Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)

Old 06-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's true, many people can probably 'feel' their way around the back of the radio and plug in the aux cable. My big hands and arms were a definite no-go! I also had the run-in with the Nav audio plug in the space.

I have just finished installing a power outlet in the shelf, pics to come soon!

Old 06-30-2003, 05:12 AM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely, if you are putting the jack somewhere else or you have a different agenda, taking the console apart is probably the better way to go. I just wanted to present an alternative for those of us that have non-nav minis and are just installing the kit.

Old 06-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Greatbear
I had read where other people just reached behind the deck and felt their way around to plug in the cable. That was the first thing I tried, because, face it, taking the dash tubes out is a pain.

No way was my big old paw cramming back there, and I can usually contort myself into some rather cramped places. Oddly enough, the MINI interior is not as difficult as a few much larger cars to work in.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Chips-O'Toole
2nd Gear
Greatbear, tell us more about installing a power outlet on the shelf?

Old 07-01-2003, 04:12 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
yes, please tell us about power outlet...

Old 07-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Greatbear
Okay, here is a teaser shot while I make the final touches on the installation. I had started to use the wiring that came with the outlet kit that I selected (Radio Shack part# 270-1556) but I decided to make up my own wiring instead The main reason for this is that the RS power outlet came with an inline fuseholder installed midway in the positive lead. This ended up locating the fuseholder under the dash in a really tight spot. Also the fuseholder had an old-school glass cartridge fuse, I wanted to use a blade-style fuse accessible from under the bonnet instead.

I also got a new digital camera and have to reduce the high-res pics down to manageable sizes. The problem is that the PC I am currently using to write this does not have Photoshop on it (instead it's MGI Photosuite...bleahhh). This program makes the reduced pics look grainy and nasty. I will finish up everything this week and post everything in it's glory. In the meantime, this is the installed outlet, without the wiring behind it.

"Earl Grey" - '03 MCS, DS over DS, 17" R85s, NAV, DSC (often turned off!), Packs #1 and #3, Rally lights, etc, etc. Perf Mods by the boatload, on the way! Fulton, MD. FRS 7-21

Let's Get Small!

Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 PM
wmdapple
1st Gear
got a quick question.

I have a portable GARMIN Street Pilot III Nav system.
it has it's own Audio (link to an external speaker/Cig Lighter [for power] connnection.

I am hoping that I can splice this Audio ou tcable and make a input into the NAV input of the Mini radio.

Does the NAV input, on the back of the radio head take this kind of input?

Williamwmd@street-tree.com

Old 07-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Greatbear
If my memory serves, the two lines going into the HU are an audio line and a 'control' line, meaning when the factory Nav system 'talks', the control line gets driven either high or low by a DC signal to mute the current program material and 'connects' the Nav audio into the amplifiers. It's not just a straight audio input. It would not be difficult to make an external circuit that would sense audio and drive the control line accordingly, but not knowing what the levels are without testing things out for myself first I can't make any suggestions.

UPDATE: Being that my past weekend as well as the upcoming week in it's entirety is going to a vacation for me, I won't be able to finish up the new wiring harness and the how-to for the power socket until I get back. All the stuff is sitting on the table in the garage, only thing missing is TIME.

I'll get it all done as soon as I have a free evening or weekend day after vacation (work has been KILLER!).

Old 07-11-2003, 09:15 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
>>If you're just installing the aux cable, there's no need to dissassemble anything in the interior. Pop down the knee bolster by grabbing the top and pulling firmly so it swings from the hinges.
>>I used the zip ties to guesstimate the length to the factory mount for the jack, slid the cable over the top of the radio (can't see back there, have to feel it) and reached behind the glove box and fed the cable to my other hand. Be advised the plastic next to the radio is sharp (I have the marks to prove it) but with a little perserverence, the cable slides right over and you can grab it.
>>Pop the little plastic tab out from the glovebox and you can pull the jack through the hole.
>>I did this yesterday, spent more time drilling the hole for the jack than I did plugging the cable in.

I just installed my parcel shelf and aux kit which I got from Classic MINI too :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 07-12-2003, 05:22 PM
james4513
1st Gear
I just installed the AUX port and Euro Parcel Shelf. Do both jobs together. Once you pop off the knee booster, getting to the back of the head unit is really easy. Just plug the AUX cable into the only socket on the lower left (as see from the front - driver's side). Just snaps in.

i could not get the AUX receptacle where Greatbear placed his due to interference, so I placed at the back of the Parcel Shelf on the right side of the steering column - eash to install after that.

This installation saves pulling the head unit. Took me about an hour - including remounting the receptacle after screwing it up the first time.

My Archos played through the AUX the first time.

Old 07-13-2003, 09:00 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
So I'm installing my Aux jack on my NAV and HK equipped 2003 MC and I start re-wiring the plug like Greatbear instructs, only to discover that instead of two wires from the Nav system like in the pictures I have three. Not a big deal there except one of those three wires goes in a plug that is already occupied on the Aux adapter . After a few choice words directed at MINI, I look closer at the back of the head unit to discover low and behold, a second jack for me to plug into right next to the input for the Nav system.

It appears to be working for me, I've got both the Nav system and the Aux adapter plugged in to their own jacks, I can select Aux on the head unit now, and the audio from the Nav system still plays, even when Aux is selected. Haven't checked anything plugged into the Aux port yet, I thought I had a patch cable but didn't so I need to make a run out.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:27 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Part II, The Test....

