Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Jen Rampage
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greatbear, thank you!!! I have an '04 with nav and couldn't have done this without your instructions and perfect photos. The whole nav ducker wiring issue would have stopped me in my tracks. You showed us a simple fix for a seemingly hidden issue that would have cost a lot of money to have a dealer install. Awesome! Thank you again!

For those about to take this on, I did have to come back to NAM to find out how to get the knee panel/bolster open so I could get the last screw out of the downtubes. I don't have the Euro shelf. The knee bolster takes a little effort to get off and I found that using a flathead screwdriver to pry it (be careful - just a little) in one corner at a time while pulling helped a lot. It's on hinges, so pulling from just underneath the steering column on each side (one side at a time) and using the screwdriver with a wide tip at the top corners near the dash trim did the trick.

Some have suggested just pulling the downtubes out from under the dash trim (on older models) without removing all the screws in the cupholders and underneath the mirror controls. I really can't recommend this after seeing the clearance required to do this. Pulling too hard could crack or break the dash trim and the downtubes in my "04 were really in there. In my opinion, it's just not worth it and taking the screws out of the cupholders and under the mirror controls is no big deal.

One note: when putting the gear shift cover back on (you have to pop this off to help pry up the mirror control panel box), there is one peg that is larger than the others, so make sure all the pegs are lined up before you put too much pressure on the ring to get it into place. I didn't know this and snapped off one of the small pegs because I didn't have them lined up properly.

Also, when looking for a good spot for the AUX jack (once I got the other end plugged into the head unit), I found a hole under the steering column, all the way on the upper-right side, under the dash (with the knee bolster open), that fits the AUX jack perfectly! I didn't need to drill anything. The AUX INPUT plate doesn't fit there, but it is out of sight once the knee bolster is back in place anyway. I simply inserted the AUX plug and threaded on the silver nut. Then I plugged the male-to-male 2.5 cable end into the AUX jack. The male-to-male cable can fit in the space just to the right side of the knee bolster with it closed. I then fed the male-to-male cable behind the left downtube so I can plug in my iPod and put the iPod in a cup holder. Pretty sweet!

I also have one of those (useless in Los Angeles due to radio interference) Belkin iPod radio things that charges the iPod from the cigarette lighter. It holds the iPod in a great position and now that I am using the AUX function of the Mini's head unit, the radio functions of the Belkin don't interfere with anything. If you tried getting iPod sound with one of these and it is just lying around because the radio functions are BUNK, the charging and positioning features are pretty cool. Don't buy one just to have it for this purpose though. There are products out there that are designed to hold iPods and charge them too. If you use a Belkin, make SURE that you UNPLUG the Belkin unit when you turn off the key! The damn thing drained the car battery when we left it plugged in.

Sorry I don't have photos. I didn't know the male-to-male cable trick was going to work with the knee bolster closed until after I closed it. It was kind of a pain to open it and I couldn't bring myself to do it for the third time. I also read that the clips can weaken, and some people have the bolster fall open on them while driving. No thanks!

I hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
zigzag930
1st Gear
What date radios for aux?

Has anyone been able to determine either a manufacture date, s/n or other way to determine if a 02 Radio is Aux capable? I have a 10/02 manufacture date (for the MCS). Would love to add aux....

ALSO.
Anyone out there figure out a circuit for using aftermarket (NUVI, etc) NAV audio output to connect to MCS head unit? I believe there are 2 or 3 wires. Guessing Audio +/- and some sort of voltage to control the mute of current source and cutover to nav audio.....

Thanks to all

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
KnightmareCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by zigzag930
Has anyone been able to determine either a manufacture date, s/n or other way to determine if a 02 Radio is Aux capable? I have a 10/02 manufacture date (for the MCS). Would love to add aux....
The instructions that came with it from the dealer says it is for:
Vehicle Production
Cooper R50 09/2002- On
Cooper S R53 09/2002- On

For those that don't feel comfortable drilling the dash piece under the toggle switches, there is a way to screw it in. Out of the three slots on the underdash piece, the aux can be screwed to the one closest to you. All you need are two #10 screws, two #10 nuts and four #10 washers.
Put a washer on the screw. Put this combo through the aux plate. Put this combo through first dash piece slot. Put a washer then the nut. Repeat for other hole.
This worked for me and didn't require any drilling. Installed everything in minutes.

