Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Installing Speakers + Amp and Warranty Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Straius
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Speakers + Amp and Warranty Concerns

I just talked to my dealership about this and they mentioned that the modification to the car could be considered an electrical change and that I might be at risk for voiding a warranty if I were to have a stereo installed (or installed it myself).

I'd be installing Polk SR5250 5 1/4" in a component configuration and an Amplifier.

Has anyone ever had trouble with their warranty because they installed speakers?

Old 09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have just anyone install your amp. If they cut the wrong wire it'll cost thousands to repair (literally). Make sure they have experience with BMWs or MINIs before you let them touch it.

If the installer causes a problem it will NOT be covered under warranty.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Straius
2nd Gear
I didn't think that there would be any required cutting of wires to install the amp.

I'm probably going to install it myself. After reading some posts about it, the tutorials here and some other reading I've done online, it doesn't seem all that bad to replace the front speakers.

Why would you need to cut any wires though?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 PM
jimsevo8
2nd Gear
I think the biggest thing is putting a mounting screw through a wiring harness or other expensive component. Also, if you take power from the wrong place (say a fuel pump fuse--don't laugh, I have seen it), or tap into the CAN bus wires you can do some major damage.

Be careful about putting the 5 1/4" speakers in the doors. You'll need adapters. The openings are bigger than the 5 1/4" Polks I just tried to install. I finally changed my mind and am going to get a 6.5" speaker. The diameter of the opening is about 5.5".

Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Straius
I didn't think that there would be any required cutting of wires to install the amp.

I'm probably going to install it myself. After reading some posts about it, the tutorials here and some other reading I've done online, it doesn't seem all that bad to replace the front speakers.

Why would you need to cut any wires though?
Some shops will take short cuts. If they need a power wire to turn on the amp they'll look for a hot wire with the key on and tie into that. If it's one of the CAN wires they splice into then you are screwed.

I've seen it happen.

Replacing the front speakers is easy. Adding an amp is not for the unskilled. The sticky has all the info you'd need though. several speaker wires would need to be cut.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Straius
2nd Gear
Cool, thanks guys. Information is always priceless

I'll just take my time with it and not rush anything. I'm pretty good with stuff like this so I'd probably do a good job on my own.

Thanks again!

Replacing the rear speakers still scares me though. hehe

Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
matty125
5th Gear
I bought a line level converter, tied it in to my rear channels. Finding a remote turn on is another prob. Let me know when you find one!!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:27 PM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
I can supply a plug & p[lay loom where you can pick up the speaker wires & turn on wire without cutting/splicing any factory wires
All you then need to do is run the hot wire to the battery

Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 PM
alanseviltwin
Neutral
What about adding an amp and subwoofer to the system? My receiver has already been replaced with an Kenwood MP3 player, and I was thinking of adding a JL Audio Stealthbox and amp to the back end. Just wondering if there are the same type of issues with electrical. Wiring should be very easy since my R53 has a rear mounted battery.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimsevo8
I think the biggest thing is putting a mounting screw through a wiring harness or other expensive component. Also, if you take power from the wrong place (say a fuel pump fuse--don't laugh, I have seen it), or tap into the CAN bus wires you can do some major damage.

Be careful about putting the 5 1/4" speakers in the doors. You'll need adapters. The openings are bigger than the 5 1/4" Polks I just tried to install. I finally changed my mind and am going to get a 6.5" speaker. The diameter of the opening is about 5.5".

What's a CAN bus wire?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Straius
I just talked to my dealership about this and they mentioned that the modification to the car could be considered an electrical change and that I might be at risk for voiding a warranty if I were to have a stereo installed (or installed it myself).
I hate to chime in on such an old thread, but since the thread has been resurrected anyway AND this is an important topic.....I'll add to it for the sake of anyone who may find it later in a search.....

What the dealer told the original poster is just plain false. The Magnusson-Moss Warrant Act of 1975 makes it illegal for any manufacturer or dealer to void a warranty due to any aftermarket part or modification unless they can prove that the part or mod caused the issue resulting in the warranty claim. Even then, they can only deny coverage for problems resulting specifically from the the aftermarket part or mod - all other claims are still valid.

Now, if you have someone who doesn't know what they are doing install an amplifier and they damage something, you are out of luck warranty-wise for anything that they damaged. So be careful - only install quality parts from reliable suppliers, and only hire reputable firms to work on your vehicle.

If a dealer ever gives you undeserved trouble regarding a warranty, ask to speak to the service manager and refer them to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty act. If that fails, contact the FTC and your state's attorney general (most states have similar laws).

Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Integral Audio
I

Now, if you have someone who doesn't know what they are doing install an amplifier and they damage something, you are out of luck warranty-wise for anything that they damaged. So be careful - only install quality parts from reliable suppliers, and only hire reputable firms to work on your vehicle.

If a dealer ever gives you undeserved trouble regarding a warranty, ask to speak to the service manager and refer them to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty act. If that fails, contact the FTC and your state's attorney general (most states have similar laws).

while true, good luck fighting the dealer. It's much easier said in a forum than done in real life.

Also - if someone does actually cut a wrong wire somewhere - you could potentially have to replace the wiring harness in the car - at an expense of several thousand dollars out of pocket. So yep, only let a reputable installer work on your system! If you do the work yourself, avoid cutting any wires.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 PM
gdclnfn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
If you do the work yourself, avoid cutting any wires.
Absolutely agree. I just finished my upgrade (for now) using BMW/MINI parts to create my own loom (thanks TomFarin) to cleanly connect at the x9331 connector. The only wires that were cut were the factory speaker wires right at the speaker terminal in the doors. I doubt very highly that the dealer could pin me for causing any warranty violations.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
while true, good luck fighting the dealer. It's much easier said in a forum than done in real life.
In other situations, I would agree - an individual is at a significant disadvantage fighting a large company, and it often isn't worth the trouble. However, in this case the law is clear, well established, and is written strongly in favor of the consumer. I've never encountered a dealer with management that wasn't well aware of the law, and well aware of the consequences of violating it. If you are in the right, and you make the dealer aware that you understand your rights, only a very foolish dealer will fight you on it.

Also - if someone does actually cut a wrong wire somewhere - you could potentially have to replace the wiring harness in the car - at an expense of several thousand dollars out of pocket. So yep, only let a reputable installer work on your system! If you do the work yourself, avoid cutting any wires.
That certainly bears repeating....