Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Mystery Beep through Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
amymhere
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this happening to my mini as well. It happened twice on a twelve hour trip I just got back from. This noise is super loud. It is not like any warning noise. It is blood curling ear piercing. It absolutely makes you want to jump out of your skin. In fact it is so loud it made my left ear pop! If anyone has any clue about this or if it happens to you will you post?

My Mini is a 05 mini base.

thanks!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM
findude
4th Gear
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. It's happened three times since we bought our '06 MCS new in the fall of 2005.

Once with the iPod, once with the radio. Can't remember the other time.

It is REALLY LOUD! I practically jumped out of my skin. It lasts about a second, then the audio system went completely silent for about another second, then it started up again at the previous volume as if nothing had ever happened.

Other threads have suggested it means the HK amp is going out ($$$). I kind of doubt this as I think the three times I've heard it have been pretty much evenly distributed over the last 7.5 years. The audio system is on pretty much 100% of the time the car is being driven. The iPod adapter was installed new, and we have no bluetooth set up (though we do have the buttons on the steering wheel).

Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could be a DSP crash in the H/K. Set the tone to disable all the audio adjustments. Usually this is called Line Straight or similar.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM
boognish
4th Gear
This JUST happened to my '06 MCS automatic with the H/K stereo! I was driving along, minding my own business, listening to the radio when all of the sudden BEEP! so loud it nearly blew my socks off! It was a high-pitched beep, maybe 1/2 second in duration. Then the radio just went back to normal. But holy cow it's frightening because it's unexpected and loud as H*ll.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
Oh yay.... I got this too. 05 MCS with H/k stereo. The odd thing is I had my radio set to the AUX mode.... no music or anything playing....... THEN BEEEEEEP! It was surely some sort of intentional generated warning chime. But, it was different from any other chimes I heard.

Weird. Like it came from space aliens telling me something ominous is about to happen.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:24 AM
missinmyjeep
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reviving an old thread - yes. Did my ear drums get violated from a crazy loud beep - yes. I had my iPhone connected and H/K in AUX when it happened. It was so loud it made my eyes cross... I literally thought I had been in a wreck.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM
MissingMyClassicMini
Neutral
I have an R53 2006 and just lost the amplifier from the HK system, it seems. Head unit works but I get no sound, OTHER than a regular beep. The noise seems to come from the middle of the back seat - I thought it might be the driver side speaker but it seems to be more central. It happens every minute or so and only started after the audio system went. I get three distinct tones, one is a mid-range and the other two are higher-pitched one is softer and one is louder. They don't blow my eardrums out however. Definitely annoying. I have a new (used) amp coming and I'm hoping all will go back to normal but I don't know why this is happening. The volume of the "alarm" beeps is independent of the audio system being on or off.
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-08-2018, 11:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Is happened to me, most of the time is the amp beeeps really loud then usually the amp fails. Does not work and then sometimes beeps.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-at-me-3.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-or-amp.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was gonna post some links to DSP amp failures too.