This one is drilled. But you can use one of the slots instead.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f..._faq_aux_input

Last edited by KnightmareCS; 01-12-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by zigzag930

ALSO.
Anyone out there figure out a circuit for using aftermarket (NUVI, etc) NAV audio output to connect to MCS head unit? I believe there are 2 or 3 wires. Guessing Audio +/- and some sort of voltage to control the mute of current source and cutover to nav audio.....

Thanks to all
Do you have the HK stereo ? If so just flip thru the options button and see if AUX comes up on the radio screen.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another gratitude to Greatbear post here. I have the non-Nav setup, so it was a piece of cake to reach around behind the downtube and insert the connector by feel, without taking the downtubes or head unit off. The pic in Post #1 made it very helpful to understand exactly where on the back of the head unit the connector fit, and which end was "up."

I ended up mounting the jack on the inboard side of my Euro parcel shelf in almost the exact same position. It's right next to the lighting dimmer **** for my Marshall stepper gauges (I'm finding the shelf sides to be a great place to locate all of these aftermarket switches and *****).

It all works great. Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
my problem is, i have the ipod hooked up to the cd changer input, i want to install the cd changer now, i plugged in the cd changer, it powers up and shuffles, i unplugged the ipod plug, plugged in the cd changer plug at the head unit, display message no magazine, am i missing a something?

thanks for any help, solved my problem had to remove ipod plug and rewire to original cd wiring.

Last edited by miniwheels; 02-21-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
These are great instructions I have been wondering how I could attach my Ipod to the stereo without having to get a new CD player. I am driving an 03S with a stock radio/CD player. Is this what you have? Also, where can I get a Mini Nav system or one that would work and are there installation instructions for a Nav system?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
joelmac
Neutral
Aux Cable Help Needed - Mini Disk

I followed the instructions and installed the OEM AUX cable. It seemed really easy, basically pull the radio out and plug the cable in till it clicked.

However when I click the 'M' button to swap modes it doesn't come up with AUX. It just swaps between Radio and Mini Disk.

The stereo is a Japanesse Mini Disk player. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 PM
NOTDULL
2nd Gear
I Love This Community

I've read through these pages, bought a used Aux Input in the Marketplace, installed in my stock '04 (well the Head Unit is stock) mounted in the Euro Parcel Shelf and low and behold it works as advertised. Thanks to all that have contributed.

Total install time <1hr.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 AM
joelmac
Neutral
Just found out the cable won't work on the Mini Disc unit. So now I've wasted $150 on the cable and $170 to have it installed (and the bad news delivered).

To get a new CD unit costs $1800...Looks like its alpine time.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 AM
ulrichd
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do I understand correctly that this aux jack does not charge the ipod and you can't forward/back songs on the radio controls?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Sullosar
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ulrichd
Do I understand correctly that this aux jack does not charge the ipod and you can't forward/back songs on the radio controls?
That's correct. Going through the Aux cable will not charge, and your radio must handle all of your song selections. You can still use the steering wheel controls for volume.

