Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio What cable for Droid X??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 PM
pointman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What cable for Droid X??

Hi everyone. Just changed from an iPhone to a Droid X and was hoping someone could tell me what cable I need now to play music from the Droid.

Thanks so much.

p.s. anyone on the fence about getting the Droid X, definitely do it. Its great.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
miniSQ
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What connection do you want to make? I don't have BT or USB on my mini...so i connect my "Incredible" using a standard mini plug o the AUX for music.

PS..i tried selling my Incredible to my daughter to pick up the X...but she didn't bite.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:18 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Just a simple male/male wire goes in the headphone jack. There's not docking wire like the iPhone/iPod. Hey, the Incredible is still backordered. My daughter got an X last week instead. It's cool. Now we've got a MotoDroid, MotoX, and HTC Incredible. That about covers it for Verizon I think.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
ca92807
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's like my Sprint EVO, try the USB port. I connected my Android phone to my '10 w/o navi, and it works great. Charges and full access to my music from the radio controls, just like a USB stick.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 PM
pointman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniSQ
What connection do you want to make? I don't have BT or USB on my mini...so i connect my "Incredible" using a standard mini plug o the AUX for music.

PS..i tried selling my Incredible to my daughter to pick up the X...but she didn't bite.
Not sure. I just want to be able to play music!
Haha! Good try.

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Just a simple male/male wire goes in the headphone jack. There's not docking wire like the iPhone/iPod. Hey, the Incredible is still backordered. My daughter got an X last week instead. It's cool. Now we've got a MotoDroid, MotoX, and HTC Incredible. That about covers it for Verizon I think.
Male/male wire? Whats that look like and where can I get it?

Originally Posted by ca92807
If it's like my Sprint EVO, try the USB port. I connected my Android phone to my '10 w/o navi, and it works great. Charges and full access to my music from the radio controls, just like a USB stick.
Oh like the regular cable that comes with it?? Nice. Thanks. I didn't even think of that cause the outlet on the mini. Thank you. Will report back.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pointman
Male/male wire? Whats that look like and where can I get it?
He's referring to a 3.5mm headphone jack extension- male plugs on both ends. Doing this, you'll need to play the music from the phone. This works for Pandora/Last.fm and other streaming players.

Originally Posted by ca92807
+1 as long as you've got the USB port option in the car. The car can mount the SD card like it would be when connected to a computer- the phone doesn't have access to the SD when it's connected, and the car can only play non-DRM'd files that are stored on the SD card.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM
pointman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
He's referring to a 3.5mm headphone jack extension- male plugs on both ends. Doing this, you'll need to play the music from the phone. This works for Pandora/Last.fm and other streaming players.
Hi! Thank you for the clarification. Will this fit my needs?

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-Ex...9&sr=8-3-fkmr2

+1 as long as you've got the USB port option in the car. The car can mount the SD card like it would be when connected to a computer- the phone doesn't have access to the SD when it's connected, and the car can only play non-DRM'd files that are stored on the SD card.
I tried connecting with the usb... gave me an "error". I guess my files aren't "DRM".. whatever that is.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Hi! Thank you for the clarification. Will this fit my needs?

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-Ex...9&sr=8-3-fkmr2
That'll be the one- you should be able to find one pretty cheap just about anywhere. RadioShack, BestBuy, etc.
I tried connecting with the usb... gave me an "error". I guess my files aren't "DRM".. whatever that is.
DRM is the thing that you don't want It's short for Digital Rights Management, and it makes sure that only explicitly authorized devices can play the file. If they're from iTunes it's a likely problem.

There could be other issues though- you'll want to be sure the Droid is in 'Disk Drive Mode', which tells the phone to let other things read the SD card.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 AM
pointman
1st Gear
That'll be the one- you should be able to find one pretty cheap just about anywhere. RadioShack, BestBuy, etc.

DRM is the thing that you don't want It's short for Digital Rights Management, and it makes sure that only explicitly authorized devices can play the file. If they're from iTunes it's a likely problem.

There could be other issues though- you'll want to be sure the Droid is in 'Disk Drive Mode', which tells the phone to let other things read the SD card.
Thank you! I am going to go to Radio Shack and see if they have it. Great idea.

Hmm... where do I find the "Disk Drive Mode"? I haven't seen that anywhere on the phone.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:26 AM
miniSQ
4th Gear
Thank you! I am going to go to Radio Shack and see if they have it. Great idea.

Hmm... where do I find the "Disk Drive Mode"? I haven't seen that anywhere on the phone.
on my droid incredible its under settings/connect to PC. But i think that is for USB connection...

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Looks like my MyTouch Slide is a bit different, based on some quick Googling it should be:

Plug the USB cord into the MINI
Pull down the Status Bar
Tap the item titled "USB connected

After that, you'll either get an alert that includes a button named "Mount" to click, or...

