Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Factory Bluetooth option help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:33 PM
chili_zippy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Bluetooth option help

Just purchased a 2009 Mini Cooper with Bluetooth and USB/Ipod adapter. The Ipod integration works seamlessly but I cannot figure out how to setup Bluetooth. Online searches show that the first step is to press menu and select the phone option. However, I do not see an option for phone. Am I missing a step to activate this option?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This might help. Have the car running. Turn on the Radio, then tap the menu button..."phone" should be on the left side. Next, push the larger button, when "Phone" is encircled. This will take you to a menu to help with instructions on how to "pair" your phone. Every phone is different, ours had to have Bluetooth enabled before we were able to pair it.

Another hint, when the System asks for a "password" "passkey"??, use a simple # sequence (4-digit) works, and enter it into both your phone and the car by using the corresponding keys.

You should also have a fold-out in your Manual Binder that helps with setting up Bluetooth.

Good Luck!!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:54 AM
chili_zippy
Neutral
Pressing the menu button gives me 2 options, "COMP" and "CONFIG". The "PHONE" icon is missing.

The factory sticker lists "Bluetooth and USB/Ipod adapter" as an included item. Am I missing a part or is there a configuration option that's missing?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing you bought the car off the lot, if that's the case then I'd go back to the Dealer with the Factory Sticker and have them help you fix this problem.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Let me know when/how you were able to get this resolved.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:38 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It sounds as if the Bluetooth module is either not working or has not been programed from the factory. the only people that can help you at this time is the dealer.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
chili_zippy
Neutral
Just got back from the dealer. I've been told that the option "Bluetooth and USB/IPOD adapter" is not sufficient to activate bluetooth connectivity. They said that bluetooth will cost another $1700. I'm confused. Do I have bluetooth or not?

There are 3 bluetooth options from Mini:
1. Bluetooth and USB/IPOD adapter
2. Comfort Bluetooth with USB/IPOD adapter
3. Smartphone prep with comfort USB

Which of these options will allow me to use bluetooth with my phone?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by chili_zippy
Just got back from the dealer. I've been told that the option "Bluetooth and USB/IPOD adapter" is not sufficient to activate bluetooth connectivity. They said that bluetooth will cost another $1700. I'm confused. Do I have bluetooth or not?

There are 3 bluetooth options from Mini:
1. Bluetooth and USB/IPOD adapter
2. Comfort Bluetooth with USB/IPOD adapter
3. Smartphone prep with comfort USB

Which of these options will allow me to use bluetooth with my phone?
There is also another iPod option that does not have bluetooth and that is the iPod connection which is normally in the secret compartment.

IF you have the Bluetooth and USB/iPod option you have all that is required to make the bluetooth work.

Now with that said. To have the Bluetooth/USB/iPod option you need the ULF/USB module. To check to see if you have this module we need to do some visual check and some hardware checks. after answers to these questions we can help you further.

1. Do you have a USB port just below the windows (up/down) switches in the center stack?

2. With the radio on Press the "Audio" button you should see the following options: Tuner/CD/USB/AUX Do these show up?

If you have neither of the above then you have the iPod connection and not the bluetooth/USB/iPod connection.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
chili_zippy
Neutral
I have a USB port in the center console below the window switches. The USB port is right next to a stereo jack. This works with the IPOD adapter.

Pressing "Audio", I get Tuner/CD/AUX. No USB. This is consistent with pressing "MENU" which does not show the "Phone" icon.

The factory sticker lists "Bluetooth and USB/Ipod Adapter" which is a $500 charge.

One other thing, my AM radio jumps 9Khz instead of 10Khz.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Hmmm
3rd Gear
Yeah, I think it's time to head to the dealer.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
so if you don't have those options, the button with the phone logo, the buttons with the phone and the face thing logo on the steering wheel too are all there just for fun?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
so if you don't have those options, the button with the phone logo, the buttons with the phone and the face thing logo on the steering wheel too are all there just for fun?
If bluetooth does not exist in the car then the two buttons (face, phone) on the MFSW are not used for anything. It is actually easier for the m to just have one standard set of buttons even if the functionality is not available in the car.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
chili_zippy
Neutral
I have the "Bluetooth and USB/Ipod Adapter" option. As it turns out, dealer had to reprogram my entire car. This added the "Phone" option under menu as well as "Mini" which is for roadside assistance.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I have the "Bluetooth and USB/Ipod Adapter" option. As it turns out, dealer had to reprogram my entire car. This added the "Phone" option under menu as well as "Mini" which is for roadside assistance.
Hopefully they did not charge you to reprogram the car.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 PM
chili_zippy
Neutral
No charge except for my time and the hassle of bringing it back to the service department twice.
First time, the service advisor did not know what he was talking about. Claims that I do not have bluetooth included. Also added that I needed Nav for Bluetooth.
Second time was better. Even got a loaner.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:26 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
No charge except for my time and the hassle of bringing it back to the service department twice.
First time, the service advisor did not know what he was talking about. Claims that I do not have bluetooth included. Also added that I needed Nav for Bluetooth.
Second time was better. Even got a loaner.
Well good luck with it and if you have compatibility questions check out the sticky thread at the top of the Nav and Audio section. There is a lot of info there. Also nicknbecka has a spread sheet with most of the compatibility issues noted. just look at his signature for a link to it.