JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Just scored an 06 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:45 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Very nice find! Welcome to the JCW (and even more exclusive MINI 7 interior, haha) club!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I ordered a stainless steel header with cat. I did not have time to shop it thoroughly, as I need to get it out of my shop sooner than later.
Have ordered a stock passenger side motor mount for now, as timing is most important for me right now.
I am busy right now, so I will just get it drive-able for now.
I also need tires right away, as the fronts are shot and the rears are close also.
The car is in really good shape otherwise and I know fun times are ahead with it. I need to drive it a bit, before it can earn a name!LOL

Old 01-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Check the strut towers. You may have some reinforcement plates under the tower but they change the camber.

Nice clean looking engine compartment. You may have a new condenser as the stock stickers do not appear to be there.

Check the oil dip stick, it is fiberglass and over time they crack. Don't want it to brake off while you are pulling out.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 AM
ItsmeWayne
Thanks R53coop,
Yes it still has the crap dipstick, which needs replacing. It s in good shape right now, but you know what can happen to it at any time!

It may have a new condenser, as the hoses to it are new also. I am not sure why the AC is not working, but the clutch is suspect. I have not had time to check it out yet.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:18 AM
ItsmeWayne
Hi gang,
I received the new stainless header, but decided not to use it. Maybe some time down the road! I am fixing the header that was on it. It is very restrictive and I am sure is an absolute power robber, but it is winter and I can deal with that in the spring!
I have also ordered tires 215/45R17 which are on it now and the door sticker shows that as stock size.
The front rotors are new, but not slotted and I am not sure what compound the pads are, so they will have to go soon too!
The rear rotors are not slotted either and they are quite worn, so they will have to go also!
It has new steering, but I am going to have to look at all of the suspension bits to see it they are tight and good. My shop is 31' X 60 feet an is not heated yet, so that is on the list too along with a two post lift. It's cold in there during our 100 year record brutal winter here in southern Oregon.
What do you guys think about adding a Sprint booster?
I really love this car and want it right for this spring, as spring, summer and fall are all driving months here.
I am thinking that this Mini s JCW will be my keeper for a long time to come.
I am looking forward to Mini Mania' 2017

Mini Mania 2016

What a great turnout!
So much to do and so little time!

inside my shop doors on both ends

My nice little shop 32 X60

Old 01-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
On the ac it could be the coil or the low speed fan. With the 06 there is a very inexpensive repair for the AC resistor. There is a thread here on it. If the low speed fan is not working, the ac will not work. It overheats and dumps the freon. Once the fan starts working you normally need to add some freon via the low pressure port to get the compressor going again.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 AM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by r53coop
On the ac it could be the coil or the low speed fan. With the 06 there is a very inexpensive repair for the AC resistor. There is a thread here on it. If the low speed fan is not working, the ac will not work. It overheats and dumps the freon. Once the fan starts working you normally need to add some freon via the low pressure port to get the compressor going again.
Hi r53coop,
I have not gotten to the AC yet, as I have to get the header in, when it gets back from the welder/fab shop.
Thanks for the AC tips, as I will be getting to that soon!

On another note, I found that the window washer tank is leaking and I will need to find a replacement for that. While I have the wheels off, I might as well take out the passenger side inner wheel mud shield and take out the damaged tank! So much work and so little time!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 01-22-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Which tires did you decide on? I'm on my second set of BF goodrich g-force sport comp-2's and I love them for summer driving. I have them on a set of OEM 17 inch wheels, in the stock size. They have tons of grip, good rain grip, last a decent number of miles, and they're only about $105 a tire.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 PM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Racingguy04,
The stock size for this car is 215/45ZR17. I did not have time to find the best tires, so I got a set of Falken tires for now (less dollars for tires that will not be on for long) as it is winter here and I will most likely get summer tires when the time is right. Lots of twisties here, so need to find a grippy summer tire.
I have summer tires on my 05 S and they were hell in the rain and impossible in the snow.

Falken Azenis FK450 A/S
A responsive, ultra-high performance tire with reliable all-season traction.

