JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Replacing run flats on 11 jcw need rec

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
JUST shootin the sh*t dude. No worries. Obviously you do whatever suits you. Just thinking out loud on the subject. Be happy and prosper. I vote for tubeless 205 Continental Extremecontact.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 AM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I initially bought our mini it came with runflats on a sport suspension. It handled like it was on rails but nearly jarred your teeth on rough roads. I couldn't take it and sold them and switched to tubeless. Went with Dunlops and was fairly happy with the softer ride quality but the lost some of its cornering snappiness. Also the car was slightly quicker do to the lighter conventional tire over runflats which were heavier.
I guess the real deal breaker with conventional tires was having to carry a spare. Around 25K I switched from stock struts and installed Koni FSD struts. The difference in ride quality was so much that with the conventional tires it made the car ride very plush and soft. Great ride if you like that but it wasn't as fun so I switch back to factory Michelins runflats and now have great ride quality and still retained the snappy handling.

Continental Extremes are a good choice but it'll have a softer sidewall which means aggressive turn in won't be a sharp as the runflats.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Now You Have Me Going Back

TO RUNFLATS.

I WANT TO KEEP THAT SNAPPY TURNING.

NO MR SOFTIE CORNERING.

Thanks!

Which runflats do you recommend?

Originally Posted by hamptup
When I initially bought our mini it came with runflats on a sport suspension. It handled like it was on rails but nearly jarred your teeth on rough roads. I couldn't take it and sold them and switched to tubeless. Went with Dunlops and was fairly happy with the softer ride quality but the lost some of its cornering snappiness. Also the car was slightly quicker do to the lighter conventional tire over runflats which were heavier.
I guess the real deal breaker with conventional tires was having to carry a spare. Around 25K I switched from stock struts and installed Koni FSD struts. The difference in ride quality was so much that with the conventional tires it made the car ride very plush and soft. Great ride if you like that but it wasn't as fun so I switch back to factory Michelins runflats and now have great ride quality and still retained the snappy handling.

Continental Extremes are a good choice but it'll have a softer sidewall which means aggressive turn in won't be a sharp as the runflats.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:43 AM
johnso56
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you gotta try out the RE11, it runs great

Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With TPS blowouts are rare. You get a nail and the tire goes down slowly whether you have a run flat or not. I would ditch them for the smoother ride and instead of a big bulky spare just go to harbor freight and get a plug kit and a bicycle pump. You are out of there for 15.00 and have peace of mind again. This setup has saved my hide several times, Ive never been stranded. Even if you have run flats I would do this so you can go longer than 50 miles if you have to. 10 pumps = 1 PSI.

I have the sport suspension and mine came with continental run flats. What you call snappy, in my experience was you hit a pot hole and end up in the next lane. I got tired of that so I went non run flat and went up to 215 45 17 and I added NM springs. Ride is nearly perfect still even with about 60K on the lowered springs on stock sport dampers. Maybe with FSD I would be singing a different tune however. I am thinking of going back to the non runflat version of the continentals that came with the car or some other stock size replacment. Problem was those run flats were nail magnets. I never got so many flats in my life. The bicycle pump and patch kit got me out of all of them. I have not got one flat with the non run flats and they lasted 2 times as long. I am using Federal 595's. same experience on the wifes JCW clubman. Stock dunlop runflats ran smoother than the conti's but were pothole magnets. We lost 3 of them within 10K miles. switched to Federal 595s and we got 50K miles trouble free and no flats.

Last edited by HZBJCW; 07-07-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:19 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by HZBJCW
. Problem was those run flats were nail magnets. I never got so many flats in my life. The bicycle pump and patch kit got me out of all of them. I have not got one flat with the non run flats and they lasted 2 times as long. I am using Federal 595's. same experience on the wifes JCW clubman. Stock dunlop runflats ran smoother than the conti's but were pothole magnets. We lost 3 of them within 10K miles. switched to Federal 595s and we got 50K miles trouble free and no flats.

Me too. Had RFs a total or 4 years: 3 flats. Had non RFs total of 4 years: Zero flats. NonRFs cost half as much, last twice as long, ride better, less flats. Any questions?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:48 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Me too. Had RFs a total or 4 years: 3 flats. Had non RFs total of 4 years: Zero flats. NonRFs cost half as much, last twice as long, ride better, less flats. Any questions?
I never had problems with run flats on previous performance cars. I believe overall they are safer but I agree a bit harsh on rough pavement.

As a matter of preference, I will still install run flats when time will come for peace of mind. The compact spare is not even an option because it cannot be installed at the front as I read on other posts.