JCW Lemon Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Plus I haven't even gotten into the boring looks, even the fabled "R" Series.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:16 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Hamptup - I owned an F56 MCS. Driven a GTI. You can't get a test drive in an R. A local VW dealer has a white one where the deal "flaked". I'm looking at it tomorrow. Not keen on white though. The GTI drives heavy compared to the MINI's. The thing with the R is it is so powerful but how often can you really use it...?
hemisedan- 2 series are cool but expensive unless you order a base model. In Canada they are $55k on the road before you sneeze!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:28 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Hamptup - I owned an F56 MCS. Driven a GTI. You can't get a test drive in an R. A local VW dealer has a white one where the deal "flaked". I'm looking at it tomorrow. Not keen on white though. The GTI drives heavy compared to the MINI's. The thing with the R is it is so powerful but how often can you really use it...?
hemisedan- 2 series are cool but expensive unless you order a base model. In Canada they are $55k on the road before you sneeze!
The reason that I mentioned the 2 Series BMW is that I've really considered this to a factory JCW. Not the m235, but the 228i with the M and Track Package, toss in the Cold Package, Light Package and maybe even the Technology Package. The MSRP is still in the $42K range, and the way that BMW WILL deal, you can be in this thing for around $38K, toss out the NAV and you're in there for around $37. I don't know about your MINI dealers, but the ones that I've seen, except for one dealer in the Chicago area, especially on the new factory JCW, you don't get any real deals.

Then throw in the lease factor, which is what I will do, and the BMW looks very enticing. The leases are not that far off and then, it depends on which one you want, the 228i M sport, or the JCW. Where I am at now is that I'll probably go with the JCW if the deal is where I think it will be. It would probably be only about $20 a month more for the BMW, but it is still bigger, 23" longer to be exact. Insurance is less on the BMW for my insurance company, plus the Bimmer is faster. 0-60 with the 8-speed automatic is in the mid 5's or less, depending on who you believe. And just think, that 2.0 is very close to the 2.0 that is in the JCW. Anyway, just some thoughts, and the way I've been thinking.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Sat in a Golf R this morning. A guy had bailed from the deal so it was up for grabs.
Seems huge compared with the MINI. nicely done though. Well thought out. the seats are way nicer quality than the MINI leather seats.
Not sure if I could live with such a big car! There is so much room in the back. Wow...I'm so slanted .....been driving MINI's for 3 gens and some!
No tech package on this car so it is not a contender but they are cool cars in a subtle way. Today the dealer is meant to let me know on the driving lights. So we will see.
I'm gong to check out the 2 series but not sure on the rear wheel drive. Also wold have to wait 3 months for a 2016 stick shift....

Old 07-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
When I sat in the Golf R I couldn't get past the obvious transitions between leather and vinyl. It took "leather seating surfaces" too literally. That and they're super pear shaped just like the other Mk7 cars, so I slide around in the seats like crazy, so just right there the Mk7 crossed itself off my short list.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:20 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
There was a review in the Arizona Republic on the Golf R. I think it was about 40 grand. He said it was faster than sh*t of course. Liked the handling. Said it was BIG. And "2007 called and said they want their infotainment system back".

Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Happy to report that I am still a MINI customer. They did the right thing and gave me the driving lights (I have to install them myself). Also the Tach/Speedo has been built and Vin encoded and is on it's way. Hopefully as Ryephile has predicted they get it right on the second try! I'm hope the part gets here this week.....yahoo!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crossing my fingers!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
That's good news! It sounds like the story should end well.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:43 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Yeah if anybody is due a break it's you. I think I'd be driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee if I were you. That's actually a pretty good looking SUV. I had a couple of those before the Mini.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:29 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
My wife wants to go "modern". I buy an electric car - so she can drive it to work and I drive her Q5 Audi. I'm not sure I'm ready to go "modern" - stick shift JCW could not be further from that. This will probably be my last gas powered car though.....I'll keep it for a while if they can get it to run!!
Thanks for all the support. - Just received my new NM rear sway bar. Black blind ring and my updated Burger stage 1 from Terry. ...so this had better happen!

Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Get a new wife. wink. wink!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GregoryK
My wife wants to go "modern". I buy an electric car - so she can drive it to work and I drive her Q5 Audi. I'm not sure I'm ready to go "modern" - stick shift JCW could not be further from that. This will probably be my last gas powered car though.....I'll keep it for a while if they can get it to run!!
Thanks for all the support. - Just received my new NM rear sway bar. Black blind ring and my updated Burger stage 1 from Terry. ...so this had better happen!
GK,

What did Terry/Burger do to your Stage 1. My JCW is due to go down the production line next week (8/4/15) and I've pulled my BT in anticipation of the JCW inheriting it. Is there something I should have Burger do to make it more suited to the JCW before it arrives?

PW

Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
PW. Had a problem with one of the connectors. He replaced that and upgraded the software. Nothing particular to they JCW model. I probably won't use it for a while. The JCW seems quick right out of the box! :-)

Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I can't imagine putting a Burgertune on an F56 fJCW. Those cars are already screaming GIMME A TICKET!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I can't imagine putting a Burgertune on an F56 fJCW. Those cars are already screaming GIMME A TICKET!
You will after about six months and you're use to the stock power. It's funny how so much power in the beginning seems so normal after a couple of months or six.

I remember my 67 Plymouth GTX hemi, back in the old days. It was so powerful, 425 advertised horsepower, 480 ft lbs torque, but after a bit, headers went on, a shift kit in the trans, and a blueprint head/valve job and all of a sudden it woke up. It's all interesting.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM
fean07
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to gather feedback before to get stage 1 for my jcw but at the moment want able to find much.

Seems we can push a +5psi with stage 1 which could give +40wtq

Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Helmisedan - I'm with you. Can't believe how slow the MCS felt when I pulled the stage 1. By the way the car about is a stock 2015 JCW engine...with straight pipes...! Liar.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Once you get used to cars that are actually quick, even a chipped JCW will only seem "adequate". It's all relative. Obviously the quicker the car is the less you actually use the full travel of the Go pedal on public roads.

To me it's more important the car feels like it has a good overall balance. A good mix of handling, braking, and power, and everyone has their own definition of what proportion defines a good balance.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:18 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Here's an update. The car has been sitting in the dealer lot for a month. As stated they initially send the wrong part as predicted by Ryan (above). It has 2 1/2 weeks and the replacement part is not here. I am now out of town on a job and will be back in town on the 18th - that's 5 1/2 weeks later than when I was initially promised the car.
The parts department don't seem to be following up but my Salesman thinks the car will be ready on the 19th.
This is absolutely MINI's last chance to sort this. I will order a different brand of car and wait for it to come no matter what if I am not driving my JCW by August 19th. It is hard to believe that they could drop the ball with this issue but at this point I could care which way the dice roll....

Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Sheesh, I feel really bad for you. What a catastrophe. :(

Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
My dealer was trying to get me to feel sorry for BMW/Mini Canada. Apparently there is a massive recall and they have to destroy 1000's of cars because a massive ice storm back in winter. I must admit I feel sorry for the insurance companies!

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall...54492r-eng.php

Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
At one point I was talking to my dealer about ordering a fresh one because we didn't know the situation yet. MINI Canada should be bending over backwards to get you a functioning car. As the saying goes "don't make it tough for the customer to give you money", and yet, here they are trying to make you feel guilty and stringing you along. Not cool. At this point you should be getting love letters from MINI Canada about how they're actually expediting a solution, and not just lip service.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:33 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Never, let me say it again, NEVER feel sorry for an insurance company. Just think about all the premiums that you pay each year, then think about feeling sorry for them.

Quick Reply: JCW Lemon Part 2