You'll get a screen that includes four options:

"PC Mode"
"Windows Media Sync"
"USB Mass Storage"
"Charge Only"

You'd want USB Mass Storage

Sorry for the misleading info earlier!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
kidmoneyoc
Neutral
Proud new owner of a 2008 MCS here and sorry to bring up an older thread.

I have plugged my Droid Incredible in via USB and selected mount as a USB drive on the phone. My navigation unit still does not see my music on the drive. In fact I think the "USB" selection for input is grayed out and can't even be selected. Is there a specific folder I need to have my music files in? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Congrats and welcome!

It sounds like the car isn't finding any music files. Could be because of the file format, problems with the SD card, or cable.

MINIs can only playback non-DRM encoded MP3 and WMA files, so AAC and DRM protected files from iTunes can't be read directly by the car. It can be picky about the filesystem format too. If the SD card in your droid is 4GB or larger, it probably needs to be reformatted to a basic FAT32 filesystem (even extended FAT32 doesn't usually work)

Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
kidmoneyoc
Neutral
Thanks for the input and I will get more opportunity to mess with it later today. I fee like I am so close but something is just off.

Should the .mp3 files be in a specific directory on the SD card or will the navigation unit know where to find them? I know when I browse the contents of my SD card via my PC there are numerous file folders, apps, phone info, settings, etc. The .mp3 files are actually kinda buried it seems. Do I need to create a "music" folder in the root folder of the SD card or something like that?

Appreciate all the help already on this forum! You guys are great.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Droid X is slightly different from the HTC Incredible but the only thing i had to do was put all my music in a folder called music and it works just fine. My folder layout is as follows

Music
>A
>>Aerosmith
>>>Album name
>>>>Tracks
>>Atunea
>>>Album name
>>>>Tracks

One thing that may help is to connect it to the USB in the car and then pull open your notification bar and press on USB this should open a new window where you can select the type of USB Connection. In the list should be

PC Mode
Windows Media Sync
USB Mass Storage
Charge Only

Choose USB Mass Storage. Then disconnect the USB Cable wait about 20 seconds and reconnect. Wait about 20 seconds and then see if the USB shows up on the radio screen.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
kidmoneyoc
Neutral
I will give your suggeestions a try. Thank you so much for all your help!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
kidmoneyoc
Neutral
Thanks to the help I've been getting from here I've now gotten my nav to recognize my HTC Incredible and pull up songs.

My issue now is that I cannot actually browse to the SD card. Only .mp3s stored in phone memory are accessible. As long as I move the songs from the SD card into phone storage /mnt/emme/MP3 folder they are accessible. Is there a way I can browse directly to the SD card through the nav unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Not sure of exact workings of the HTC Incredible but it should be similar to the Droid X I am using.

But it sounds as if you are in "PC Mode" not "Mass Storage Mode"

When you connect to a PC (windows) which is connected (mounted) automatically the Internal Memory or the SD Card?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM
kidmoneyoc
Neutral
I actually tested it on my PC this morning to ensure I can browse to my SD card. Using the "disk drive" mode as I did when plugging it in at the MINI USB connection in the car, my computer actually showed 2 drives. 1 was the phone storage drive G: and 1 was the SD card drive H:. For now, I just transfered over all my songs (not that many) to the phone storage, which thankfully on the Incredible is 8gigs. This is an ok work around for the moment but it would be REALLY nice if the MINI nav would be able to read from the SD card also.

Originally Posted by schatzy62
Not sure of exact workings of the HTC Incredible but it should be similar to the Droid X I am using.

But it sounds as if you are in "PC Mode" not "Mass Storage Mode"

When you connect to a PC (windows) which is connected (mounted) automatically the Internal Memory or the SD Card?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I will see if i can find out some more info on the Incredible but can you tell me what version of Android you are running? That would help me a lot.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
kidmoneyoc
Neutral
Android version 2.2

Thank you!

Originally Posted by schatzy62
I will see if i can find out some more info on the Incredible but can you tell me what version of Android you are running? That would help me a lot.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
ol1bit
1st Gear
My Droid original works fine on my 2011 Mini!

Havn't figured out if Mini will play playlists or if it can create them yet though.

I connect through USB, I'd say it takes it 30-45 seconds. Then once connected it takes it a while to search though the entire SD card for all the MP3's I have 8 GB or so.

But works fine once it's synced.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I played around a bit with my android and the USB connection. You can play mp3's that are stored on your phone. The big difference between android and iPhone is that whatever is playing out of the Ipod plays through the stereo including streaming internet music. You can't do streaming music from the android without using the aux port. But if you notice the iPod uses both the USB and aux connection. So in reality it does work very similar!

Nice that the USB also recharges my android!