JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Another new 2009 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 PM
dizengoff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another new 2009 owner

Hi all.

I recently bought a 2009 JCW in laser blue after having totaled my '09 BMW 328 M sport wagon. I live in a dense urban environment and prefer something smaller.

I've had a lot of luxury/performance cars over the years...this one is definitely exhilarating. Seems to have more pull than my old V10 Audi had, although maybe it's my imagination because it feels more visceral.

I don't really understand the trim levels in this model. I've got the engine tune, cloth checkered seats and cheesy looking flag emblem on the passenger side dashboard. I don't have the same body trim as other models though. No side skirt trim like some of the JCW's I've seen.

I think I prefer the modern sport seats in the newer Mini's. The R56 seats are marginal at best. Has anyone attempted a seat transplant?

Also, where do you guys shift? I've got the 6 speed (Getrag?) transmission. I've owned some cars with high revving engines where shift points were at 6k or 7k, but I'm not sure this car feels like the engine is equipped for that?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
You sure you got a factory JCW, and not an MCS with the dealer installed JCW ECU tune? With the fJCW you should have the red Brembo brakes (can't get those as a factory option, but can buy them from Mini aftermarket) and the body kit (which you can get on the MCS from the factory. On that the plastic below the doors is smooth and painted body color, not the black plastic like the fender skirts. The factory JCW also comes with a bigger turbocharger, but you can't see that difference.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 AM
dizengoff
1st Gear
The VIN decoder says JCW.

I've got the Brembo brakes, JCW badges, the cheesy checkered flag decal on the passenger side, 6 speed Getrag, and the JCW interior. I have black plastic side skirts, same color as the fender skirts.

I've seen other JCW's that look like this, too.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Some early JCW's came without the JCW aero kit which would explain the lack of the side skirt you saw on other JCW's. The VIN looks like it is indeed a factory JCW. There's no real trim models aside from the Cooper Base, S, and JCW levels. On each level the standard features remain largely the same, and all the option packages are available on each trim. MINIs are highly customizable which leads to flexibility in price but also can boggle your mind when a car is ordered with 90% of the features but lacks basic things like auto AC.

There are factory recaro seats built for the MINI but they are quite expensive. In terms of shift points, in my old 08 S in flat out acceleration i would shift up around 6k since it runs a little out of breath after that. But that's only my butt dyno talking, it could be wrong. Around town I zip around accelerating to around 3-4k per gear, no need to redline it.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Real OEM confirms your vin as a JCW. Congratulations on the purchase. Would love to see some pictures.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Jcw

What a great find, congratulations!

Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 PM
dizengoff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Real OEM confirms your vin as a JCW. Congratulations on the purchase. Would love to see some pictures.

Here's one at the dealership.

Here's a less than scenic shot in front of the garage.

I'm glad to see Pelican as a part of this forum. I bought from you guys extensively a couple years back when I restored my 911SC...I must've paid for a few of Wayne's new toys, LOL.

Originally Posted by Mini Mania
What a great find, congratulations!
Thanks, it's a blast to drive. These things are so cheap to modify...I don't want to go overboard but I'm thinking new intercooler at the very least. I'd really love to get my hands on one of the aero body kits as well.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dizengoff

Here's one at the dealership.

Here's a less than scenic shot in front of the garage.

I'm glad to see Pelican as a part of this forum. I bought from you guys extensively a couple years back when I restored my 911SC...I must've paid for a few of Wayne's new toys, LOL.
I'm happy to hear that we were able to help you with the restoration of your SC! We are here if you need anything for your new-to-you MINI as well. It looks like it's in great condition. Congrats again.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-25-2016, 11:14 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah maybe you don't have the aero kit because mine has those plastic things below the door painted body color. But I'm sure you got the bigger turbocharger and aren't those brakes killer? How much was that bad boy may I ask? I have the Recaros, they were a $2700 option on mine new, they are heated. A little steep IMO. No longer an option on any new Mini.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM
dizengoff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Yeah maybe you don't have the aero kit because mine has those plastic things below the door painted body color. But I'm sure you got the bigger turbocharger and aren't those brakes killer? How much was that bad boy may I ask? I have the Recaros, they were a $2700 option on mine new, they are heated. A little steep IMO. No longer an option on any new Mini.
The brakes are amazing...easily as good the best cars I've ever driven.

I got the engine package and bigger turbo. I think I paid about $13k; it's got 47k miles on it.