Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Official R56 Audio System Specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveKennedy
10 speakers? you're counting the 6x9's each as 2 speakers for a total of 4???? The 6x9's are attached 1 larger speaker and 1 integral tweeter... for a total of 1 total speaker.
It's all semantics, but it's fair to call them two speakers if they're two separate drivers, each with its own voice coil. The fact that the two drivers share a chassis is immaterial.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
It's all semantics, but it's fair to call them two speakers if they're two separate drivers, each with its own voice coil. The fact that the two drivers share a chassis is immaterial.
Just so you both know, they are separate drivers. The tweeter is mounted to the grill not touching the 6x9 in any way. (at least mine were in my 09)

Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 PM
DaveKennedy
2nd Gear
Oh it is not mounted to the 6x9? Then i stand corrected it is a different speaker. So while someone is paying attention here... will 6x9's fit if they're 3 3/4 inches deep? i have some Alpine 6x9's that I want to put in but I don't want to tear apart the whole back end of the car just to find out that I have less than about 4"'s of mounting depth back there.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Additionally the rear tweeters receive their own separate signal from the amp, not like other coaxial speakers where the tweeter is not only mounted to the woofer, but share an input with the woofer.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 AM
DaveKennedy
2nd Gear
Never let it be said that an opportunity is missed to be pedantic.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you gone to Crutchfield.com? Their database is pretty good, and will let you know what will fit without modification, with slight modification, or just plain won't fit.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
jcwzap
Banned
I have a 2013 hk system, I want to replace only the rear 6x9 with a 6x9 sub......the sub being 4ohms......will this work without over heating the amp????????? thanks in advanced

Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM
theSamuel
1st Gear
I have the 2009 MCS Hardtop with the HIFI Premium 10-Speaker System (Non-H/K). I've read that my amplifier only has 230 watts, while the 2010-2013 H/K amplifier has 480 watts. Can I buy the H/K amplifier online and swap it out for my non-H/K amp? I'm trying to drive some Infinity Reference (2 ohm) speakers I bought to replace the 6 front speakers (tweeters, mids, and woofers) and they are a bit power hungry.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by theSamuel
I have the 2009 MCS Hardtop with the HIFI Premium 10-Speaker System (Non-H/K). I've read that my amplifier only has 230 watts, while the 2010-2013 H/K amplifier has 480 watts. Can I buy the H/K amplifier online and swap it out for my non-H/K amp? I'm trying to drive some Infinity Reference (2 ohm) speakers I bought to replace the 6 front speakers (tweeters, mids, and woofers) and they are a bit power hungry.
Yes, that is pretty much a drop-in-and-code replacement. See Strobeyprobey's post in this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3618033#post3618033

Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM
theSamuel
1st Gear
Thanks bratling! Just a quick question though - how would I go about re-coding? Do dealers usually do this? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by theSamuel
Thanks bratling! Just a quick question though - how would I go about re-coding? Do dealers usually do this? Thanks.
Dealers generally won't, I am told, unless they sold you the parts and did the work themselves. So... Start here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/208843-the-complete-ncs-expert-diy.html

Good luck! I saw an HK amp on eBay a couple weeks ago. Keep watch!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 PM
cumang0
2nd Gear
can anybody confirm the power ratings from OP on whether they are RMS or max?

if they are max...then mini boost is /facepalm

need to figure out how badly they will push aftermarket speakers (mini boost), cheers for any inputs.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM
theSamuel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cumang0
can anybody confirm the power ratings from OP on whether they are RMS or max?

if they are max...then mini boost is /facepalm

need to figure out how badly they will push aftermarket speakers (mini boost), cheers for any inputs.
Pretty sure they're RMS. The maximum wattage is usually multiple times the RMS, and my aftermarket speakers sound perfect. They are about 40 watts each.

Last edited by theSamuel; 03-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 AM
roadrunner255
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello all,

Would anyone know what system is in the 2013 GP?

It only has the front speakers.

Cheers!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:18 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinC
Here's a schpiel on the H/K system in the '10 model...

A Unique Car Deserves a Unique Sound System
MINI and Harman Kardon® both embody excellent performance, top quality, individuality and lifestyle in combination with distinctive design. Together, these two iconic brands stand for pioneering technology and passionate engineering. As partners, MINI and Harman Kardon jointly developed tailor-made sound systems that enrich the dynamic MINI driving experience with a fascinating listening experience. The uncompromising sound quality is delivered by the powerful digital Harman Kardon DSP amplifiers in Class D technology, driving ten speakers that are optimally positioned in the car and specifically adjusted for the respective MINI model. These high-performance transducers feature specially developed membrane materials. The tweeters, with metal matrix diaphragms, employ a complex sandwich structure with an aluminum core and a ceramic surface. Midrange speakers in the door panels feature Alumaprene® diaphragms that are characterized by excellent damping characteristics for a finely balanced frequency response. The new diaphragm materials ensure a careful balance between stiffness and weight.