Well I grab my Creative Nomad Jukebox it's AC Adapter and my APC auto power adapter, run to Radio Shack to get myself a male-to-male patch cord. Plug everything in, adjust the volume on the Nomad, shift over to AUX on the radio and get music, and this hideous buzzing in the background as well. :evil: :evil: ARGH!!!

Well, I fiddle with stuff for a while, pulling cords, listening to the sound change and then I pull the power adapter from the lighter, POOF no buzzing! Turns out the UNSHIELDED cable (it's got a cloth covering on it, I shoulda seen that from a mile away!) was picking up interference from the power adapter and running it back into the radio. So I can use the Nomad Jukebox on batteries for the time being. Trouble is the Nomad drinks AA's, they last 60 to 90 minutes tops (hey the thing is a good 2 years old), so I either need to come up with an alternate power source or get a new MP3 player (which I don't think the wife will appreciate...)

Old 07-13-2003, 05:39 PM
minitothemax
4th Gear
Anyone, How is the sound level of your Auxiliary device compared to the CD player? My minidisc player is quite attenuated (maybe 15-20 dB). I am going to try and find another extension cable and see if that helps. I was hoping that switching functions would be relatively seamless.

Old 07-13-2003, 05:48 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I noticed the same thing with my MP3 player, even with the Aux level set to 5 I still have to have the volume cranked all the way up, all the EAX functions turned off, and I need to turn the volume up on the radio.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:45 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
I just completed my Parcel Shelf and Aux port install too!

Thanks to GreatBear for the excellent instructions - you made the job easy!

Thanks to Classic Mini for making the ordering process easy!

I mounted my Aux port jack in the back of the parcel shelf on the far left - I omitted the nameplate that says "Auxillary Input" - just didn't seem necessary and it looks cleaner without it. But I left enough room so that I can add that back in for the next owner if necessary. I was listening to my 10gb Archos player on the way to work this morning!

Next step will be to mount the little Archos wired remote control up on the dash just below the nav screen. One of those Velcro dots should do it...

I also like the idea of putting another 12V outlet in there. Have to do that soon as well. Since my car is an 03 I don't have the 12V outlet in the boot either, but that is also in the plans.

Thanks again to all!

Old 07-14-2003, 05:46 PM
minitothemax
4th Gear
I think the introduction of the AUX cable has sparked a Euro shelf buying frenzy

Old 07-15-2003, 04:27 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Heck I'm now considering buying one!

Old 07-15-2003, 09:21 AM
letsmotor
4th Gear
>>I think the introduction of the AUX cable has sparked a Euro shelf buying frenzy :smile:

Old 07-15-2003, 10:13 AM
jcallen
1st Gear
Is there a link to Classic Mini for the Aux adapter and/or the parcel shelf?

If not, what are the prices and how to order?

Old 07-15-2003, 11:24 AM
minitothemax
4th Gear
Here is a link to Classic Auto Campus with AUX input info. Classiic MINI

They also have info. on the Euro parcel shelf in the vendor announcements forum.

Old 07-20-2003, 08:17 AM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
Went to Ohio from Maryland last week and ran our new Jukebox Zen the whole way. 9 hours straight on the battery and it didn't quit till the next day when I turned it on cruising around town. 90 minutes on AA's sounds like it sucks.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Chips-O'Toole
2nd Gear
to everyone who offered up how-tos, comments, suggestions, and general know-how about the parcel shelf and the aux audio cable- THANKS! I installed it last night, with only a few troubles (due to my lack of handiness) and can't wait to hook up my Skyfi tonight.

This board is a lifesaver, from the ordering process, info (like the shelf) and everything from then on. I appreciate this community, and hope everyone else does, too.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:09 PM
chefrichie
4th Gear
I must join the chorus of thank yous...ordered my shelf and adapter today from classic (awesome experience) and will install early next week. Thanks for the advice and looking forward to iPod nirvana (the state of being...not the band )

Old 08-02-2003, 07:53 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
OK, I'm totally not mechanical, and stuff. Very bad with my hands (when it comes to automotive projects, that is )

Got my Aux Input today, and began the install. First was to find a place to put it. Cake!! Removed a piece from under the center console (ya know, with the toggles), and cut out a little hole for the plug. Removed the knee bolster (really easy, just grab and pull, pull, pull). I then tried to remove the columns in the center to no avail, tried to jimmy out the stero, to no avail, and decided to see if I could go without. Was really really easy, first try, found the jack, plugged it in, done! Fished the cable down, finished!!

Just had to put back everything I removed for no reason.

All in all, a 15 minute job, if you don't make it too difficult on yourself, and don't have a NAV/CD Changer.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 PM
mikedubin
Neutral
This is a bit random, but I have an aux input in place, it is a home made wire, but it is exactly like the now available mini made one... my next project is attempting to install a bluetooth hands free kit, I have been looking at posts on other boards and it appears that the additional mute kit requires pins to be plugged into the back of the head unit, are these spaces that I may already be using for the AUX input? does anyone know about installing one of these (HCB-30), please let me know you can email me as well, mike@fadeawayrecords.com

thanks for your help, sorry if this is a dumb question
mike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)