Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio CarPC touchscreen mod with integrated Nav, MP3s, XM radio, videos and more

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CarPC touchscreen mod with integrated Nav, MP3s, XM radio, videos and more

Here's my new carputer and 7" touchscreen install. Having xm radio, mp3's, videos, dashcam, back-up camera, games, and internet at my fingertips is priceless.

(Treo Centro in handbrake cubby providing internet access)

(close-up, XM radio interface)

(eee PC 1000h laptop with lid/screen removed)

(headrest monitor)

(frontend software: Roadrunner, skin: DigitalFx 4.0)

(fabrication using a dremel, solder knife, Mighty Putty and primer/trim black spray paint)

(rear wiper delete/back-up camera)

(dashcam)

Hardware (shipping included):
Asus EEE 1000h 160g laptop ($450, get the cheaper 900HA in retrospect)
Car charger adapter ($11)
2008 Lilliput 629 Touchscreen ($250)
USG-BU353 GPS Receiver ($37)
L-com Low Profile Right Angle VGA Adapter ($18)
RadioShack Headphone Volume Control cable for power switch mod ($9)
528T Timer Pulse Relay ($16)
XM PCR Satellite Radio ($44)
Left angle side-exit USB cable ($21)
Logitech Premium 4-Port USB Hub ($13)
Power Acoustik CCD-5XS stealth back-up cam ($130)
Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator ($18)
Avermedia Quickplay ($73)
Boss 5.6" Thin-mount headrest monitor ($56)

Prior hardware from dashcam/back-up cam install:
1/4" CCD Sharp Mini Camera ($35)
High-gain surveillance mic ($15)
Portable DVR ($165)

Fabrication:
Spare center console piece ($50)
Mighty Putty ($10)
Primer/SEM Trim Black spray paint ($20)

Software:
Windows XP home (included with laptop)
Roadrunner (free + donation)
DigitalFX 4.0 (free + donation)
ShutControl (free + donation)
PdaNet ($35)
Garmin Mobile PC ($55)

If you're interested, a more detailed worklog is here at mp3car.com.

(nightshot)

Latest build:

Last edited by lacning74; 11-10-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
not bad for 1600 bucks. definately impressive effort!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty nice, but I think the screen is a bit too low for my taste.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Uh. WOW.

Nice mods.. but talk about the cup holder dilema...how will you ever reach to raise/lower the windows?

oh, and p.s.

what kind of camera did you use to take those pictures? they're very VERy crisp!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
lacning74 that is very impressive work done!!

You've created your very own custom mobile office

Old 12-18-2008, 06:01 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Thanks! Appreciate the compliments after the blood, sweat, tears, and cursing.

I agree that the screen is too low and potentially dangerous, but for a lot of reasons, it was the only place with my limited, newbie skills that I could fabricate a screen without requiring substantial relocation of the oem headunit. Unfortunately, the headunit/cd player/volume ****/speedo controls are all integrated. People in Japan have been able to relocate the cd player to the secret compartment with a special harness in order to move the screen or double-din unit up (I almost forked over $700 to get this kit imported):

There's also a single-din kit ($500 imported):

The best location would be in the speedo like the oem nav screen. One positive of the screen location is ease of reach with the right hand. I have "gestures" enabled on the software I'm running so I can just swipe my finger across the screen to change channels/track without looking. Eventually, I'm going to have to hack the MFSW controls.

As for the toggle switch panel, I agree as well that it is too low. With my lanky arms, it hasn't been a problem. There is room to operate the controls up and down except with the lock toggle though. You can only push down since the cig adapter is right up against it, but the door still locks if you press down. I almost dremeled away the cupholders and cig adapter but I restrained myself. One future mini owner is contemplating a carpc install with integrated AC controls (HVAC computer interfaces have been done in other cars). That would allow the toggle panel to be in the usual location. I don't have the skills though. I need plug'n'play options (for the MFSW as well).

As for the pictures, I used my Canon Powershot SD500 in macro mode.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Sold my sat radio patch cable since I was able to fit my XMPCR box underneath the metal plate under the passenger seat where the oem connector lies.

