Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth compatibility list

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Kazy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the normal 08~09 bluetooth package supports MAP (Messaging Access Protocol). It's just calls/phone.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kazy
I don't think the normal 08~09 bluetooth package supports MAP (Messaging Access Protocol). It's just calls/phone.
I have the basic system with bluetooth. My system asks to read it off to me. That's about it though. I don't have any display of it on my system.

My phone is a Nokia 920

Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
OwenRW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this and say that the HTC One XL (which I believe is sold in the US as the AT&T One X?) works well with the bluetooth on an '07.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Derek1387
2nd Gear
my 09 Mini bluetooth works with my galaxy Note 2, all functions, phone book, etc.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 AM
miniCasey
Neutral
ATT Galaxy Note II

Originally Posted by Derek1387
my 09 Mini bluetooth works with my galaxy Note 2, all functions, phone book, etc.
Hey Derek - are you on ATT? I have an 09 Cooper S as well and it worked fine with my iPhone 4, but won't work with my Note 2 (phone finds the mini bluetooth, I hit "pair" on the car, and then the phone says it can't connect with the car...end of the line). The fact that yours worked gives me hope...but I don't know what else to try?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
tmo note2 and mini coupe 2013

Originally Posted by miniCasey
Hey Derek - are you on ATT? I have an 09 Cooper S as well and it worked fine with my iPhone 4, but won't work with my Note 2 (phone finds the mini bluetooth, I hit "pair" on the car, and then the phone says it can't connect with the car...end of the line). The fact that yours worked gives me hope...but I don't know what else to try?
i have a Tmobile Galaxy Note 2 and mine works great. I would try turning off and on the bluetooth in your mini and also do restart your phone after doing so. the bluetooth pairing can be shady w/my mini. i was testing my iphone 4s, blackberry z10 and note 2 w/it and had to remove all phones and restart bt on the mini and even left the area for a few hours to get the note2 repaired.

my note2 does do the MAP for text messages but no go emails.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM
miniCasey
Neutral
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
i have a Tmobile Galaxy Note 2 and mine works great. I would try turning off and on the bluetooth in your mini and also do restart your phone after doing so. the bluetooth pairing can be shady w/my mini. i was testing my iphone 4s, blackberry z10 and note 2 w/it and had to remove all phones and restart bt on the mini and even left the area for a few hours to get the note2 repaired.

my note2 does do the MAP for text messages but no go emails.
Thanks for the help! I should have updated and mentioned that I figured it out - there's a step you need to do (making the code via the car, I think?) that isn't listed in the manual (I was just waiting for a code to pop up). So, totally my fault! Thanks for reaching out though - and your coupe is GORGEOUS!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM
InvaderZim
1st Gear
I have a Google Nexus 4 (made by LG, on Rogers network in Canada, but bought direct from Google on Play) and can offer the following; please note that I have only had my new MCS for a day and haven't fully explored all the functionality.
Bluetooth pairs no problem.
Bluetooth audio works.
Contacts synch.
Phone history imports.
Addresses from your contacts can be set as destinations in the nav, but is a bit dodgy. I think the car takes a minute to examine the address stored from the phone and compare it to the Nav database.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
TheZlog
4th Gear
I recently purchased a Galaxy Note 3.
Phone Function: Yes
Contacts: Yes
Messaging: Yes
Media Control: Yes, but Pandora and some other things do not display the track/artist info :(

Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just hooked my new Nexus 5 (made by LG, sold by Google) to my 2012 Roadster S. I don't have Connected, just regular Bluetooth. Paired without incident and seems 100% functional.

(I also use a Bluetooth receiver hooked to my Aux port for A2DP streaming as my car doesn't have it built in, and the phone worked with that too.)

Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S III w/ Verizon the other night. I wanted an Android system so I can get the Torque app to use with my MINI. I was using an old LG flip phone that I had before I purchased the car.

The Galaxy S III paired up fine. Unfortunately the contact list did not transfer. I was reading the phone manual which gives instructions on how to Import/Export contacts using the Bluetooth. It took me about four attempts but my contacts are now showing up on the car radio.

