Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Dream double-din carpc system

Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dream double-din carpc system

I would so like to install this Azentec Atlas double-din car-pc:

Using this double-din kit from Japan:

Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOOooooOOO! pretty . . .

Now how much does it cost?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:48 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by geekswrath
OOOooooOOO! pretty . . .

Now how much does it cost?
The Azentec Atlas is being listed as a pre-order from Crutchfield for $2800. As for the double-din kit, it looks like it is listing for 60900 yen (573 USD). I have no idea how much, if feasible, it would be to import it. I emailed them via the website. I'll keep you updated. Anyone else have experience with Japanese products?[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

Old 09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
~$3400

Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
dude 3500 bux for aftermarket nav/email? i mean, cool but...
i hope it doenst get lifted....

Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The problem with some of these kits is that they force you to remove the OEM Radio/CD. This then causes your speedo display to not work.

This one on the other hand seems to show the speedo display working So i wonder if they have moved the OEM Radio/CD to another location and mad a harness that goes from that to the display.

Normally the display is mounted directly to the radio/cd unit.

The kit shown in the pictures at todays conversion rate is $570.72 That is a lot of money for a piece of plastic, metal bracket and a small wiring harness.

Please do let us know it you get a response. I am thinking of doing something like this. I have the part nubmers for the console face and will be visiting my dealer on Monday. they have told me they have one in stock so that i can look at it to see what need to be modified to make it open up enough for a Double Din unit. From the measurements i have made i do not think the standard plastic piece that is used on the car can be modified but i will have a deffinate answer after i can get my hands on one that is not in my car.

Also on the Azentec Atlas I have e-mailed the company a few times since i first came across it back in April. It seems they are having trouble getting it to be stable enough to use in a car and they are not sure when the release date will be as it has passed three times now. But at any rate when they do get it finished and fully stable then it looks to be a unit that will do anything you need it to, especially if you are in a city with city wide WiFi.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
BTW here are links to two other thread about the double din radio stuff for R56 and R55 cars

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151453

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151834

Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
The problem with some of these kits is that they force you to remove the OEM Radio/CD. This then causes your speedo display to not work.

This one on the other hand seems to show the speedo display working So i wonder if they have moved the OEM Radio/CD to another location and mad a harness that goes from that to the display.

Normally the display is mounted directly to the radio/cd unit.

The kit shown in the pictures at todays conversion rate is $570.72 That is a lot of money for a piece of plastic, metal bracket and a small wiring harness.

Please do let us know it you get a response. I am thinking of doing something like this. I have the part nubmers for the console face and will be visiting my dealer on Monday. they have told me they have one in stock so that i can look at it to see what need to be modified to make it open up enough for a Double Din unit. From the measurements i have made i do not think the standard plastic piece that is used on the car can be modified but i will have a deffinate answer after i can get my hands on one that is not in my car.

Also on the Azentec Atlas I have e-mailed the company a few times since i first came across it back in April. It seems they are having trouble getting it to be stable enough to use in a car and they are not sure when the release date will be as it has passed three times now. But at any rate when they do get it finished and fully stable then it looks to be a unit that will do anything you need it to, especially if you are in a city with city wide WiFi.
Here's a humorous translation of the website via WorldLingo.com.
R56 mini- business. It is the kit which relocates the genuine deck to the suicide seat dash case and can do installation with 2DIN and 1D+1D.
Functioning it does also the board computer indication and the like within meter normally. Substance price \ 58,000 Price including tax \ 60,900 (There is no CAN BUS unit) Kit Only it is price.
Audio itself or payment do not include.
Looks like they somehow remove and put the oem deck in the secret compartment. Otherwise, there's not much space to squeeze a double-din, possible a single din. Are the AC controls/toggle switches also lower so there will also be more room above and behind the console?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by lacning74
Here's a humorous translation of the website via WorldLingo.com.

Looks like they somehow remove and put the oem deck in the secret compartment. Otherwise, there's not much space to squeeze a double-din, possible a single din. Are the AC controls/toggle switches also lower so there will also be more room above and behind the console?
That is a much better translation than Google did on it. So that makes sense if that is what happens. But then i loose my secret gun case. That won't do. I would have to find someplace else to put the old head unit.

As for the AC/Heating controls. Yes they must move them down as the 4" hight of a double din falls right in the middle of the control panel.

Now do I want to spend $570 plus shipping costs on getting the kit. That seems very expensive as the original plastic panel sells for $72.95 at my dealer. Unfortunately it will not work to make one from.

I will have to think about it for a day or two.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
That is a much better translation than Google did on it. So that makes sense if that is what happens. But then i loose my secret gun case. That won't do. I would have to find someplace else to put the old head unit.

As for the AC/Heating controls. Yes they must move them down as the 4" hight of a double din falls right in the middle of the control panel.

Now do I want to spend $570 plus shipping costs on getting the kit. That seems very expensive as the original plastic panel sells for $72.95 at my dealer. Unfortunately it will not work to make one from.

I will have to think about it for a day or two.
Yeah it is pricey and seems difficult. From your investigations, any tips on fitting a single-din device?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
I noticed mikeythemini is looking into this.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-i...placement.html

Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Here's a $1500 indash single-din carpc:

So I'll need this $275 (+costly import fees i'm sure) single-din kit from Garbino:

Last edited by lacning74; 09-12-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Yes less expensive but still a rather heafty cost when shipping and import duties are included.

As for putting in a single din unit. if there was a way to get the cable that connects from the oem radio/cd to the display on the speedo then you could put in a single din radio where the radio/cd is and put the oem in the hidden compartment and cut the center console plastic out to go around the single din unit. That would only be a 70-80 dollar cost if you screwed up the cutout.