In addition, the MINI models also use a high-performance 480-watt Class D amplifier, a power pack whose superior sound pressure level (SPL) fulfills the desire for fun and produces a richly detailed sound. Compared to the previous model, the module, which weighs only 1.3 kg, allows twice the performance; low bass tones are passed on to the speakers powerfully and precisely. Because of its superior efficiency, the amplifier radiates very little heat, rendering additional cooling unnecessary. Thus, the amplifier features very compact dimensions of just 19.2 x 11.6 x 5.2 centimeters, enabling space saving installations.

Harman Kardon is a world leader in the development and production of high-quality audio systems, and has worked with the engineers at MINI to design the perfect solution for these unique cars. It was clear from the very beginning that this was not a matter of standard solutions, as each model has its own unique set of requirements. For example, the MINI Convertible needs a system that can offer the same outstanding sound experience whether the top is up or down. With the MINI Clubman, on the other hand, the acoustic experts had to take the larger interior space into account when tuning the sound. Furthermore, the additional door on the passenger side for rear seat passengers required the development of a speaker that is specially optimized for small volumes.

The high standards of both brands were the top priority during development: The system meets the most demanding requirements of an excellent, uncompromising sound experience. Even at an early stage in the design phase, this required close cooperation between the engineers from both brands. As all interior components have a dramatic impact on acoustics, Harman Kardon engineers work on sound tuning in the different phases of vehicle development. To ensure a faithful, three-dimensional listening experience, the number, size, and position of the speakers have to be defined, and the individual components optimally tuned.

Following the complex sound tuning with Auravox, Harman’s proprietary fully automatic tuning and filtering process, new sound systems need to undergo the ultimate test: the human ear. The top acoustic experts from Harman Kardon employ direct listening tests to ensure that the results meet the brand’s high standards. Fine nuances are, of course, allowed and even desired, as the sound should exactly reflect the character of the respective MINI model and corresponding target group.

More info here:

http://www.mini.harmankardon.com/en/index.aspx
... I used to think the Harmon Kardon name meant something when it came to sound. Then I bought a mini cooper with the "hi-fi" speakers.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey
... I used to think the Harmon Kardon name meant something when it came to sound. Then I bought a mini cooper with the "hi-fi" speakers.
Bait and switch. The HiFi system was a "Harmon" system; it was implied HK quality but wasn't actually designed or made by that arm of the company.

Still can't believe MINI did that. Horrible idea; even though they haven't shipped that piece of s*** system in 5 years, its well deserved reputation still taints both MINI and the newer HK system. They took the great reputation of the R50/53 high end audio system and just trashed it.

Car guys will be talking about this f***** for decades.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Chad Stoll
Neutral
Originally Posted by raz636
A Mini rep sent me some official figures for the audio systems in the R56. Here's the info:

Standard System:
4 channels
6 loudspeakers
• 2 mid-range loudspeakers in front, 100 mm [~4 inch]
• 2 bass loudspeakers in front, 150 mm [~6 inch]
• 2 bass loudspeakers in rear, 6 x 9"
Bandwidth: 50 Hz to 14,000 Hz
Max. acoustic pressure 98 dB
Amplifier power: depends on radio,
4 x 15 W (4 Ohm)

HiFi System:
8 channels
10 loudspeakers
• 2 treble loudspeakers in front, 26 mm [~1 inch]
• 2 mid-range loudspeakers in front, 100 mm [~4 inch]
• 2 bass loudspeakers in front, 150 mm [~6 inch]
• 2 bass loudspeakers in rear, 6 x 9"
• 2 treble loudspeakers in rear, 26 mm [~1 inch]
Bandwidth: 40 Hz to 20,000 Hz
Max. acoustic pressure 104 dB
Amplifier power:
•2 x 40 W (2 Ohm) Bass
•6 x 25 W (2 Ohm)
I have read through this entire thread and notice there was nothing about a stock amplifier being in a Mini Cooper S base model. My car is a 2006 s and I had the back right speaker stopped working and everybody's been telling me that there's an amplifier somewhere in the car even though that I don't have a Harman Kardon speaker system. Is there in fact some sort of stock amplifier somewhere in this car that I would need to troubleshoot? Or do you think it's going to be the head unit and or some other problem? It's the only speaker that doesn't have any sound coming out of it and I've even tried to hook up a new speaker that I bought. Still no sound.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently installed a Kenwood DDX374BT with a crossover function. I'd like to know what the frequency range is on each of the speakers to make correct adjustments.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 AM
mini1275GT
Neutral
Hi all, Not sure if this is the right thread but couldn't find any specific amplifier issue and reprogram the replacement amplifier unit for my 2010 R56 Mini with HK system and no sound. So I assumed it was the the amplifier.... bought a working/tested used one and didn't work then I realized some needs reprogramming. Can someone specify the reprogramming or mating the unit with a type of scanner or I have to go o Mini dealer.

Thanks-Giorgio