Last edited by lacning74; 01-05-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
with my carpc running a winamp based software with a line-in and enhancer plug-in and the equalizer on bass boost my front 6.5" JL speakers sound much fuller with surprising bass. this will keep my subwoofer and amp desires at bay for a little longer.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Topmini
3rd Gear
wow im so impressed with all the stuff and the end quality look.
your a pro!
i was thinking of putting a flip open 6 inch monitor into the dash because that is a very low look on the switches.
i was thinking that it could MAYBE be possible to put in one of those flip open screens in the secret compartment, by making the screen open downwards, dont know what you think im looking forward to asking you for tips suggestions if its ok with you
cheers

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Thanks! Yeah, I totally agree that the switches are too low. That was my compromise. I so tempted to get that Japan kit now that I've already spend thousands of dollars on this carpc addiction. There's always something to tweak and one more gadget to get.

A single-din slide-out monitor might fit well just below the volume ****. That was actually my original turned back-up plan. With the screen flipped out and up it would be in a much safer and ergonomic position for viewing. From Geeza's pic below, it may work.

As for the secret compartment idea, not sure how easy it would be to view and touch while driving, but it would easily fit a single-din sized monitor. Did you see this thread with a mac mini in the secret compartment and the screen mounted outside?

Good luck! Let me know how how things are going if you decided to go down this rabbit hole.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
Incredible effort! You should work for BMW and show them how to make an affordable system. I bet they would just jack up the cost anyway.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Definitely impressive......obviously a LOT of work, and it shows. Nice job!!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For blackberry owners there is now a piece of software available to allow the Blackberry 83XX Curve, 81xx/82xx Pearl and the 8800xx series to be used as a bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse.

Free for non commercial use here http://www.bluctrl.com

Of course this only works if you are running windows XP SP2 or higher on your carputer and it uses the MS Bluetooth Stack. It will not run on Toshiba Bluetooth Stack or Widcomm Bluetooth Stack.

I have it working on a test computer in my office and it is a little slow but then again so is the old laptop i am testing with.

So what i had was the Blackberry controlling the mouse and keyboard on the laptop which was then using GoToMyPC to control another computer in anohter office. Worked great.

So for those using Blackberries now there is another way to control your Carputer

Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
very nice work, i just bought an EEE for my r53 MINI as well, except i got this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883220006

how is that 1.6ghz intel atom workin out for you? notice any lagging or anything? i still am within my 30 days to return to compusa, so i need to get XP on it (i ordered it with linux becuase it was cheaper) and see how i like it. im sure itll be fine.

i have a 10.4" touchscreen i need to figure out how to fit it in my dash LOL

Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
For blackberry owners there is now a piece of software available to allow the Blackberry 83XX Curve, 81xx/82xx Pearl and the 8800xx series to be used as a bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse.

Free for non commercial use here http://www.bluctrl.com

Of course this only works if you are running windows XP SP2 or higher on your carputer and it uses the MS Bluetooth Stack. It will not run on Toshiba Bluetooth Stack or Widcomm Bluetooth Stack.

I have it working on a test computer in my office and it is a little slow but then again so is the old laptop i am testing with.

So what i had was the Blackberry controlling the mouse and keyboard on the laptop which was then using GoToMyPC to control another computer in anohter office. Worked great.

So for those using Blackberries now there is another way to control your Carputer
wow that sounds cool, except i sold my curve becuase i didnt like it, and went back to my 8700 series. it has BT, but i wonder if itll work to control my carputer....hmm..

Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pimpedout97x
very nice work, i just bought an EEE for my r53 MINI as well, except i got this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883220006

how is that 1.6ghz intel atom workin out for you? notice any lagging or anything? i still am within my 30 days to return to compusa, so i need to get XP on it (i ordered it with linux becuase it was cheaper) and see how i like it. im sure itll be fine.

i have a 10.4" touchscreen i need to figure out how to fit it in my dash LOL
1.6ghz with XP has been fine for me running riderunner (with the digitalfx skin) as well as centrafuse. centrafuse is not as snappy as riderunner but i'm not sure if the limitation is the cpu. either way, i don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
R35P3CT DA M1N1
4th Gear
that is awesome!!!!
might have to look into a new "mod" for my r53

Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
1.6ghz with XP has been fine for me running riderunner (with the digitalfx skin) as well as centrafuse. centrafuse is not as snappy as riderunner but i'm not sure if the limitation is the cpu. either way, i don't think you'll be disappointed.
thats good to hear. i just edited a version of xp pro and the ISO file is 272mb lol. removed a bunch of crap i wont need in a car (printer support, fax, games, system restore, etc, and im formatting it now. i just bought 2 1gb sticks of Crucial ddr2 for 25 bux so that should speed it up a little as well.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
bmwproboi05
2nd Gear
Do you guys know where the thread for the head unit in the glove box is? Not the one with the back, but a single din.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwproboi05
Do you guys know where the thread for the head unit in the glove box is? Not the one with the back, but a single din.
do you mean this one
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-system.html

Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 AM
bmwproboi05
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Sorta. I remember there was picture of the install of it.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:42 AM
pipopipi
Neutral
Originally Posted by lacning74
Thanks! Appreciate the compliments after the blood, sweat, tears, and cursing.

I agree that the screen is too low and potentially dangerous, but for a lot of reasons, it was the only place with my limited, newbie skills that I could fabricate a screen without requiring substantial relocation of the oem headunit. Unfortunately, the headunit/cd player/volume ****/speedo controls are all integrated. People in Japan have been able to relocate the cd player to the secret compartment with a special harness in order to move the screen or double-din unit up (I almost forked over $700 to get this kit imported):

There's also a single-din kit ($500 imported):

The best location would be in the speedo like the oem nav screen. One positive of the screen location is ease of reach with the right hand. I have "gestures" enabled on the software I'm running so I can just swipe my finger across the screen to change channels/track without looking. Eventually, I'm going to have to hack the MFSW controls.

As for the toggle switch panel, I agree as well that it is too low. With my lanky arms, it hasn't been a problem. There is room to operate the controls up and down except with the lock toggle though. You can only push down since the cig adapter is right up against it, but the door still locks if you press down. I almost dremeled away the cupholders and cig adapter but I restrained myself. One future mini owner is contemplating a carpc install with integrated AC controls (HVAC computer interfaces have been done in other cars). That would allow the toggle panel to be in the usual location. I don't have the skills though. I need plug'n'play options (for the MFSW as well).

As for the pictures, I used my Canon Powershot SD500 in macro mode.
Hey mate, i'd like to buy this dash and use a garmin kenwood single din stereo.
Do you know if there is a way to find it cheaper than the japanese dash ? u$s 500 seems too much for a piece of plastic I think and there is not single din anymore apparently in http://www.a-tack.net/index_head.htm They only have double din
I tried to find some out in ebay but couldn't find anything.
Some link to help me ?
Thank you very much.

Last edited by pipopipi; 09-06-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pipopipi
Hey mate, i'd like to buy this dash and use a garmin kenwood single din stereo.
Do you know if there is a way to find it cheaper than the japanese dash ? u$s 500 seems too much for a piece of plastic I think and there is not single din anymore apparently in http://www.a-tack.net/index_head.htm They only have double din
I tried to find some out in ebay but couldn't find anything.
Some link to help me ?
Thank you very much.
found a stateside distributor for a $303 single-din kit. shokits.com

Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 AM
pipopipi
Neutral
Thank you very much lacning74, you are so kind and quick !!!
Thank you , thank you, thank you
?
BTW should I buy with or without can-bus ?

Last edited by pipopipi; 09-06-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmm
3rd Gear
This post made me say WOW about eleventy times...

Now my addiction seems to have received that next big hit.

Dude... wow, kudos, holy crap... wow.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio CarPC touchscreen mod with integrated Nav, MP3s, XM radio, videos and more