JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Engine failure

Old 12-15-2016, 06:26 AM
scottrn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine failure

This is almost a heretical question, I know, but I have to ask. Timing chain failure ate my '09 JCW's engine. I know it snapped the cog off of the exhaust cam so I'm thinking the worst. Can't afford a $10k engine. Would it be possible to swap in a regular S junkyard engine rather than the JCW? I'm thinking if I can do that to get it rolling the JCW engine might be a long term project for me and my teenaged son to do a shade-tree rebuild.

Am I delusional?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:54 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by scottrn
This is almost a heretical question, I know, but I have to ask. Timing chain failure ate my '09 JCW's engine. I know it snapped the cog off of the exhaust cam so I'm thinking the worst. Can't afford a $10k engine. Would it be possible to swap in a regular S junkyard engine rather than the JCW? I'm thinking if I can do that to get it rolling the JCW engine might be a long term project for me and my teenaged son to do a shade-tree rebuild.

Am I delusional?
I haven't tried a swap like this, but I'm pretty sure you'll need new software for the ECU, and probably some new harnesses. There are other options, like a new or re-built short block and maybe a head if the original was damaged. Should still be a fun project, and lots less expensive, but wouldn't "get it rolling" nearly as soon as a swap.

If the only other damage (besides the chain stuff) is a broken exhaust cam, that's relatively easy to fix. Are you sure the engine is shot --- will you share the damage list?

Old 12-16-2016, 05:41 PM
scottrn
Neutral
I'm really not sure. The repair shop, one of those that waxes their floors and has sparkling water coming out of its water fountain, at first hit me up for $800 for a faulty starter motor - which I think we can all agree wasn't the problem - before they told me about the timing chain. They wouldn't touch it for less than $10k. I've seen conflicting evidence about wether this is a non-interference engine.

Any good words from anyone on the subject?

Old 12-16-2016, 06:42 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm really not sure. The repair shop, one of those that waxes their floors and has sparkling water coming out of its water fountain, at first hit me up for $800 for a faulty starter motor - which I think we can all agree wasn't the problem - before they told me about the timing chain. They wouldn't touch it for less than $10k. I've seen conflicting evidence about wether this is a non-interference engine.

As a 2009, you have a money pit and the shop seems a serious business that needs to investigate more and will not do it for free. Their message is clear.

Spend a few hundred bucks and let them have a clear picture.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:37 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd pay these guys their "diagnostic" fees, and anything else you deem legitimate, then get the car towed to a shop that has Mini experience. Hope you didn't OK the starter replacement. There are some shops that will do an engine swap for lots less, with dealer parts --- might be worth shipping the car to someone.

Then too, like dube says, you seem to have fallen into the money pit. Might be time to cut your immediate losses and find a less exciting daily driver.

I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my engine, currently waiting for a few extra valve lifters to "make solid out of hydraulics" --- with the intent to measure piston-to-valve clearance --- cams rotated 5 - 15deg before and after TDC. I'm doing this because of custom pistons and hi-lift cams, and the cam mfgr warns that they will interfere if not installed properly. Based on this 3rd party info, it's quite likely that there will be some interference when the chain breaks.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
It's absolutely an interference engine.

Have the car towed to a shop that has MINI experience if you can. Where are you located?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 AM
scottrn
Neutral
Bloomington indiana

Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
I recently rebuilt a fellow NAM's car out in IL. he was told all kind of stories like the chain broke, the engine is seized, block is damaged, yata yata yata...After I got the car and removed the valve cover, it was apparent that the chain did not break. because of vacuum pump failure, the exhaust sprocket bolt snapped and chain and sprocket got jammed the engine. and the valves did not seem to be hurt but we replaced them anyway.

with him shipping the car over to PA from IL and parts and labor (my humble work ) his bill was around 2500 installed.

I got another Fellow NAM from MD that i'm currently rebuilding his car. Only issue was the piston got chipped and damaged the block and scored all the bearings. Parts and labor will run him close to 3k installed.

Moral of the story, use an 8mm and 10mm to remove the valve cover and see what is the deal. if the chain only ate the engine, you can replace the bottom half of the short block and the valves.

JCW and S models have the same engine N14 but a bigger turbo (i was told).

Old 12-19-2016, 09:31 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
"JCW and S models have the same engine N14 but a bigger turbo (i was told)."

I think that's correct. The N-18 JCW engine is different than MCS different turbo too.

Search this Thread