MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Navigation & Audio
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Bluetooth volume too low - iPhone 3G

I've just switched from a Verizon xv6700 to the iPhone 3g and in every respect the iPhone blows my old phone away.

However, the bluetooth volume for the xv6700 was never great and for the iPhone 3g it is now almost inaudible. I've turned the volume **** up all the way on my HiFi stereo and I've been searching for ways to boost the volume on the iPhone to no avail. Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Thanks, Rex
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OctaneGuy Send a message via Yahoo to OctaneGuy Send a message via Skype™ to OctaneGuy
Gallery
Garage
Is it loud enough while sitting inside the non moving car? Is the problem only while you are moving at speeds above 25mph?

Is the volume on the iPhone on max? Not sure if it uses profiles like my PocketPC but make sure the volume is at it's highest on the phone as well.

I've got the same problem using a Parrot Bluetooth kit--it's too quiet while the car is moving--can't hear callers-though it's loud enough when I'm parked.

I've had to go to extraordinary lengths to solve it though. Doubt you would want to modify the factory system, lol.

Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexicon View Post
I've just switched from a Verizon xv6700 to the iPhone 3g and in every respect the iPhone blows my old phone away.

However, the bluetooth volume for the xv6700 was never great and for the iPhone 3g it is now almost inaudible. I've turned the volume **** up all the way on my HiFi stereo and I've been searching for ways to boost the volume on the iPhone to no avail. Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Thanks, Rex

Looking for Prima?? Buy Prima at ShowCarSupplies.com
11% off everyday discount code: MINI11NAM
2010 Midnight Black MCCSa
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy View Post
Is it loud enough while sitting inside the non moving car? Is the problem only while you are moving at speeds above 25mph?

Is the volume on the iPhone on max? Not sure if it uses profiles like my PocketPC but make sure the volume is at it's highest on the phone as well.

I've got the same problem using a Parrot Bluetooth kit--it's too quiet while the car is moving--can't hear callers-though it's loud enough when I'm parked.

I've had to go to extraordinary lengths to solve it though. Doubt you would want to modify the factory system, lol.

Richard
LOL - well I don't know if I'm going to have to rip out the dash to fix this or not.

I just tried a different search string in google and it may be as simple as using the volume control on the iPhone when it's connected via bluetooth...

I haven't had a chance to confirm this yet but perhaps some iPhone users can tell me if they're able to control bluetooth volume via the volume controls when they're connected?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexicon View Post
LOL - well I don't know if I'm going to have to rip out the dash to fix this or not.

I just tried a different search string in google and it may be as simple as using the volume control on the iPhone when it's connected via bluetooth...

I haven't had a chance to confirm this yet but perhaps some iPhone users can tell me if they're able to control bluetooth volume via the volume controls when they're connected?
I can not find the post at this time but a few people have stated taht they needed to make a connection and then using the volume control on the iPhone to adjust the volume up. In other words the volume control on the iPhone goes into bluetooth volume mode when a call is connected. So if you try that it may help. I am not sure if this is possible on the G3 but it was possible on earlier models.

Also if you have the MFSW then when you are in a call it will adjust only the volume for the bluetooth.

08MCCS, HC/HC/Blk, 6 SPD, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Convenience, HiFi, HC L/C - Steering Wheel - Shift Knob-Boot, - E Brake Handle-Boot, English Oak - 17" Web Spoke (R98) Painted H/C, H/C Club Member #42.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
The volume level for the audio is not the same as the volume for phone calls. So, you have to adjust the volume while making a call.

I also just switched from Verizon to AT&T with an iPhone 3G, and the Bluetooth conversation volume is more than adequate. I haven't adjusted the volume on the phone itself. Perhaps I already had it as sufficient levels.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Casady View Post
The volume level for the audio is not the same as the volume for phone calls. So, you have to adjust the volume while making a call.

