JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Jcw clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 07:20 PM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jcw clutch replacement

So at 32k my 09' JCW is slipping in high gear. I did some research and was thinking about the Valeo Clutch conversion to the SMF. It seems best for the price. But there are some questions. My car has mods est hp is 250-270. Im hoping the valeo can handle it. And was hoping someone has some feed back on an install. My car is a fun car and is not a daily driver. I'm planning on calling the company Monday. If anyone has the model # that would help.
Thanks for taking the time. I hope some of you have some answers.
Phil

Old 08-14-2016, 12:40 PM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
Transmission help please

If I can get a answer please

Old 08-14-2016, 01:49 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Have you looked at the OS Giken kit.....those kind of numbers it would be at the top of my list.

When my stock clutch wears out, probably going to be a loooonnng time, I was looking at that Valeo as they make one for the R53 too, but I'm running stock JCW numbers...

OS Giken @ Way Motor Works

Old 08-14-2016, 02:05 PM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
As good as it might be $1700 is out of the question. $300-500 including SMF makes sense. The mechanic is a ex mini mechanic has done the install a lot of times. He said labor is $800. which makes sense. It's a big job. I'm calling Valeo tommo to find out if there conversion kit will work in my car and handle the power. We'll see.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:01 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
It is a lot, but includes new flywheel, about an $900 part for your MINI. If you end up needing a FW after breaking it all down, I'd go with the OSG kit for those HP numbers.

If you just install new clutch this round and he "thinks" the FW will be ok for a bit longer, no telling how long that could be. May end up paying that Off Duty MINI Tech another $800 labor down the road soon + 900 for a stock flywheel, so at that point another $1700.00 in the hole and back to square one with basically a stock set up.

When a OEM part wears out, and there is a suitable/proven reliable performance upgrade, I typically do the upgrade.....

Old 08-14-2016, 03:35 PM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
The Valeo conversion kit comes with everything for $375. But I have to find out if it can handle my mods. I'm not planning on going over 300hp. That was my goal from the beginning of this project. From the research I've done the Valeo can handle it. But I'm not doing nothing until I talk to them tommo. My guy is actually a mechanic. Which is better than a tech. I have a friend that's a great mechanic but I really don't want to hear his ****.
And I rather have someone that has done this a bunch of times. It might cost me a little more but it's worth it. And I feel the price is fair.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:03 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Both clutch and FW for 375.00 is awesome deal ! Just for Ha, ha's call Way and just tell him what your future plans are, he's a been there, done that sorta guy and no bs. Maybe he's put one in already. I'd be interested to find out how much they handle as well.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:55 PM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
I'm sure the Giken is and should be a beefier clutch. And should be for the cost. I hope I hear good news from Valeo!! If Valeo has a beefier conversion kit to the SMF if the cost is reasonable I will consider that. I am also going to discuss this with my mechanic and get his input. But he said the Valeo sounds good.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:08 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Valeo doesn't offer a conversion kit for the R56 yet, so what your buying won't fit or work. I've talked to them many times about making one for us, but they haven't yet.
So it's stock or Giken.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-16-2016, 06:22 AM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
I was looking into JM turbos it seems that they have a few choices I will contact him later

Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 PM
newman4333
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following for future reference.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MAGICIAN
I was looking into JM turbos it seems that they have a few choices I will contact him later
What did you end up going with?

Old 01-05-2017, 05:45 AM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
Clutch

I wasn't sure what your decision with the Giken. I wil probably go with JW TURBO. They know what there doing and stand behind there product. You can actually speak to Arin who is very knowledgeable and will put you in the right direction. My goal is to dyno 300hp to the wheels eventually. I don't have an unlimited budget like some people. So I pick my mods carefully. Talk soon.
Phil

Old 01-05-2017, 05:29 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
With almost 300 HP you should consider adding an LSD while the clutch is being changed. All that power going to just one tire isn't very practical. Even with an LSD, you'll still have a traction problem.

