JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW OEM Factory Maintenance .......

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
OEM Factory Maintenance .......

I have to plan ahead of time for scheduled maintenance because going to Seattle is time consuming. I will be at about 27K and it will be time for the 10K oil change.

In same time, they have some trim parts to install from my previous visit going back 7 months ago and I am aware they will need several days.

I am wondering what are the inspections that will be performed and if there is anything not covered. This will be the 3rd service from new.

I am still under the 3y/36K until July 2017.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:05 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
I have to plan ahead of time for scheduled maintenance because going to Seattle is time consuming. I will be at about 27K and it will be time for the 10K oil change.

In same time, they have some trim parts to install from my previous visit going back 7 months ago and I am aware they will need several days.

I am wondering what are the inspections that will be performed and if there is anything not covered. This will be the 3rd service from new.

I am still under the 3y/36K until July 2017.
C'mon....... nobody knows what is supposed to be done at the 3rd inspection and oil change (or 30K service maintenance)?

Today, I checked the engine oil for the 1st time in 6 months. No need to top up and it is clean. It is about 7.5K since the last oil change.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:00 PM
minirab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've been on this forum for awhile, not checking your oil level in six months, that's

like the Russian roulette scene in The Deer Hunter!

Old 10-29-2016, 06:02 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
You've been on this forum for awhile, not checking your oil level in six months, that's

like the Russian roulette scene in The Deer Hunter!
I don't drive in severe conditions and my car has never been abused. It never leaked or burned oil before so I don't see any reason why I should paranoid.

It was just about time to take a look and see.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:33 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
The dealer reads the key to see if maintenance is due. They wont do anything until the car says its time unless you mention something.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:19 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
The dealer reads the key to see if maintenance is due. They wont do anything until the car says its time unless you mention something.
This is not the point.

Independent shops don't have key readers. They have to rely on some information source to know what to inspect and replace. Again, where is it coming from?

I asked the same question many times.

Since most Mini owners don't seem to go to the dealership for maintenance and many are doing their own, the data and specs have to come from somewhere.

It has always amazed me that nobody and even the vendors here have no answer.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:22 PM
yesti
5th Gear
you change what needs changing. everything else is preventative maintenance. if you have 30k miles i'd suggest changing at least the spark plugs (esp since you have the JB+). your thermostat and water pump may be on their last legs so you can change those out too if you have time/money. while you're at it, change the water pump friction wheel and the water pump tube. other than that, motor on!!! :D

Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
you change what needs changing. everything else is preventative maintenance. if you have 30k miles i'd suggest changing at least the spark plugs (esp since you have the JB+). your thermostat and water pump may be on their last legs so you can change those out too if you have time/money. while you're at it, change the water pump friction wheel and the water pump tube. other than that, motor on!!! :D
LOL....... You don't know what you are talking about and off track on the subject.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:42 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Are you going dealer or independent shop? Call them and ask what they are going to do before driving there. What is 'the subject'?

Last edited by yesti; 10-30-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I haven't looked at it for quite awhile, but I'm pretty sure the owners manual has a section on maintenance intervals, and what should be done.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is what I've got so far from the dealer in my country:
Note: all service were done annually (time based) and not on mileage basis.

1st service: oil, oil filter, wiper blades, wiper fluid concentrate.

2nd service: oil, oil filter, wiper blades, wiper fluid concentrate, air filter, cabin filter.

3rd service coming up: same as 1st service plus brake fluid change.

So if you're doing your third service it would just be normal oil change plus the brake fluid change if it's already 36 months old. Dealer didn't mention any special inspections unlike my previous BMWs.
Just like you said no need to worry about oil level too much, the DME is so smart it would tell you when the oil is low, plus the B48/46 doesn't seem to burn much oil at all.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:47 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BadakVT
....no need to worry about oil level too much, the DME is so smart it would tell you when the oil is low, plus the B48/46 doesn't seem to burn much oil at all.
Absolutely not true....please do not count on your car to tell you that your oil level is low. The warning only kicks in when your oil pressure is low and by then your oil level is more than a quart low. This is true of the F-chassis cars as well. The new engines aren't as thirsty as the 2nd gen engines, but I have had to put in about 2 quarts over 3 times in the last 17k miles. CHECK YOUR OIL AND CHECK IT OFTEN!

Old 10-31-2016, 06:21 PM
yesti
5th Gear
The OP has a '13 so N18 engine. I installed speed bleeders for the brake fluid changes but I don't know what I'm talking about lmao. No good deed with some people.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:57 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BadakVT
This is what I've got so far from the dealer in my country:
Note: all service were done annually (time based) and not on mileage basis.

1st service: oil, oil filter, wiper blades, wiper fluid concentrate.

2nd service: oil, oil filter, wiper blades, wiper fluid concentrate, air filter, cabin filter.

3rd service coming up: same as 1st service plus brake fluid change.

So if you're doing your third service it would just be normal oil change plus the brake fluid change if it's already 36 months old. Dealer didn't mention any special inspections unlike my previous BMWs.
Just like you said no need to worry about oil level too much, the DME is so smart it would tell you when the oil is low, plus the B48/46 doesn't seem to burn much oil at all.
Thanks for your reply.

I looked at the previous service tickets and they also replaced spark plugs every time but never the cabin filter.

Does anybody know what is the standard inspection check list when you go for service and do you have a print out?

I never received anything.