JCW Suspension or Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 03:22 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Suspension or Exhaust

If you had to choose between the JCW Pro suspension or JCW Pro exhaust, which one should I choose.

Don't think my wife would be thrilled about me doing either since the car is brand new, but might be able to get away with one.

I put the GP2 coilovers on my 2009 JCW, and the change in handling was noticeable. Just like then, I'd be going from the stock sports suspension to the coilover setup. I've never messed with exhaust systems before, but the JCW Pro exhaust really sounds great.

Just thought I'd see what more learned people would do. I've got absolutely no complaints about my current setup, especially since this car won't be getting anywhere near a track in the near future.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:52 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I've resisted any mods so far, the stock JCW is so sweet just "as-is" imo!

John

Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I've resisted any mods so far, the stock JCW is so sweet just "as-is" imo!

John
The voice of reason!! Thanks. Yeah, really don't need to sink anything more into the loaded JCW. It's so easy to get sucked into the mod routine.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:33 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
suspension have and love it . on a fjcw the exhaust will only add sound.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:34 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
The voice of reason!! Thanks. Yeah, really don't need to sink anything more into the loaded JCW. It's so easy to get sucked into the mod routine.
Doesn't mean you can't go ahead and horde some goodies though! LOL! I think we all have that addiction!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:20 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Doesn't mean you can't go ahead and horde some goodies though! LOL! I think we all have that addiction!
I got a little out of hand with my last JCW:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/06/...to-the-jcw-gp/

Old 12-01-2015, 11:00 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
I got a little out of hand with my last JCW:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/06/...to-the-jcw-gp/

What's not to love about that one?! Even has a good number. One of the LAP Motorsports MINI JCW race cars is No. 37!

If you're in Texas, I'm sure you'll be at the Circuit of the Americas when The Continental Tire Challenge Series races the MINI JCW's there! LOL! I'm gonna try to go to Watkins Glen next summer to see them race...should be fun with the MINI car corral and all! :-)

Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If you were really wanting to do one, I'd probably go the exhaust route. That's the first thing I did with my vehicle when I first got it and then suspension once it needed to be done.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Exhaust. The sport suspension is already pretty sweet IMO. You hear the exhaust all the time, only use the suspension some of the time.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Love the differences of opinion. One question though, are you motoring or listening? If you live where all roads are locked on the four cardinal points and every change of direction is a 90 degree turn, then listen. If you got motoring roads where suspension/handling are called for then motor .

Old 12-01-2015, 05:23 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Love the differences of opinion. One question though, are you motoring or listening? If you live where all roads are locked on the four cardinal points and every change of direction is a 90 degree turn, then listen. If you got motoring roads where suspension/handling are called for then motor .
I live in downtown Dallas. The traffic sucks, and the roads are worse. I got the full hood and front done with Xpel Ultimate because of the road debris on the highways that chipped up my past couple of MINIs. I've had it since August and I've only got 251 miles on it. Took it out tonight for a quick trip around, and nearly hit a sinkhole forming outside my building from all the recent rains. Needless the say, it's very disappointing not to get a chance to really drive it around here because of the traffic and poor roads. Nevertheless, it was great to get out and hear the standard exhaust note tonight in Sport mode. I can't wait until spring when hopefully, I can take it for a road trip away from the city and onto some decent winding roads.

Definitely will head out to Austin next September to see the MINIs race.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I ordered my 2003 R53, my neighbors laughed at me because I had aftermarket exhaust and lowering springs in the garage weeks before I got the car. The brand new car was on jack stands being modded the first weekend I had the car. Luckily my wife understood.

If you can only do one mod, I would do suspension because I like the lowered look on the Mini.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I live in downtown Dallas. The traffic sucks, and the roads are worse. I got the full hood and front done with Xpel Ultimate because of the road debris on the highways that chipped up my past couple of MINIs. I've had it since August and I've only got 251 miles on it. Took it out tonight for a quick trip around, and nearly hit a sinkhole forming outside my building from all the recent rains. Needless the say, it's very disappointing not to get a chance to really drive it around here because of the traffic and poor roads. Nevertheless, it was great to get out and hear the standard exhaust note tonight in Sport mode. I can't wait until spring when hopefully, I can take it for a road trip away from the city and onto some decent winding roads.

Definitely will head out to Austin next September to see the MINIs race.
After all that a getaway sounds like a huge relief. If you'd like to really get away put MITO on your calendar. A long weekend in October at Eureka Springs AR with some unbelievable day trips.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:34 PM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F55MidnightBlackCooperS
suspension have and love it . on a fjcw the exhaust will only add sound.
This.

