Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 AM
jamgolf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Tuning Modules ... (Options)

Just came across this MaxPower tuning module from Maxi-Tuner:
http://www.motoringexposure.com/3222...fordable-boost

I can't find any info about how this module works - does it need to be installed or just a simple plug-able unit.
I will send them an email too.

Does anyone have prior experience with Maxi-Tuner?
What other options are there for 2015 JCWs ?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
990 Euro ~ 1100 USD

Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Apparently the BM tune works on the JCW. It is much more reasonably priced. I have used it on my MCS. Makes a massive difference with way more torque.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 AM
jamgolf
1st Gear
Maxi-Tune is certainly not cheap, but it seems to have a lot of press on the web specifically in relation to JCW. Power and torque gains are decent. But I really do not know what the reality is, since all tuners will claim non-intrusion, safety, reversibility and power gains etc. etc.

I am sure there are other options - such as BM tune. Lets use this thread to list them for future reference, along with data such as price, horsepower gain, torque gain, status (alpha, beta, production), ease of installation and un-installation, reputation etc.

Cheers!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Not sure if your checked Terry's post on the JCW in the main tread. They played with it and he posted all sorts of graphs. They are working on a specific time for the JCW. Check it out you will find it interesting.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Burger is making 270+bhp +310wtq on E85 fuel. Standard fuel will net what my S is putting down bhp which around 260bhp but less torque than mine but still strong 270wtq.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 AM
jamgolf
1st Gear
According to their website, Burger Tuning Stage 1 is a beta version - not production/release version. I think that should be factored into the price.

I am sure many are using it happily. Personally I am reluctant to use my new car as a beta tester for someone's pre-production product. If I had an older car, or one outside of warranty period, I would probably not hesitate.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by jamgolf
According to their website, Burger Tuning Stage 1 is a beta version - not production/release version. I think that should be factored into the price.

I am sure many are using it happily. Personally I am reluctant to use my new car as a beta tester for someone's pre-production product. If I had an older car, or one outside of warranty period, I would probably not hesitate.
It's not pre-production. It's been the same for years they just didn't bother to change it from beta. I think it's $400 for the F56 and $300 for the R56. It's been used on fJCW cars they recommend the 30% setting as I recall. If I wanted more power I'd go with it. It seems like the most widely used tuner around here.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:37 AM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked last week in another thread if the Stage 1 is still considered beta and Terry confirmed with a 'yes'. I'm still planning to order it.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:55 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
I have had that tune on my car and it has not been perfect. eventually I was told to unplug the first plug and it was pretty good after that. The engine would cut out and ruin error codes..

Old 07-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
I have had that tune on my car and it has not been perfect. eventually I was told to unplug the first plug and it was pretty good after that. The engine would cut out and ruin error codes..
You don't have a "tune", you have a piggyback that manipulates the MAP to confuse the ECU to give you more boost. Confuse it enough and it'll cause the torque calculation to give an erroneous output, thus causing your problems. You can only push MAP sensor piggybacks so far, as you're finding out.

Because of the nature of the MAP piggyback, it'll work better in certain weather patterns than others. i.e. it might work fine in winter but might cause all sorts of limp-home and CELs in summer, or vice versa.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:52 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Ryephile. Of course I use the word "tune" loosely. Thanks for the valuable insight. The point I'm making is that the BM unit is still beta for a reason. I am still not unhappy with the purchase though.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Agreed, if you want to push the envelope it's not always a smooth path.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Agreed, if you want to push the envelope it's not always a smooth path.
With the JCW turbocharger and that 2.0 engine you shouldn't need no more stinking boost. That thing must be a beast.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
With the JCW turbocharger and that 2.0 engine you shouldn't need no more stinking boost. That thing must be a beast.
The Cooper S and JCW turbo's are still listed as the same part number, which is also listed as the turbo for the BMW 225i, FWIW.

As for needing more power, it's all relative to what you're used to. I find the JCW's power to be nicely balanced to the factory handling and braking. Add sticky tires and a higher suspension wheel rate, and more power and higher mu pads will be on the to-do list.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
I am very happy with the Burger unit. Car can not put down what I have off the line but its a beast when rolling. I will definitely move the Burger unit to the JCW once I order it but that's two years away since I am in a lease. Not sure what's not to like about the unit. Really wakes up the car and imo puts it where it should be. It's fast enough to completely dust a ST Focus and a modded GTI.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 AM
jamgolf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jamesdean
I am very happy with the Burger unit. Car can not put down what I have off the line but its a beast when rolling. I will definitely move the Burger unit to the JCW once I order it but that's two years away since I am in a lease. Not sure what's not to like about the unit. Really wakes up the car and imo puts it where it should be. It's fast enough to completely dust a ST Focus and a modded GTI.
Glad to hear that you like the Burger unit - have you not encountered error codes, limp mode etc. ?

Everyone's tolerance is different - personally I am not interested in anything thats going to be potentially problematic. When a manufacturer does not change the product status from beta to production, that indicates existence of unresolved issues/bugs, for which a fix has not been determined. It may be fine for early adopters and beta testers who are willing to accept the annoyances, risks etc. but people with lower tolerances (such as myself) normally stay clear of beta versions.

BTW - I sent a note to Maxi-Tuner asking for details/clarifications and have not heard back. That does not give me a lot of confidence either.

Are there any other options available for JCWs?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 AM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear that you like the Burger unit - have you not encountered error codes, limp mode etc. ?

Everyone's tolerance is different - personally I am not interested in anything thats going to be potentially problematic. When a manufacturer does not change the product status from beta to production, that indicates existence of unresolved issues/bugs, for which a fix has not been determined. It may be fine for early adopters and beta testers who are willing to accept the annoyances, risks etc. but people with lower tolerances (such as myself) normally stay clear of beta versions.

BTW - I sent a note to Maxi-Tuner asking for details/clarifications and have not heard back. That does not give me a lot of confidence either.

Nm-eng has one that seems very reliable. I spoke to them a while back and they said Hendrick Mini bought a bunch of them. It seems solid as I don't recall anyone reporting issues with it.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 AM
jamgolf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by knecht
Nm-eng has one that seems very reliable. I spoke to them a while back and they said Hendrick Mini bought a bunch of them. It seems solid as I don't recall anyone reporting issues with it.
Cool. Thanks for mentioning it.
I will look it up.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:20 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear

Since they changed it for the b46 I have had zero issues. It also works on the JCW BTW. I have adjusted the boost to +6 now...car goes like stink

Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 AM
NHcountryman
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdean
Since they changed it for the b46 I have had zero issues. It also works on the JCW BTW. I have adjusted the boost to +6 now...car goes like stink

Hey James, which unit you referring to .....Burger?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 PM
e46jb
4th Gear
I would assume you can get a Cobb Accessport in the next few months.