The problem is finding just the cable to remote the oem radio/cd.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Yes less expensive but still a rather heafty cost when shipping and import duties are included.

As for putting in a single din unit. if there was a way to get the cable that connects from the oem radio/cd to the display on the speedo then you could put in a single din radio where the radio/cd is and put the oem in the hidden compartment and cut the center console plastic out to go around the single din unit. That would only be a 70-80 dollar cost if you screwed up the cutout.

The problem is finding just the cable to remote the oem radio/cd.
Yeah, expensive. Here's a quote from MemoryFab, an importer.

$294
+ 50 local Japan shipping
+100 ocean freight
+20-40 shipping to you (depends where you live).

$464 - $484 Shipped to you. If you're in CA, add 8.75% tax

Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Yeah, expensive. Here's a quote from MemoryFab, an importer.
$294
+ 50 local Japan shipping
+100 ocean freight
+20-40 shipping to you (depends where you live).

$464 - $484 Shipped to you. If you're in CA, add 8.75% tax
You for got to mention that ocean freight will be somewhere around a month in time to get here.

I have got to come up with something in the US, even inf it only allows for single din installs.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
In imitation of dragonflyer's setup as posted on mp3car.com, I'm thinking of putting a mac mini in the secret compartment and using the single-din kit (or whatever shatzy62 figures out ) to use this touchscreen monitor, the Zenarc 700idt. For now, I'm collecting all the spare change I can.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
i dont quite understand,
are you going to be using your computer while you drive?
i mean to each his own but....
is there really something THAT pressing that requires you to have a full pc setup in your car.......
or do you spend long hours waiting in your car?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:39 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fronjoni
i dont quite understand,
are you going to be using your computer while you drive?
i mean to each his own but....
is there really something THAT pressing that requires you to have a full pc setup in your car.......
or do you spend long hours waiting in your car?
i agree i don't need it, but it will help clean up my dash to one monitor versus the three i have pictured below. i don't plan to use the computer like i do at home/office. i don't intend to surf the internet much but it would be convenient on car trips. i'll mainly use it to run garmin gps, sirius/xm sat radio, bluetooth, record and display my dashcam and rearview cam feeds, and play mp3s as well as videos to a headrest monitor for my kids. i also plan to get the OBD-II adapter to display car data. the beauty of a carpc is it is so customizable.

Here's a software skin someone made with the Mini logo:

Although I do like this Mac based one:

Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
i never thought about all those things
time to rethink lol.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
After being at the dealer today and doing some measuring on the plastics for the center console. Here are the findings.

Non Nav Cars 1 DIN replacement - I beleive i can modify the plastic center console cover to fit a 1DIN head unit. The problem here is the connection between the OEm head unit which must remain if the display informatinon is to be kept. It would require movingthe OEM head unit to the secret compartment and running a connection cable between the OEM head unit and the display module.

Non NAV Cars 2DIN replacement - there is not a palstic console cover from MINI that will sork to make this type of modification as the controls for the heat-A/C are not far enough down the console to be able to adapt the cover.

NAV cars is more difficult at the head unit is one piece and can not be separated into two units. This means redifining how the system will work. It may be possible ( i am waiting on more info for the display unit) to be able to use the NAV display with a replacement head unit hat can generate the video output but until i have more info on the NAV display i will not be able to figure this out.

I hope to be able to have the plastic cover with the week to be able to play with and cut up to make the 1DIN console cover.

Work is going to get int he way of this though over the next few weeks so there may be a delay as well.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
i think i'm going to go ahead and plunk down $484 for the single-din kit. it's going to take 6-10 weeks. anyone want one so we can split the shipping costs? they take credit card.

in the mean time, i've been tweaking my old mac powerbook to use as my starter carputer. i'll have to start saving up for a shiny, new, fast mac mini.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
i think i'm going to go ahead and plunk down $484 for the single-din kit. it's going to take 6-10 weeks. anyone want one so we can split the shipping costs? they take credit card.

in the mean time, i've been tweaking my old mac powerbook to use as my starter carputer. i'll have to start saving up for a shiny, new, fast mac mini.
Wish i could but i am not willing to make that kind of commitment on that much money. If i could get one for $100 then i would probably risk it but i would also need the 2 din set up.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
I came to my senses and realized $500 is too much just to fabricate a single-din. I had to stop the addiction. I have spent so much on my car already. It was only supposed to be my practical, no-frills, easy to park in nyc, $21K commuter.

I couldn't stop cold-turkey so I ordered a Lilliput 629 touchscreen monitor and will mount it externally somewhere either like others have done either in front of the A/C controls or to she secret compartment dash. I'm going to use my old Mac powerbook or now.

In a year hopefully there will be cheaper ways to fabricate my Lilliput into the center console.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I came to my senses and realized $500 is too much just to fabricate a single-din. I had to stop the addiction. I have spent so much on my car already. It was only supposed to be my practical, no-frills, easy to park in nyc, $21K commuter.

I couldn't stop cold-turkey so I ordered a Lilliput 629 touchscreen monitor and will mount it externally somewhere either like others have done either in front of the A/C controls or to she secret compartment dash. I'm going to use my old Mac powerbook or now.

In a year hopefully there will be cheaper ways to fabricate my Lilliput into the center console.
I hope to be taking my dash part for other reasons in the next few weeks and i will try to figure out what needs to be done to move the OEM head unit so that maybe you could still use the 1 din space where that normal sits.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Juiceman
4th Gear
This is my #1 gripe about the r56. The stereo is so integrated to the car you cant upgrade the stereo system. BMW should have stuck to the good ole DIN type stereo system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Dream double-din carpc system