Mid-Atlantic Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania

Using European License Plates In Virginia

Old 04-09-2003, 05:55 PM
MiniLuvr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All-

Am thinking about ordering a front European vanity plate for my MINI once it arrives later this year. I'd like to order it from http://www.minisales.co.uk/, and would design it to match the Virginia plate number on the back. Does anyone know Virgina law in terms of whether this would be permissable or not?

Old 04-09-2003, 05:59 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I live in Colorado, so it might be different but I have seen that done, and we do need both front and rear license plates. I have seen it a few times, and they were all on BMW's, and I think it would be a neat thing to do, as long as you dont get in trouble for it.

Old 04-09-2003, 06:06 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
>>Hi All-
>>
>>Am thinking about ordering a front European vanity plate for my MINI once it arrives later this year. I'd like to order it from http://www.minisales.co.uk/, and would design it to match the Virginia plate number on the back. Does anyone know Virgina law in terms of whether this would be permissable or not?

Welcome to MCO, MiniLuvr!!

There are a lot of threads about this topic around here. I am also considering a euro front plate and live in VA. (where are you getting your MINI from, when you order?)

I have heard so many different angles to the euro plates, that I have no idea what's right or not. I know in VA you're supposed to have a front plate (euros don't count) but do not know how much it is enforced and if they can pull you over for just that and nothing else. I was coming home from school the other day and saw a sweet new Lotus that had a euro plate on the front. Might just come down to trying not to get caught..

once i get some time, i might look into it more..

ryan

Old 04-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Aloha, and welcome to MCO, MiniLuvr

I think all states requiring rear and front plates has to be US spec and meet state design requirements ( same front and rear plates)

Here in Hawaii, front plates are also required but I'm taking my chances with these;

My Hawaiian state issued plate also has "MINIAC"

MINIhune:'03 MC VR/VR

Old 04-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Lots of states don't require front plates. I think CT is one of them. Most of my friends that live in VA and have Camaros have either removed their front plates or relocated them to the front air dam.

They have never been pulled over so you could try it and find out.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:40 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MiniLuvr - - - The European plates are NOT legal in Virginia - however - many people have them on their cars :smile: So it's up to you if you want to run the risk of paying a fine if you get pulled over.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:31 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I live in VA, ordered plates from Framptons too, he ships fast, and good quality too.

If you do it, make sure you get the frame for the plate as well, that way you don't have to drill either the plates or the bumper to mount the plate.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
Neutral
Legality

In Virginia the law reads that you have to have both your front and rear plates mounted to the respective areas on the vehicles. There is no real loophole without subjecting yourself to fines. The fine is only $50 I believe and I have seen it enforced too much. I want to do it but being a state trooper its frowned upon to break the law lol