JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 2011 Mini Cooper JCW Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:13 AM
ekinoks
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mini Cooper JCW Questions

Hi all,

I am looking forward to owning my first mini. Quite excited. I was first planning to buy mini cooper s, however, after seeing the jcw I am kind of impressed wit the driving experience. I am considering to buy white body and roof 2011 Mini Cooper JCW at 101k miles fully loaded except navigation. Asking price is $10.5k. I checked that is a factory jcw.
I'd like to get the opinions of you experienced mini veterans. Would high mileage on these car can be problem?
Thank you all

Old 09-01-2016, 03:40 PM
MarkUSAF
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ekinoks
Hi all, I am looking forward to owning my first mini. Quite excited. I was first planning to buy mini cooper s, however, after seeing the jcw I am kind of impressed wit the driving experience. I am considering to buy white body and roof 2011 Mini Cooper JCW at 101k miles fully loaded except navigation. Asking price is $10.5k. I checked that is a factory jcw. I'd like to get the opinions of you experienced mini veterans. Would high mileage on these car can be problem? Thank you all
I have a 2011 JCW and love it. That being said, That is a lot of miles. It really depends on the maintenance history so ask for that information. Ask for a Carfax it may show some maintenance history too. Take it to a Mini dealer for an pre purchase inspection before you make the deal. They can also tell you if the car was serviced by a mini dealer and about any open recalls. Also do a forum search on the N14 engine. The most common issue is the timing chain.

Good luck

Old 09-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I think you are better off buying a 2011 S model with N18 engine, less money and miles. If you need more umph go for a $500 Manic tune or JB+.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Hi all,

I am looking forward to owning my first mini. Quite excited. I was first planning to buy mini cooper s, however, after seeing the jcw I am kind of impressed wit the driving experience. I am considering to buy white body and roof 2011 Mini Cooper JCW at 101k miles fully loaded except navigation. Asking price is $10.5k. I checked that is a factory jcw.
I'd like to get the opinions of you experienced mini veterans. Would high mileage on these car can be problem?
Thank you all
Too much mileage for a Mini and this could be a money pit.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:53 AM
ekinoks
Neutral
Thank you guys all, great advices and tips.
Apparently the car has problems, owner does not let me to see it. It has broken antenna and windshield. It may have had an accident.

Anyway, I bought a loaded dark blue 2010 Mini Cooper S yesterday, it was quite a deal, left me room for tuning. I'll check out tuning options.
Now, I have a MINI too.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:48 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Congrats! With a couple bolt ons and a manic tune the S can be faster than the JCW. Check out manic tune, it seems to be the go-to for ECU tunes in this community nowadays.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:18 PM
MarkUSAF
1st Gear
Thank you guys all, great advices and tips. Apparently the car has problems, owner does not let me to see it. It has broken antenna and windshield. It may have had an accident. Anyway, I bought a loaded dark blue 2010 Mini Cooper S yesterday, it was quite a deal, left me room for tuning. I'll check out tuning options. Now, I have a MINI too.
Good call...red flags everywhere.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 PM
JCdubGerm
2nd Gear
100k on a MINI is alot. Especially an n14 motor. Only way I would get a mini with an n14 is if it were low mileage and I was on top of everything. Like I just did. Bought my n14 jcw with 16k miles recently. To be very honest having worked on MINIs for years now Doing your oil change every 5k instead of the normal 9k will keep ALOT of problems from happening. At least topping off your oil helps. These cars can burn a quart of oil every 800 to 1k miles. Alot of people don't top off their oil and after a few oil changes with a motor running over a quart low here and there will cause problems. Stay ontop of coolant leaks and be aware of any chain rattle at start up. The majority of the timing chains I have seen go bad have been due to low oil.
Some quick preventative maintenance , check that your motor has the updated water pump(not the black plastic one) also the updated chain tensioner. I think the updated one has a hole in the middle don't quote me on that. Check the oil banjo bolt on the turbo . They get sludge on them. Might as well replace it.
Aside from that enjoy. I love my JCW.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyway, I bought a loaded dark blue 2010 Mini Cooper S yesterday, it was quite a deal, left me room for tuning. I'll check out tuning options.
Now, I have a MINI too.
Oh no! Now you can't post in the JCW forum!