If your new flywheel is much lighter than OEM, be prepared for some nice improvement in acceleration. My experience with light flywheels shows they suck with big, slow-boosting turbos --- lose inertia at launch, so it takes forever to get moving without a lot of slipping the clutch. Once turbo is boosting, performance is awesome, just takes awhile. Talk it up with someone using one BEFORE you invest --- get a few opinions from experienced people --- maybe even a ride.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:21 AM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
I have a JCW I need to check if I have a limited slip or not. I think Quaiff is the best if I'm correct. Sometimes they sell them on Nam. We'll see. I have a good amount of mods now but the car hasn't been dynoed.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
I have a JCW I need to check if I have a limited slip or not. I think Quaiff is the best if I'm correct. Sometimes they sell them on Nam. We'll see. I have a good amount of mods now but the car hasn't been dynoed.
Both Quaiff and OS Giken are popular. I've read that they operate and perform differently --- like one is better for track and the other for straight-line. I don't know which is which, but mine is a Giken and I'm happy with it. Big difference in cost.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
I'm not really a drag racer. I rather drive curvy roads fast. So which one do you think is best.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
I'm not really a drag racer. I rather drive curvy roads fast. So which one do you think is best.
Wish I could help you, but no experience with Quaiff. Maybe talk with the retailers about the differences? Then again, price might be the deciding factor.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:45 PM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
Giken is always expensive. But you get quality. And I put a bid on for a giken clutch set up. It was brand new but he wanted more than I was willing to spend. I offered $1300 but he wanted $1500. I think the JW will be fine. Around April I will get it done. If something comes up in the mean time who knows. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:18 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Both Quaiff and OS Giken are popular. I've read that they operate and perform differently --- like one is better for track and the other for straight-line. I don't know which is which, but mine is a Giken and I'm happy with it. Big difference in cost.
How does the OEM LSD compare to the Quaiff or OST Giken? Mine has the OEM - based on your experience, would it be beneficial to replace it?

Old 01-08-2017, 08:16 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
How does the OEM LSD compare to the Quaiff or OST (looks like you've been around the Old Spanish Trail too long) Giken? Mine has the OEM - based on your experience, would it be beneficial to replace it?
Only if you're not happy with the way it works --- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" For most of us, an inoperative LSD isn't detectable --- it takes extreme operation on a track, ¼ mile or oval, for the LSD to be noticeably defective. Most LSD complaints I've read about are when on a sharp corner, at high speed --- you're on three wheels and losing traction. 'Fraid I don't know whether it's Quaiff or Giken that causes this, but it's normal operation for one of them.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:32 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think wavetrac is the only lsd that will transfer when theres zero traction on one wheel
Clutch is not so slowly is dying on mine too, started with the 5/6 gear slip but I'm sure it just isn't as noticable anywhere else
OSG would have been nice but was more than i was looking to spend.
I'm waiting for quaife lsd and jmtc stage 3 clutch/flywheel to be delivered.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:31 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Valeo doesn't offer a conversion kit for the R56 yet, so what your buying won't fit or work. I've talked to them many times about making one for us, but they haven't yet.
So it's stock or Giken.
Question for you:

I have an OSGiken clutch assembly that I bought online from an authorized seller, but I'm having trouble finding someone locally to do the installation. The responses fall into 2 categories:
  1. We don't do aftermarket parts...
  2. We don't do customer supplied parts...

Can you shed some light on what the thought process is and is there a way around it?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2017, 03:23 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your results will vary, but I had dealership swap clutch with aftermarket for me. Do a fair amount of maintenance with them, and just told them I wasn't expecting any kind of warranty as long as it moves after the install
They did not however want to install the LSD, so we worked it out with me dropping off car in morning they pulled trans. I picked it up in the afternoon, swapped the lsd and brought it back the next morning.
They do a reduced labor rate for for cars older than 5 years and free loaner

Old 01-22-2017, 03:34 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have little history with the closest dealership as I moved crosscountry about a year ago. However, they told me specifically that they don't do aftermarket parts when I asked.