On another note, I removed the passenger inner fender and found the washer hose had fallen off, sothe fix was cheap and easy.

I am leaning towards these for summer tires:
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Review

Bottom Line Those who love to drive also love to customize their experience to the seasons. In summer, that means a top performing summer tire like the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. With track-worthy handling and high scores for comfort and noise, this is the tire to pick for maximum driving pleasure and performance. On the downside, there's no treadwear warranty and tread life tends to be short.
Pros
  • Excellent grip
  • Comfortable; quiet
  • Track-worthy handling
  • Good traction on wet roads

Cons
  • No tread warranty
  • Shorter tread life

They seem to hit all my buttons, but I am open to suggestions. I ran Dunlop summer tires on my 05 S and really liked them. Note: no dammed run flats!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 01-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:42 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by r53coop
Check the strut towers. You may have some reinforcement plates under the tower but they change the camber.

Nice clean looking engine compartment. You may have a new condenser as the stock stickers do not appear to be there.

Check the oil dip stick, it is fiberglass and over time they crack. Don't want it to brake off while you are pulling out.
Hi R53coop,
I took off the coil and it was a OEM coil!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
"Little shop" Ha. Nice set up.

The RE-11 is a nice tire, my buddy runs them on his track prepped S2000. Extreme summer performance is an accurate label, they will get very slick very quickly in cold weather.

I ran Federal 595 RS-Rs on my Miata and was very pleased with the performance against the cost.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 PM
ItsmeWayne
Light weight rims are on my list for summer tires. Anyone have any knowledge on what selection s out there?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:41 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
What size are you looking for? For 17's Enkei RPF1 or PF01's, and OZ Alleggerita or Ultraleggera's. BBS RGR's and Enkei RSM9's are on the more expensive side, especially the BBS's at $550 each.

An inexpensive lightweight 17 that recently caught my eye are the Advanti Storm S1 17. They have two different offsets available in 17x7, are listed at 14 lbs., and are only $184 each. What kept me from buying a set is I never thought of Advanti as a performance wheel company so I don't know what kind of quality they are. I'm still waiting to see some reviews on them.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:02 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
What size are you looking for? For 17's Enkei RPF1 or PF01's, and OZ Alleggerita or Ultraleggera's. BBS RGR's and Enkei RSM9's are on the more expensive side, especially the BBS's at $550 each.

An inexpensive lightweight 17 that recently caught my eye are the Advanti Storm S1 17. They have two different offsets available in 17x7, are listed at 14 lbs., and are only $184 each. What kept me from buying a set is I never thought of Advanti as a performance wheel company so I don't know what kind of quality they are. I'm still waiting to see some reviews on them.
Thanks RB-Mini,
I will look into these, but I need them to be cost effective, as I am not racing this car.
Maybe used will have to do, but I want light weight good looking rims!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:32 AM
ItsmeWayne
For the second time this winter, I got pounded with snow again. (usually max of 1 to 2 inches) We got another foot and a half of snow. It caught my two Minis out in it, as I was working on a couple of other cars in my shop.

Wasn't expecting this in March

Old 03-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Silly question, but are you sure the stock tire size is 215/45/17? On my 2004 JCW I'm pretty sure its 205/45/17 - the Discount Tire website says an 06 JCW needs 205/45/17 . . the same as my 04 S

On a separate note, after 6 years of driving R53's I finally got my first wave from another Mini owner this morning . . we had a nice little jaunt across 520 in the morning commute . . two JCW's zipping in and out of traffic!!

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi Racingguy04,
The stock size for this car is 215/45ZR17. I did not have time to find the best tires, so I got a set of Falken tires for now (less dollars for tires that will not be on for long) as it is winter here and I will most likely get summer tires when the time is right. Lots of twisties here, so need to find a grippy summer tire.
I have summer tires on my 05 S and they were hell in the rain and impossible in the snow.

Falken Azenis FK450 A/S
A responsive, ultra-high performance tire with reliable all-season traction.