The change in handling is noticeable with an upgraded suspension. Less front-end lift and dive, less yaw, flatter cornering, etc. With an exhaust? Unless used in conjunction with other performance upgrades, the "gains" are just placebo.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I chose the JCW Pro coilovers to make the MINI feel like a proper hot hatch.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:18 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I chose the JCW Pro coilovers to make the MINI feel like a proper hot hatch.

Ryan,

How much did that lower your car? Are you still running the stock track spokes & tires?

John

Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
As you know they're adjustable, but I have mine 1 1/4" lower than stock, which retains OEM amounts of compression travel. The JCW springs and dampers match the grip level of the factory summer tires much better than the "sport" suspension.

Of course, the stance is much better without all that wheel gap. IMO, it's a win-win-win. Handling, proper sporting ride, and aesthetics all improved. I still firmly believe it's how all JCW's should have left the factory.

Just as a point of perspective, it's still markedly more comfortable everyday than the original early SS+ in the R53's.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I have to say the newer JCW parts are really pretty good as we have installed a few of them already so it's a hard decision. Here is how my mind works:

Suspension will make the car look so much better just a little lower and really brings back the MINI feeling to the F56. And the JCW pro kit is made by KW, so then I think it would be a better buy to go with the KW V2 kit and get the adjustable valving the JCW kit doesn't give.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/kw-vari...overs-f56.html

Now for the JCW tune kit with exh. It is good as you get the exhaust with the great sound, and the tune for more power.
Downside: price, weight of exhaust.
Alternative: Remus exhaust http://www.waymotorworks.com/remus-r...-cooper-s.html
with a tuning module http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-f56...ng-module.html

Food for thought as none of the options are really bad it will just come down to what you want and budget.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-02-2015, 11:31 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I have to say the newer JCW parts are really pretty good as we have installed a few of them already so it's a hard decision. Here is how my mind works:

Suspension will make the car look so much better just a little lower and really brings back the MINI feeling to the F56. And the JCW pro kit is made by KW, so then I think it would be a better buy to go with the KW V2 kit and get the adjustable valving the JCW kit doesn't give.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/kw-vari...overs-f56.html

Now for the JCW tune kit with exh. It is good as you get the exhaust with the great sound, and the tune for more power.
Downside: price, weight of exhaust.
Alternative: Remus exhaust http://www.waymotorworks.com/remus-r...-cooper-s.html
with a tuning module http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-f56...ng-module.html

Food for thought as none of the options are really bad it will just come down to what you want and budget.
I'd go with suspension first since it makes the car better in many more ways than just sound.
Do the suspension right the first time. I had Eibach springs before my KW V2 and definitely would recommend a coilover rather than springs if budget allows. Rye has done extensive testing on the benefits of coilovers, check his unboxing thread.

JCW kit vs adjustable KW:
1) the JCW has some additional parts like rubber spring collars which I believe would improve on NVH.
2) the KW lowers the car more. My rear perch is mid way up in order to get the same height as Rye. I believe his is all the way to the bottom.
3) think hard whether you really need adjustability or not. The KW rear adjustment is not accessible from the trunk. The front is very accessible. I have mine set at 12 clicks from full hard and have not touched it since then.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:50 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Yeah - I had the GP2 coilovers put on the 2009 JCW, and really found the suspension change to be great over the SS.

What I gather is that it's pretty darn noticeable over the 2016 sports suspension, too.

I'm wondering what NVH is in regards to the rubber spring collars on the JCW Pro kit.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by BadakVT
I'd go with suspension first since it makes the car better in many more ways than just sound.
Do the suspension right the first time. I had Eibach springs before my KW V2 and definitely would recommend a coilover rather than springs if budget allows. Rye has done extensive testing on the benefits of coilovers, check his unboxing thread.

JCW kit vs adjustable KW:
1) the JCW has some additional parts like rubber spring collars which I believe would improve on NVH.
2) the KW lowers the car more. My rear perch is mid way up in order to get the same height as Rye. I believe his is all the way to the bottom.
3) think hard whether you really need adjustability or not. The KW rear adjustment is not accessible from the trunk. The front is very accessible. I have mine set at 12 clicks from full hard and have not touched it since then.
Excellent information, thanks for posting!

...I'm wondering what NVH is in regards to the rubber spring collars on the JCW Pro kit.
NVH = Noise Vibration Harshness.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:01 PM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
do the suspension.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Ryan - Do still have the stock "sport" sway bar on your car?

Old 12-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Yup. It seems to have quite neutral balance. I'm not itching to install a stiffer rear sway bar like on previous generation MINI's.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Well, after reading Ryan's unboxing thread over and over, I finally pulled the trigger on the JCW Pro suspension. Way's price including shipping is great compared to what my dealer would do, and I'm going to have the local guys at Texas Track Works install it once it gets here. I'll update with my impressions then.

Quick Reply: JCW Suspension or Exhaust