These phones do everything but the dishes, so I have to use it for a while to say it works one hundred percent with the car, but so far it's looking good.

I ordered the OBD-II adapter yesterday, so once I get that, I have to figure out how the Torque app works. The learning never ends....

Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 PM
JMike
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
Just hooked my new Nexus 5 (made by LG, sold by Google) to my 2012 Roadster S. I don't have Connected, just regular Bluetooth. Paired without incident and seems 100% functional.

(I also use a Bluetooth receiver hooked to my Aux port for A2DP streaming as my car doesn't have it built in, and the phone worked with that too.)
I'm having problems with my Nexus 5. It paired to my Mini (07) OK (using just the Bluetooth connection), but it's only working as a headset and mic for the Mini (like a handsfree headset). The Mini cannot initiate a phone call or 'answer' a phone call from the steering wheel or dash controls. If a phone call comes in, or to make a phone call I have to use the phone itself to do this and once the call is connected, the Mini takes over so I can speak over the Mini speakers and mic. If I do touch any controls on the Mini to try to start a phone call or answer a call, basically the Mini system just locks up because it's waiting for a response from the phone (I guess). I have to either answer the phone on the phone itself or turn off the bluetooth just to release the Mini back to it's normal dash operations.

I had a previous HTC 3D phone and it worked perfectly with full calling initiating and answering from the Mini's controls.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or know how to resolve it? I really need to get this fixed since it's a pain to use the phone this way.

Mike

Old 12-20-2013, 03:23 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JMike

I'm having problems with my Nexus 5. It paired to my Mini (07) OK (using just the Bluetooth connection), but it's only working as a headset and mic for the Mini (like a handsfree headset). The Mini cannot initiate a phone call or 'answer' a phone call from the steering wheel or dash controls. If a phone call comes in, or to make a phone call I have to use the phone itself to do this and once the call is connected, the Mini takes over so I can speak over the Mini speakers and mic. If I do touch any controls on the Mini to try to start a phone call or answer a call, basically the Mini system just locks up because it's waiting for a response from the phone (I guess). I have to either answer the phone on the phone itself or turn off the bluetooth just to release the Mini back to it's normal dash operations.

I had a previous HTC 3D phone and it worked perfectly with full calling initiating and answering from the Mini's controls.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or know how to resolve it? I really need to get this fixed since it's a pain to use the phone this way.

Mike
Do you have Connected or the regular setup? I don't have Connected, and I can definitely answer calls using the MFSW button. I don't tend to make calls from the car, but I'll check it this morning on my way to work.

EDIT: I looked at my setup this morning. My phone book is in the car, I can dial numbers from contacts using the radio buttons, and I can also dial numbers using the buttons. Looks fine to me. I suggest that you delete the pairing from the phone and the car, re-pair, and make sure you allow the access to the phone book/contacts that the phone will ask your permission for during the pairing process.

Last edited by spiney; 12-20-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: More information
Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 PM
JMike
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
Do you have Connected or the regular setup? I don't have Connected, and I can definitely answer calls using the MFSW button. I don't tend to make calls from the car, but I'll check it this morning on my way to work.

EDIT: I looked at my setup this morning. My phone book is in the car, I can dial numbers from contacts using the radio buttons, and I can also dial numbers using the buttons. Looks fine to me. I suggest that you delete the pairing from the phone and the car, re-pair, and make sure you allow the access to the phone book/contacts that the phone will ask your permission for during the pairing process.
Thanks for responding. I've unpaired and re-paired them several times on different days (and just did it again). I get the same results. I don't have Connect (that I know of). I've always used the MFSW to make or answer calls. With my Nexus 5 phone, if I push the phone button on the steering wheel when a call comes in, the radio cuts out going to phone mode but nothing happens and the phone keeps ringing. Once I answer the phone on the phone itself, then the Mini takes over the call. Attached is what my Bluetooth connection looks like, does yours have the same headset icon?