On another note, I removed the passenger inner fender and found the washer hose had fallen off, sothe fix was cheap and easy.

I am leaning towards these for summer tires:
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Review

Bottom Line Those who love to drive also love to customize their experience to the seasons. In summer, that means a top performing summer tire like the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. With track-worthy handling and high scores for comfort and noise, this is the tire to pick for maximum driving pleasure and performance. On the downside, there's no treadwear warranty and tread life tends to be short.
Pros
  • Excellent grip
  • Comfortable; quiet
  • Track-worthy handling
  • Good traction on wet roads

Cons
  • No tread warranty
  • Shorter tread life

They seem to hit all my buttons, but I am open to suggestions. I ran Dunlop summer tires on my 05 S and really liked them. Note: no dammed run flats!

Last edited by Noonzio; 03-08-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
For the second time this winter, I got pounded with snow again. (usually max of 1 to 2 inches) We got another foot and a half of snow. It caught my two Minis out in it, as I was working on a couple of other cars in my shop.

Wasn't expecting this in March
Yikes, yea we may get some here in the next day or two. Been very mild so far.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yikes, yea we may get some here in the next day or two. Been very mild so far.
Then it's coming our way. Rode a motorcycle to work today, tomorrow it'll be the truck because it'll be snowing. This winter has been wild.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Gang,
I have been so busy fixing other Minis for sale, that I have had no time to fix my JCW. I have several new parts, but no time to get them in.
My fan and AC are not working, as the fan is not working at all. I have a new resistor to install, but I think the fan is also dead. I will also put in a new all aluminum radiator, new valve cover gasket, will check the valve lash and cam lobes. Check the chain tension and hopefully check the valve guide slop. I will redo the head during next winter (I have have noticed a little white smoke on start up, when it is cold), so I hope it hangs in there until then. I have a bunch of driving planned for the summer, so I don't want to get deep into it now!
Today I got a call from a guy interested in my 05 S BRG Mini S, so I will not have a good back up, most likely. (until I buy another)

Time flys when you are having fun, but I need to get my Mini going, before Mini Mania event in June! Hop to see you there!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:50 AM
ItsmeWayne
I started the air con refurbish and the installation of an all aluminum radiator. I think maybe a new filler tank should be done also, but have not got this item yet.

What a dirty mess!

one of the new parts

I think I will also replace the idler pulley set up, while it is easy to change.

I have to stop for a day, so other than starting to clean and remove old compressor, I still have lots to do, before I get it back together.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 AM
ItsmeWayne
Slowly moving ahead, as I have sold three cars and people are coming to get them on my Saturday, which was for me to get most of the work on mine done, in respect to the air conditioning repair and all aluminum radiator install.
I did get the compressor, dryer tank and new o-rings installed and the radiator in the frame.

Hopefully, I will get it all done soon!

Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I have to do my a/c pump also here, it finally gave out at 270K miles. The main Fan is ok and so is my P/S fan.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I have to do my a/c pump also here, it finally gave out at 270K miles. The main Fan is ok and so is my P/S fan.

So I have another 100k before my A/C pump goes out, lol. Thats good service right there.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:19 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I was just lucky with mine, I was surprised it lasted that long. lol But I did not use it much. Just a couple times a year.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 PM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Gang,
I got her all back together. I am still waiting on the adjuster pulley, but Mini Mania is coming up soon, so I got the new AC working and the car driving. I will slip the new belt tensioner in when it comes in.
The new cam position sensor, shut off the three lights and now it starts and runs really smooth. I also replaced the crank sensor O-ring, which was leaking.
Installed the new all aluminum radiator and the aluminum overflow tank.
Re-bled the brakes and added a Zippee shades on the pano roof windows. Installed a new set of OEM "S" floor mats.

So, for now, I am about ready for my trip down to Nevada City, Ca. I have another couple driving down in another Mini. Anyone else want to ride with us?
Mini Mania even June 24 2017 and we will leave on the morning of the 23rd.
Hope to see you there!
Itsme Wayne

Quick Reply: Just scored an 06 JCW