I also just switched from Verizon to AT&T with an iPhone 3G, and the Bluetooth conversation volume is more than adequate. I haven't adjusted the volume on the phone itself. Perhaps I already had it as sufficient levels.
Yup - as suspected I was being a dunce and just hadn't played around enough w/the settings.

The bluetooth volume is controlled both by the HiFi stereo and the iPhone. The volume control on both controls volume so all I had to do was use the toggle switch on the iPhone to adjust the Bluetooth output from the iPhone and all was well.

Now if only we could all figure out how to get the y-cable to charge the iPhone while it's in use...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
I am glad there was a fix.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to STLMINI Send a message via MSN to STLMINI Send a message via Yahoo to STLMINI
Gallery
So, I'm having this problem too. And I understand how you have to adjust the volume on the actual stereo when you are on a call but I'm not sure about what/when to adjust on the iPhone 3g?

There's a way to adjust the bluetooth volume output?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMINI View Post
So, I'm having this problem too. And I understand how you have to adjust the volume on the actual stereo when you are on a call but I'm not sure about what/when to adjust on the iPhone 3g?

There's a way to adjust the bluetooth volume output?
Yes - just use the iPhone volume rocker switch while you're in a call. The iPhone should remember settings for the future.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
I am at the maximum and the sound is still too low.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I'm having this issue too, I turn the phone volume up all the way while on a call (the **** does this fine). It's fine when i'm not moving, but when i'm moving it's not very audible...

Does using the iphone volume controls make a diff? my iphone is already at full volume.

Paid $800 or so for this feature, it'd be nice if it worked loud enough at driving speeds, LOL
Old 08-22-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
It is pretty useless. I tried everything and the sound is way too low.
Also the Ipod feature (trough the cable provided) does not work very well either.
Those are my only disappointments with the car.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I haven't had this problem. iPhone volume needs to be at maximum. Then adjust volume while the other party is speaking.

I use the iPod part of the iPhone 3G most of the time I drive. Make sure the Volume Limit is turned off in Settings:iPod. Turn the iPhone volume to maximum on the iPod screen.

The iPhone needs to be connected to the AUX port through the iPhone's dock port. If you are connecting through the earphone jack, you wont get as good results.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I think I fixed mine, while on a call via bluetooth on my 3gs, I turned up the volume on teh side of my iphone ITSELF - it was almost TOO loud, problem solved for me!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:18 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
I had the same problem. The only time the volume rocker switches on the side of the iPhone control the bluetooth volume is when it is connected to a bluetooth device such as the MINI. When it is controlling the bluetooth volume it will say "bluetooth" on the screen of the iPhone.
'09 MCS Convertible - Dark Silver with Tuscan Beige Leather/Piano Black/6 Speed Manual/Convenience/Sport/Cold/Premium/Mini HiFi/Black Bonnet Stripes/Armrest/17" Web Spoke Wheels/Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires/Backup Camera /JCW Carbon Fiber Hood Scoop/Multivex Mirrors/Cocomats.com mats/2010 HK Speakers/Sound Deadening/Anti-torque steer reprogram
4/25/09 (Ordered), 5/08/09 (Built), 5/30/09 (at dealer), 6/3/09 Drove Home!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Do you mean that you have trouble hearing others, or that they have trouble hearing you? I can hear the person I'm conversing with fine, but they say I sound "distant..." on the car Bluetooth.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:43 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehelix View Post
Do you mean that you have trouble hearing others, or that they have trouble hearing you? I can hear the person I'm conversing with fine, but they say I sound "distant..." on the car Bluetooth.
Move the Bluetooth microphone from the passenger side to the driver's side. See this thread.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Thank you! I'll see if I can get them to do this with my next service, otherwise I'll take the DIY route.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Thank you! I'll see if I can get them to do this with my next service, otherwise I'll take the DIY route.
I'd be surprised if they did it. It isn't a mistake. They do them all that way. They are made in Britain, after all.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Quote:

I meant I was having trouble hearing the caller over the MINI's speakers. I have an '09 MCS convertible and the new convertibles have the microphone on top to the steering column (not in the overhead switch console). People can understand me but all say it sounds tinny.
'09 MCS Convertible - Dark Silver with Tuscan Beige Leather/Piano Black/6 Speed Manual/Convenience/Sport/Cold/Premium/Mini HiFi/Black Bonnet Stripes/Armrest/17" Web Spoke Wheels/Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires/Backup Camera /JCW Carbon Fiber Hood Scoop/Multivex Mirrors/Cocomats.com mats/2010 HK Speakers/Sound Deadening/Anti-torque steer reprogram
4/25/09 (Ordered), 5/08/09 (Built), 5/30/09 (at dealer), 6/3/09 Drove Home!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawannamini View Post
People can understand me but all say it sounds tinny.
I don't think that is unique tto the convertible. As part of the BMW cost cutting efforts, they went with tin cans and string for the Bluetooth microphone.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Neutral

Gallery
I've been browsing all the Bluetooth forums and need some help. I have a iPhone 3G and Bluetooth. I don't have the clip-in. Don't want to attempt the DIY to move the speaker.

Every time I'm talking to someone they tell me it sounds like I'm very distant or underwater. Is there a way to improve the sound quality? It's especially bad when I'm on the highway, I assume from the background noise. I always turn off the air as recommended in these forums.

Is something wrong with my system, and if so, is there anything the dealer can do to fix? Increasing the volume sometimes makes it worse.

Would the clip-in improve the quality enough? It's almost unbearable for people to have conversations with me, they hang up the phone!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbroad View Post
I've been browsing all the Bluetooth forums and need some help. I have a iPhone 3G and Bluetooth. I don't have the clip-in. Don't want to attempt the DIY to move the speaker.
By clip in I am not sure what you mean. If you mean the cradle that the phone sits in in the arm rest that will do nothing for sound quality.

Quote:
Every time I'm talking to someone they tell me it sounds like I'm very distant or underwater. Is there a way to improve the sound quality? It's especially bad when I'm on the highway, I assume from the background noise. I always turn off the air as recommended in these forums.
You will need to have the microphone moved. Either do it your self as in this thread
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...icrophone.html
or have the dealer do it for you.

Quote:
Is something wrong with my system, and if so, is there anything the dealer can do to fix? Increasing the volume sometimes makes it worse.
no there is nothing wrong with your system. The microphone points to the passenger seat so if it ismoved per the instructions in the thread above then it will point toward the drivers seat and sound much much better.

Quote:
Would the clip-in improve the quality enough? It's almost unbearable for people to have conversations with me, they hang up the phone!
The cradle will do nothing for the sound quality.

08MCCS, HC/HC/Blk, 6 SPD, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Convenience, HiFi, HC L/C - Steering Wheel - Shift Knob-Boot, - E Brake Handle-Boot, English Oak - 17" Web Spoke (R98) Painted H/C, H/C Club Member #42.

Last edited by schatzy62; 08-24-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I just wanted to thank everyone for making the point of the Bluetooth volume itself. I had the phone speaker volume up to the max, but never thought to think there was a Bluetooth volume. I was kind of sad that I had paid for this feature (it was the one I was the most excited about) and that I could barely hear the voice on the other side. I upped the Bluetooth volume and everything works wonderfully now!

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Neutral

Gallery
I am having the exact opposite problem. PLEASE HELP!

I can hear everything perfectly fine when I connect my iPhone via bluetooth. That's not the problem. my problem is that my ringer volume is insanely loud when a call comes in! I may be listening to music at level 5 (let's say) and the call comes in through the speakers at 15!! It's almost like a jolt alarm that has at times got me into some trouble driving.

Does anyone know how to lower the volume of the RING on the mini?

Thanks!

George
Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 PM