In order to charge and use the wheel for changing songs you must have an adapter that goes through the ipod dock jack in the bottom. I've seen those for between $90 and $200 depending on how fancy you want.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 AM
tunin
Neutral
Hello everyone, first of all sorry to bump this thread. I've learned allot about my mini from this forum and one of the clicks was the installation of the AUX jack... I have a Euro ver. of the cooper built 2004, I ordered the cable from British American Inc., installed it using this tutorial and everything worked OK... I checked the availability of the AUX and it was there... put everything back.. connected my ipod but no sound.... the AUX is shown on the display and I tested the 3.5 mm cable on another car with the same ipod, all worked but on the mini, nothing. when I crank the volume to the max I hear a strong buzz and that is it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:52 AM
BGA
2nd Gear
Tunin - you should check to make sure your AUX volume is turned up ... i recall that is found by toggling through your sound options (bass, trebble, balance, etc)

good luck

BA

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 AM
tunin
Neutral
Thank you, I didn't know that opt. existed AUX vol. I just checked and it was -5... I changed it to +3 and all works perfectly fine... THANKS A MILLION.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Flamini
1st Gear
I am trying to find that kit and can't find it. has anyone have the link for it? I have an 04 regular head unit. thanks

Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
scottie10014
3rd Gear
Just installed the AUX in kit in my '05 Cooper S

Just installed the AUX in kit in my '05 Cooper S w/built-in navigation. Thanks very much to Greatbear and his amazingly easy to follow instructions (took maybe 30 mins). Don't know what I would've done without them. Sounds is amazing. No more shitty FM transmitters for me.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
cornerseeker
Neutral
Originally Posted by PiercedMini
It is so easy that it should just come standard. I put mine in last night and it took a whole ten minutes including drilling the three holes. Works great but has anyone else noticed that the radio doesn't go as loud with the Aux setting?

And for anyone thinking they need pic's just pull your knee board down below the steering wheel, feel right behind the radio on the side closest to the steering wheel. Plug the plug into that space and drop the cord down behind the radio and pull it through by the cup holders. Mount the plug where ever you want and your done. Push the knee board back up, and listen to your music.
Good advice. I made the job harder than it was by taping the input cable to a hanger wire to push it to the glove box opening on the other side. What a waste of time! Just needed to slide it over the stereo like you said. Thanks everyone for your input, literally.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Anyone know how to connect an HTC EVO to the stock CD player in an 03S? I have looked around and all I see is a dash mount kit. Just want to listen to Pandora over the speakers in my car....

Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
thought I'd jump in to report that i just put one of these cables in my 2003 R50. (Manufacture date 11/2002).

All I had to do was drop the hinged dash panel, reach around to the back of the head unit, stick it in the empty socket and I was good to go. I haven't mounted the jack anywhere yet, I have it poking down through the slots in the small underdash panel. I think I might mount it in this panel as KnightmareCS showed us a few posts back.

The head unit now has an AUX mode complete with an AUX level adjust in the tone control menu which allows you to set the relative volume of the AUX device against the CDp and radio.

I feel like I've joined the 21st century here. Finally have use for the audio storage in my Driod. Also discovered the wonders of Podcasts

Originally Posted by ulrichd
That's right. It's simply a stereo audio input; it doesn't know or care what you plug into it.

Originally Posted by DMBFan2
Anyone know how to connect an HTC EVO to the stock CD player in an 03S? I have looked around and all I see is a dash mount kit. Just want to listen to Pandora over the speakers in my car....
Yes. You'd get one of these cables from OutMotoring and hook it up via your headphone out. I've tried streaming Pandora from my Driod, but the sound quality is too low for me. YMMV. For streaming content, I have to stick to talks.

Last edited by Mynewt; 09-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear

Good Job!

Now I need to find the outmotoring cable and I should be set.!!

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Yes the Aux input cable will allow you to run about anything with aux jack connection.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/auxilia...0-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-24-2011, 06:27 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok so lets discuss this I have an early '02 but I have a CD changer, can I lose the changer for an AUX in?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes the Aux input cable will allow you to run about anything with aux jack connection.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/auxilia...0-r52-r53.html

Nice...... Will have to get one of these. Now I need to find time to install it...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
Ok so lets discuss this I have an early '02 but I have a CD changer, can I lose the changer for an AUX in?
The HU actually supports both a CD changer and Aux-in. Unfortunately for you, the early '02 HU didn't support Aux-in. I think Aug '02 was the earliest build that supports Aux-in.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)