JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Strange jump in RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 AM
D4RTH
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange jump in RPM

Hi everyone,
I own a 2012 R58 JCW and have notice recently that if I am cruising in anywhere from 3-6 gear and floor the car around 2300-3000 rpm I get an odd (very quick) jump in rpms. Its as if you try to accelerate on a patch of ice (not quite as extreme but a similar spinning feeling without the car accelerating any faster).

Ive also noticed that if I accelerate in 5th or 6th with the cruise control on and I get this jump in rpms, my cruise control will shut off and not return to the speed I had set it at before accelerating.

I have no check engine lights on, no strange rattles, ticks or any sounds so Im a bit perplexed. Any info would be great!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by D4RTH
Hi everyone,
I own a 2012 R58 JCW and have notice recently that if I am cruising in anywhere from 3-6 gear and floor the car around 2300-3000 rpm I get an odd (very quick) jump in rpms. Its as if you try to accelerate on a patch of ice (not quite as extreme but a similar spinning feeling without the car accelerating any faster).

Ive also noticed that if I accelerate in 5th or 6th with the cruise control on and I get this jump in rpms, my cruise control will shut off and not return to the speed I had set it at before accelerating.

I have no check engine lights on, no strange rattles, ticks or any sounds so Im a bit perplexed. Any info would be great!

Seems a clutch problem to me.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Seems a clutch problem to me.
+1 probably clutch going bad