I'm wondering if there is an update needed to get it to work with my 07 Mini?

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth compatibility list-2013-12-21-02.34.08.jpg   Bluetooth compatibility list-2013-12-21-02.34.16.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JMike
Thanks for responding. I've unpaired and re-paired them several times on different days (and just did it again). I get the same results. I don't have Connect (that I know of). I've always used the MFSW to make or answer calls. With my Nexus 5 phone, if I push the phone button on the steering wheel when a call comes in, the radio cuts out going to phone mode but nothing happens and the phone keeps ringing. Once I answer the phone on the phone itself, then the Mini takes over the call. Attached is what my Bluetooth connection looks like, does yours have the same headset icon?

I'm wondering if there is an update needed to get it to work with my 07 Mini?
My connection screens look just like yours.

My car is a 2012, yours is an '07, I don't know if there are any significant differences in the Bluetooth software/hardware in the car between those years.

Sorry I can't be of much help, good luck.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Recently made the major change from the Iphone to the Samsung Note 3....

So far it's been great....other than it being large, hate/love situation....

No problem connecting to bluetooth...but not as many options as with the iphone connected to the Y cable or sitting in the cradle. 1st thought was to keep the 4s in the cradle just as an iPod and music... Just wondering if any of the android users found a cable to will plug into the existing mini Y cable...

Thanks

Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 PM
RicWRX
2nd Gear
What about HTC M8 and an R56?

Old 10-18-2014, 03:32 PM
acmdude
1st Gear
iPhone 6+ not pairing properly on Mini '07 S

Never had a problem before with my iPhones and Bluetooth on my Cooper '07 but just got an iPhone 6+ and it looks as though I'm out of business. It will pair OK but then the Mini display starts saying "Connecting ***** and then there is a phone symbol and the antenna symbol that means I'm connected is flashing. If I dial a number on my iPhone it seems to work through the Bluetooth but that "Connecting" line never goes off even when I shut the engine off. Is there a Bluetooth update to 4.0 available??

UPDATE: Did a restart of my iPhone and that seems to clear the problem. The mini is paired with the iPhone 6+ although the antenna symbol does not appear in the display.

Last edited by acmdude; 10-19-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Titleist76
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Moto X 2013 running Kit Kat and a Moto X 2014 running Lollipop. Neither work now. The 2013 worked for over a year. The 2014 worked for three months or so. Now, it drops the bluetooth every few minutes and it's driving me crazy. My Mini dealership basically told me to buy an iPhone.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 PM
jmc31100
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally decided to upgrade my Galaxy S3 (AT&T) and went with the Galaxy S6 based on the reviews it received. Over all the S6 is a very nice phone as it is a substantial improvement over the S3.

For the most part I like what Lollipop brings to the table. However...when paired to my '13 MCS Hatch I get no track data on the Nav display. The phone works fine but playing media (Pandora, Amazon Music) no track info. Several times I've lost the ability to control tracks from the steering wheel. Ok, truth in advertising, I have seen the track info, briefly, immediately after I pair it. But as soon as the track changes it just says Various Artist/Bluetooth. This is quite frustrating. I have paired the phone with my wife's Honda CRV and everything displays fine so this appears to be a MINI/BMW issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I did call ATT and they opened an incident so the issue can be researched. Seeing as this works in the CRV I'm not sure they will be able to address it.

I have 5 days left on my 14 return period and this is bugging me enough that it may go back. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks,
John

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Missourileo
1st Gear
I'm in the same boat as you are.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
MORENOJM
Neutral
Having issues with bluetooth iPhone 6. It connects through bluetooth but calls sound distorted incoming and outgoing. Noticed there's a plastic tray with a connector in the center console is that suppose to connect to the phone? Is there an adapter for it to connect to the iPhone 6 to reduce distortion?

Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 AM
cbracerx
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
iPhone X Max with iOS 13 connected fine to 2009 R55.

The following users liked this post:
dequardo (07-05-2021)