. what else hardware wise would mini connected require?
You would need to replace it all.. The 2011 has all new hardware

Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 AM
mjnewham
1st Gear
You would need to replace it all.. The 2011 has all new hardware
.. the mini is a 2010, if they are changing its still not a problem - they are obliged to maintain stock and support existing parts/stock levels for a minimum of 5yrs by law.

As I mentioned, we know that connected works with either Visual Boost or SatNav - and I still believe this is only an software install or a requirement to enable the feature, no additional hardware is required as its already within either VB or SatNav.

IMO

Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
didnt mini come out for the 2011's only?? your saying by law they have to be able to fit it on a 2010??

Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 AM
mjnewham
1st Gear
didnt mini come out for the 2011's only?? your saying by law they have to be able to fit it on a 2010??
.. first sight of mini connected was late 2010, I have a ex-demo JCW (Sept 2010) and I know the guy who spec'd it (at the dealer) and he didn't include the option because he saw little value/interest in it, so I know it was originally avaliable for my car.

.. I'm saying that you should be able to retro-fit a software option that is supported by the existing incar equipment.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
.. first sight of mini connected was late 2010, I have a ex-demo JCW (Sept 2010) and I know the guy who spec'd it (at the dealer) and he didn't include the option because he saw little value/interest in it, so I know it was originally avaliable for my car.

.. I'm saying that you should be able to retro-fit a software option that is supported by the existing incar equipment.
have you called your dealer and asked. if it was available for your vehicle then you should deff be able to do it?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM
mjnewham
1st Gear
You can retro-fit Mini Connected.

I've just found this at the http://www.mini.com/connectivity/ website on the Mini Connected FAQ's (under General)

<LI class=subtopic jQuery1300203875596="6">Can I retrofit MINI Connected on my MINI?
MINI Connected can be retrofitted (2010 model update MINI and MINI Countryman only) beginning Q1/2011 if a Radio MINI Visual Boost or a MINI Navigation system is part of the car already. MINI Connected is available in most MINI markets. Please contact your dealer for further information if MINI Connected is available in your market and what feature set is available in your market.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I've just found this at the http://www.mini.com/connectivity/ website on the Mini Connected FAQ's (under General)

<LI class=subtopic jQuery1300203875596="6">Can I retrofit MINI Connected on my MINI?
MINI Connected can be retrofitted (2010 model update MINI and MINI Countryman only) beginning Q1/2011 if a Radio MINI Visual Boost or a MINI Navigation system is part of the car already. MINI Connected is available in most MINI markets. Please contact your dealer for further information if MINI Connected is available in your market and what feature set is available in your market.
so have you contacted your dealer yet? thats awesome

Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 AM
mjnewham
1st Gear
so have you contacted your dealer yet? thats awesome
They're talking with their techie'

Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
That's gonna look sick if it happens

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
mjnewham
1st Gear
That's gonna look sick if it happens
Yeah. I expect it will be a couple of days before I hear anything.

mart.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cosmic Blue Conspiracy
Two issues: The music interface continues to baffle. If you play the iPhone though the Connected plug-in, there is no place to view a clock in the entire car! If you are not careful, you then switch to the USB connection way of playing the iPod.
You're not alone on that: When using Connected to play music I also find the lack of a clock annoying.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM
asindc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mysticeti
You're not alone on that: When using Connected to play music I also find the lack of a clock annoying.
Maybe a software upgrade could add it?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by asindc
Maybe a software upgrade could add it?
I'm sure. It's probably just a SMOP.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a bunch of typing!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
It may seem silly, but the clock thing is the singular reason that I find myself not using the MINI connected features at all.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Cosmic Blue Conspiracy
2nd Gear
It's not silly, but I agree with you. When you use Connected, you get an easier ability to navigate your iPod, especially with podcasts. But no clock. When you use as a USB connection, you have that weird searching interface that is not intuitive. Every function has a different way of navigating which is annoying. The buttons do different things depending on which mode you are in. For example, the right button backs you to a higher level when in Connected, but sometimes flips you to phone. Pushing the joystick left sometimes works but in connected, it starts the track over, which sucks for a podcast. The whole interface is so annoying.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cosmic Blue Conspiracy
It's not silly, but I agree with you. When you use Connected, you get an easier ability to navigate your iPod, especially with podcasts. But no clock. When you use as a USB connection, you have that weird searching interface that is not intuitive. Every function has a different way of navigating which is annoying. The buttons do different things depending on which mode you are in. For example, the right button backs you to a higher level when in Connected, but sometimes flips you to phone. Pushing the joystick left sometimes works but in connected, it starts the track over, which sucks for a podcast. The whole interface is so annoying.
they are still in the testing phase. it is the first year out. we'll get a update dont worry be patient. at least you have your car right now lol

Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
"don't worry be patient" is a tad too pollyanna-ish for my taste. I'm hopeful that MINI will deliver regular/useful updates to Connected but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mysticeti
"don't worry be patient" is a tad too pollyanna-ish for my taste. I'm hopeful that MINI will deliver regular/useful updates to Connected but I'm not holding my breath.
how bout if they dont then in 2 months time we get every person on this thread that has a mini connect to send them a email.. and then see what we come u[ with maybe some free stuff

Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I don't have one, just reading about it. I take it this isn't a touchscreen. They should upgrade to that. The sleeve in the armrest is still pretty much a $100 charger is what I get. Nothing different than the 07. How is the POI searching feature (for restaurants and stores)? That used to be horrible (right Birdman lol). I hope they improve it next year is all I can say.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beside the time, what about date? there's no place to read the date!! :(

Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
mjnewham
1st Gear
Today I had a response from MINI UK today...

---
Thank you for your continued patience whilst I have been awaiting clarification from our Product Marketing Team.

I can confirm that it is possible to retrofit MINI Connected to any vehicle with option 606 or 6FP produced since August 2010 which has been recently confirmed for the UK in March.

Our Product Marketing Team recommend that you contact your local MINI Approved Dealership who will be able to confirm the cost of retrofitting this option.

I trust that this information clarifies the situation, however, should you require any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

MINI UK
---

.. I've asked them for the option/part number so the dealers can find the part.. I'll let you know.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
ChadwickS
1st Gear
Bluetooth Audio

So I finally figured out how to stream music from my iPhone 4g via blue tooth. Awesome right?
No not really.
Once you plug it back in using the Y cable it tells you that you can only have the phone connected via blue tooth or the Y cable so I had to disable it. So the blue tooth audio connection is completely worthless.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Official MINI Connected Thread